Different housing/accommodation types

I'm Australian, married with two kids (4 & 7).
My husband is looking at a 12 month contract working in Malaysia. He currently travels back on forth every couple of months. We are thinking that bringing the kids and moving to KL for a year would be a great experience.

I've been looking into housing and am wondering if anyone can explain to me the different types of housing - condos, apartments, townhouses, bungalows etc.
What type is most suitable to families? And what areas are best for families?

Your elder child will need to be close to an international school unless you plan on home schooling. That will decide on good areas to live (http://schooladvisor.my/?p=features%2Fc … r-selangor).  There is an Australian curriculum school close to The Mines.

It is also quite important that your husband has an easy commute to his office so this will also play into any plans of where to live. 

Types of property:

Condos - apartments that have facilities such as security, a swimming pool, gym, playground, tennis court, squash court, running track etc.
Apartments - usually just a group of flats (probably low rise)  without any facilities(occasionally have a swimming pool)
Townhouses - link or semi-detached houses with 2-3.5 floors
Bungalows - landed properties - semi-detached or detached - can have one or several floors
Serviced Apartment - cleaning and bed-making facilities but more spacious than a hotel room, possibly with kitchenette
Gated Communities - groups of houses that have guards at the entrance - some have communal facilities such as a swimming pool etc.

Hello,

I think Gravitas have give a good explanation to the types of accommodation and the difference. But my question to you is? what type of experience you want to provide to your family? Couple of areas which has different environment and lifestyle is a little bit different. Here are the list of experience I can describe in some areas

Gita Bayu Sri Kembangan - trees, feel at ease, slow pace and relaxing
Mout Kiara- buildings, busy, expats favourite
KLCC- rush hour, fast pace and city

Hope this give you an idea where would you like to live.