Buying car options

Hi all,
I'm considering my options of getting a car in Malta. My initial idea was to import a car myself but the staggering import charges and complicated registration process somehow put me off.
My other option would be to buy a car whilst in Malta (after arrival). Initially we would just hire a car for the first couple of weeks and we would use that time to get our own car.

So the question(s) is:

1) is this feasible? Can we sort out all things associated with buying a car in say 2 weeks (registration, insurance...)
2) are there any other options? for example we're used to contract hires/long term hires - but I could not find any CH/long term hire providers in Malta.

Many thanks for any info on this subject!

Ondrej

The registration process is not complicated but it can be expensive.
The change of owner can be done in less than 30 min at transport Malta.

Friends of ours have just rented a car long term for 10€ per day.

There are many companies that offer lease deals, usually min 6 month for about €300 per month for a small vehicle.
You can always spot them the registration letters end with a 'Z'.

Thanks for this!
I was hoping this could be a straight forward process but in some countries registering a car is quite convoluted  :-)
€10 a month is not bad, our only problem is that my wife can only drive automatics and they usually come at higher prices.

defectus wrote:

Thanks for this!
I was hoping this could be a straight forward process but in some countries registering a car is quite convoluted  :-)
€10 a month is not bad, our only problem is that my wife can only drive automatics and they usually come at higher prices.

10€ a DAY!!

Sorry, didn't mean to cause panic and make everybody to ditch their arriva unsubsidised monthly tickets in favour of cheap car rentals :-)

defectus wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to cause panic and make everybody to ditch their arriva unsubsidised monthly tickets in favour of cheap car rentals :-)

:) At €2.30 for 7 day ticket for me, you won't :D

Hello. I think my husband and I are in the same boat as you, but we are leaning towards shipping a car over to Malta. I am told diesel cars have lower registration costs. I was going to bring my own car but I am not so sure it is suitable for Malta with the lack of parking spaces.
I am interested to know who else has imported a car vs buying one in Malta?

This link will tell you how much you need to pay on the car you intend to import.

http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … hicle.aspx

Then check the dealer price for the same car already in Malta.
Deduct what you would get for your car if you sold it before arriving in Malta and bingo you have a comparison.

Buy the right car, try and live in place which isnt over developed (hard one that one) and parking isnt a problem most of the time.

Been here 5yrs - had cars for a little over 4yrs of it and other than specific times and areas not had a problem with parking

Thank you for the link and information. I see we have some work to do.

Silly question perhaps, but does this import registration fee only apply to foreigners, or also to Maltese?

It applies to all cars imported to Malta, there are some exemptions ie short term works contracts, owned for more than 2 years before importing. However even on the owned for more than 2 years exemption you have to pay the import duty if you sell it in Malta.

See this link for more information..
http://www.transport.gov.mt/admin/uploa … 090659.pdf

chinooks wrote:

I am told diesel cars have lower registration costs.

You'll spend the small savings on the higher repair costs of a diesel engine ... especially due to the short distances here :/

imho an import only pays back if it's a newer car and you keep it for a few years only, because the road tax can go up very much after some time :rolleyes:

I made several calculations for friends/acquaintances and ... depending on requirements (usage in Malta is different ;)) and budget ... an import was the better option in only 1 case !
There are already soooooo much old and new and local and recently imported cars in Malta, you only have to find a favourable occasion :D

... and there are also some other options (call them loopholes ;) ) which are not illegal, but also not recommended from the authorities :lol:

tearnet wrote:

owned for more than 2 years before importing.

... and not selling it for another 3 years !

matm911 wrote:
tearnet wrote:

owned for more than 2 years before importing.

... and not selling it for another 3 years !

It does not matter how long you keep it for, you still have to pay it back based on the value at the time (decided by TM not you).