Top hiring sectors in French Polynesia

Hi,

let's talk about job opportunities in French Polynesia.

What are the top hiring sectors?

And according to you, what are the most promising job sectors, which will keep creating jobs in French Polynesia?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Julien

This is a tough one! Some of the largest employers include: government, health care, teachers, aquaculture, pearl farmers, auto industry, small shops, manufacturing, tourism. For the "keep creating jobs", I don't think most will grow, except for tourism. If tourism grows in the next 5-10 years, there will be employment there, but probably not high paying positions unless you own the company! Any other ideas from anybody?
Manarii Tane (Steve, retired American in Papeari, Tahiti)

If you don't work for the government or if you don't have a good experience in tourism then there's nothing to do! Local people need to work first.
It would be great to create more companies,more services and more jobs.

Ahead, thanks to manarii for your reply to the PM. 

I feel a little sorry for Tahiti, because the high times of tourism may not return again. The problem with tourism is that there is strong competition of many countries with much cheaper currency. The XPF is locked to the Euro and as long the Euro stays high traveling to Tahiti will be costly for all  (particular US and  AU). Only the ones which are “infected” will come again – but they will be looking for a more economical way to stay. 

Actually, my socio-political researches do not look favorably worldwide in general and particular also for Tahiti jobs (but maybe for Tahiti's nature). Tahiti imports more then it earns. And a relative high share of what it imports is for the tourists, so this reduces the economic gain from the tourism. The “wild card” are the Chinese. But they do not share with the westerners the mystic around Tahiti – or do they?

And…don't forget Tahiti is at the end of the world. I am emphasizing is because I have been already at the “End of the World” (right, it's the name of a small village 14km after Vasdö, one of the most northern parts of Norway).
Tahiti is 16000km from Europe (shortest route direct route over the North Pole), between 7000 and 10000km from US and still 6500km from Australia. The tickets will never be cheap. And air traveling will become more expensive in future. Currently the airlines battling with each other by using any kind of tricks to make it appear that they do not charge more. The 16.8” aircraft seating is in the coming. Well, the best thing for a comfortable 8/10h flight. Right?

Fuel prices will go up in (medium term) future, forget what the media is saying about fracking. I have had some analysis projects in some of the major Middle East oil fields. Real “field” data and research insider talk a different language (hint – much gloomier).
So, there is little chance for a tourist boom. Tahiti has to develop it's own medium size businesses in order to maintain the relative high level (compared with other far east countries) infrastructure.
Sorry for bothering you with economics in a travel forum.

In this way I have to agree, daphne5 is right; we have to accept that local people need the work first. It would be pity if FP slips in to socio-political instability with all the negative aspects (there are many Asian countries which give examples).     

I know, Tahiti has its own problem with business tax and the high minimum salary, but how is the small business environment there? Is the local government positive minded to foreign small business investors? 

However, maybe I should post this as a separate topic.

Ia Orana,
The small business environment here is not too bad. The government encourages outside investors or businesses. However, if you plan on starting a business here, you must know your market and your customers. There are a lot of businesses here that supply all the current needs, so unless you come up with something quite unique, you will not have many local customers (Customers = Tahitians, French, Chinese, tourists). There are several businesses here that manufacture goods for export. That is probably the best scenario, but you must take the shipping/freight costs into consideration.
Steve (Manarii Tane)

Thank you all for your contribution :)

Hi, i am french and i am looking for a welder or charpenter job in french polynesia i know very well the naval construction sector. I would want to know if there id possibiligy in this sector thank you and soory for my english. Bye in polynesia

Well, your English is quite good (I wish my French would be that  :(  ).

As for your enquiry, standard welders should be quite common, but if you can manage to get experience on welding of exotic materials (such as Titanium, Alloys, austenitic SS, Inconel or other) then you may have some good chances.
And actually pacific sailors do not have a lot of options of repairing their boat in this region once they have some more serious defect.   

And your engish is a important card in dealing with potential international clients.

Thank you very much for your post im not actually to papeete i dont understand very weele the end of your post about repairing boat and international client i know very well the construction and repairation ty for your reponse

[Moderated: Post your advert in the Doctor job offers in French Polynesia section.]

Island life is totally different than mainland life.
If you move from the north of the island to the south, it's the same 3rd world place.
If you move from a poor region in a country to a more developed region, then you will find more chances.

Not to say the Pacific Ocean island nations do not have the big drug trafficking problems other islands (such as in the Caribbean) have ...
It's sad ....  :(

Keep in mind that you, as an expat, do not go to an island to get rich.
Very, very few people know where the island "treasures" are and they do indeed get wealthy and financially independent ...  :)