Top hiring sectors in Shenzhen

Hi,

let's talk about job opportunities in Shenzhen.

What are the top hiring sectors?

And according to you, what are the most promising job sectors, which will keep creating jobs in Shenzhen?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Julien

Language education is rapant in SZ. There aren't enough native English speakers residing in Shenzhen to fill all the available spaces in kindergarten, schools, training centers.
Spanish and French are also popular.
Mandarine schools are constantly popping up as well.

Tencent has it's office here in Shenzhen. So the entire IT sector is always in need any thing to do with the manufacturing and distribution of electronics from Computers to phones to any piece of electronics junk uou can imagine.

@Kris N - thank you for the sharing of information :)

Thanks, Kris.
You seem very familiar with this city!
I am Chinese and now i am in electronics business in shekou.

Shekou opened up to the western world with BP and other oil giants some 20 - 30 years ago.
It's now the hub for westerners to live, eat, shop and educate their kids. Though the expat community is small (7-8000 registered and known foreigners) it's vibrant. There are so many community groups that I can't recall them all hahaha!
There are about a dozen international schools and special education schools. Shenzhen still sits in GZ shadow as far as a full support enviroment. But SZ is so much cleaner and modern than GZ.
So as far as hiring sectors go... they're numerous from Shenzhen Airlines to British Peroleum to Tencent (QQ) and more. Shenzhen actually has a huge faucet manufacturing sector as well with Khoeler and Gessi topping out the extremely high end hardware.
Electronics is still the biggest and that's what Shenzhen has become famous for. So anything to do with phones, TVs, etc is still the largest single most hiring sector.
Like most large cities in China the manufacturing and or offices are spread out throughout the city. There's no 1 single "industrial park". So someone coming to SZ may be working in Bao'An or Longgang and not neccessarily in Shekou/Nanshan or Futian and Luohu which are the city centers.

I might add... as far as liesure is concerned in this city. I'd say cycling is tops especially along Shenzhenwan Park. There's gotta be anywhere from 10-20 Kms of cycling path that's safe to ride on.
Golf is a huge sport here as well and SZ has the worlds largest golf course Mission Hills as well as another half dozen beautiful courses in the heart of the city such as OCT golf club.

If anyone has been offered a job in SZ they should truly consider it. It's a wonderful modern city with an amazing subway system in 3 languages (Mandarin, Cantonese and English). More bus routes and stops than anyone could fathom. Thousands upon thousands of taxis running 24/7 (starting at 10rmb for the red cabs and local green cabs start at 6rmb). There's tons of liesure activities, expats communities, more parks than you can shake a stick at. Amusement parks, theatres, bars, hot spots and on and on.

If I was asked... "what's the down side?". I would say that SZ is a transient city. People come and go for work. But that includes the Chinese coming from all corners of the country. The city is modern but the people are somewhat still ass-backwards. I can count on one hand the number of true Shenzheners I have met in the past 3 years. True SZers are as civilized as one can imagine... but have been over run by every other person coming from mountain top villages. So be prepared for being stared at and rude comments (on rare occasions). Also inevitably you'll be asked by strangers to pose for pictures with family or friends for what ever reason. Expect to hear "Hallo!" shouted from across the street, in your face or from a 2nd or 3rd storey window. It's part of life here. It's strange (if anyone knows this area) when I lived in Buji Zai I never was stared at or harrassed for photos and this part of Buji is the complete opposite of what modern SZ is today... so go figure???

Kris

Missing B

Kris N wrote:

Shekou opened up to the western world with BP and other oil giants some 20 - 30 years ago.
It's now the hub for westerners to live, eat, shop and educate their kids. Though the expat community is small (7-8000 registered and known foreigners) it's vibrant. There are so many community groups that I can't recall them all hahaha!
There are about a dozen international schools and special education schools. Shenzhen still sits in GZ shadow as far as a full support enviroment. But SZ is so much cleaner and modern than GZ.
So as far as hiring sectors go... they're numerous from Shenzhen Airlines to British Peroleum to Tencent (QQ) and more. Shenzhen actually has a huge faucet manufacturing sector as well with Khoeler and Gessi topping out the extremely high end hardware.
Electronics is still the biggest and that's what Shenzhen has become famous for. So anything to do with phones, TVs, etc is still the largest single most hiring sector.
Like most large cities in China the manufacturing and or offices are spread out throughout the city. There's no 1 single "industrial park". So someone coming to SZ may be working in Bao'An or Longgang and not neccessarily in Shekou/Nanshan or Futian and Luohu which are the city centers.

I might add... as far as liesure is concerned in this city. I'd say cycling is tops especially along Shenzhenwan Park. There's gotta be anywhere from 10-20 Kms of cycling path that's safe to ride on.
Golf is a huge sport here as well and SZ has the worlds largest golf course Mission Hills as well as another half dozen beautiful courses in the heart of the city such as OCT golf club.

If anyone has been offered a job in SZ they should truly consider it. It's a wonderful modern city with an amazing subway system in 3 languages (Mandarin, Cantonese and English). More bus routes and stops than anyone could fathom. Thousands upon thousands of taxis running 24/7 (starting at 10rmb for the red cabs and local green cabs start at 6rmb). There's tons of liesure activities, expats communities, more parks than you can shake a stick at. Amusement parks, theatres, bars, hot spots and on and on.

If I was asked... "what's the down side?". I would say that SZ is a transient city. People come and go for work. But that includes the Chinese coming from all corners of the country. The city is modern but the people are somewhat still ass-backwards. I can count on one hand the number of true Shenzheners I have met in the past 3 years. True SZers are as civilized as one can imagine... but have been over run by every other person coming from mountain top villages. So be prepared for being stared at and rude comments (on rare occasions). Also inevitably you'll be asked by strangers to pose for pictures with family or friends for what ever reason. Expect to hear "Hallo!" shouted from across the street, in your face or from a 2nd or 3rd storey window. It's part of life here. It's strange (if anyone knows this area) when I lived in Buji Zai I never was stared at or harrassed for photos and this part of Buji is the complete opposite of what modern SZ is today... so go figure???

Kris

Missing B

K...

What a long story you have wrote!

B:D

All I know about Shenzhen is Grandpa Deng drawed a circle there in 1979.And that was a magical circle.:rolleyes:

Berry

berrylew wrote:

All I know about Shenzhen is Grandpa Deng drawed a circle there in 1979.And that was a magical circle.:rolleyes:

Berry

Grandpa Deng and His Magic Circle? :D Sounds like a children's bedtime story lol! That's what I love about you Berry !

Grandpa Kris

Kris N wrote:
berrylew wrote:

Berry

Grandpa Deng and His Magic Circle? :D Sounds like a children's bedtime story lol! That's what I love about you Berry !

Grandpa Kris

Grandpa K...

This is not a children's bedtime story.You have to learn more about Grandpa Deng and his magic circle in Shenzhen.:D

And Good morning,Grandpa K...

B...

Thanks Kris, love the insight to Shenzhen. Electronics! Language too? that's me! I`ve been sold!

I would like to add that Shenzhen also has a huge finance sector. Every major and actually even minor banking institution has an office tower (no less) in this city. In fact there is an entire sector that is dedicated to solely banking and finance. So if managing money is your thing? Shenzhen has the jobs available for that as well. Citibank of the US has an office here, as well several HK banks and of course China's banks all maintain offices in a grand scale.

Kris