How to intergrate South African child into Swiss Basel way of life??

Hi,
We are a family of 3(with one on the way) we have lived in Zurich for 6 years about 4 years ago, now we have decided to return to Switzerland, but to Basel. Our 5 year old should be attending Swiss school when we feel she will be "ready". How are the locals with expats in the local schools? How do we ,as parents, make the intergration easier for her-culture and language wise? Any help/tips are welcome, we are a bit worried as she is very sensitive and doesnt like change too much.
Thanks!

Hi NadiaD01
We are a family of 4 (2 boys aged 9 and 10). We also live in Jhb now, and are thinking bout moving to Switzerland (my husband was born there). We haven't decided where in Switerand to live.
As far as integrating kids, I would imagine the first step would be to try and teach her as much German as possible, before you go. You're lucky, she's still young and will learn the language and settle in quicker, and by the time she's in school, she'll be fine. My kids are already in gr 3 and 4 in school, and my main concern is that they may have to repeat a year in Switzerland as they will probably take a while to learn to speak, and study, in German.

Hi, I too am in the same situation but currently live Portugal and looking to move to the Aarau area in April, I have a 5 year old son and I am very worried about the schooling side and how he will settle in, from what I have read the education is quite strict, and foreign children are not by any means an exception to the rule, (to a point I agree) after all we are in their country, but I would like to know how they are with children that do not speak their language.

Hi, I have 3 kids, my oldest couldnt speak a word of german when he started Kindergarten. He was basically fluent in 2 months flat, kids learn so fast. And kindergarten is great, they are not at all strict an offer german lessons for the kids during school hours.
As for later in the school system, well, it takes a lot of nerves, you can not compare it to the english system at all! And if you are living in a small town you could experience some problems...as they dont like any one being different.
I now have an 11 year old in grade 6 and a 5 year old in his 2nd year of kindergarten. They still very much have their south african mentalities thank heavens for that.
Feel free to chat if you have any exact questions
Joburgmom

Hi,
I see you posted this a while ago but your post appeals to me.
My husband and I are thinking. Of moving from Cape Town with a 3 yr old and a 5yr old.
We are concerned about the transition as neither of us speak the language and would like to know if you have any tips,advice / stories to share, to make our decisions easier.

Hi Tayah,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

As you noticed, this topic is from 2010 and the initiator of this discussion never post back again,  so i think that it will be better for you to create a new topic on Basel forum and ask all your questions. It will also help you to receive more up to date answers from the members.

Wish you all the best,

Priscilla
Expat.com team