Roti, Dholl Puri, or Farata?!

Okay, we've been here an entire year now and I'm a bit ashamed to admit I continue to be 100% confused by the difference between these three!  I LOVE to eat them, but never sure which one I am ordering.  I think one might have a more "floury" kind of bread while the other bread is thinner and without the crumbly kind of flour thing going on??  And what about the ingredients for the inside?  Do they differ with each?  I know dhal is usually a main ingredient, but what are all those other yummy things inside (besides the flaming hot chili!)  ha! I try to ask at the little stands, but often the language barrier gets in the way of me really understanding.  Anyway, will someone who really knows, please clarify for me?  I would be eternally grateful.  ;)  Have a great weekend!

Court  :)

Hi Court! :) From what I know Roti and Farata (it's also known as chappati in india) is the same thing and that's the one which is a ''floury kind of bread'' as you put it. Whilst dholl puri is the yellow wrap usually made with dholl (yellow split peas).

As for the filling, it's the same for both! I am usually torn between a roti and a dholl puri so end up getting one of each! A cheap and filling lunch!

Hope that helped :)

:lol:

Roti and Farata are almost the same, the main ingredient being flour. They are the two with a 'floury kind of bread'. Farata usually remains 'thicker' than roti and is mostly a homely stuff.

Dholl Puri is the yellow wrap and the main ingredient being 'dholl' or 'dhal' as you like it.
It is usually eaten with ground chilli, vegetable pickles and lima beans curry (cari gros pois). Same for roti.

Roti and dholl puri are usually sold next to each other.

:)

Now I want a dholl puri again :(

Had already 3 dholl puri this morning and they were awesome :D
Check on the net, you will find recipes for this.

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies and PM's!!  What fun to read them all!  :)  And to add to my list, I was in PL today and tried a TI PURI!!  (Spelling?!)  It was amazing as well!  Yummmmmy!  ;)