Moving to Budapest - Where to live?!

Hello all,

I posted a while back looking for some advice regarding moving to Budapest.

I'm 24 years old and me and my buddy will be moving in January to live, hopefully for at least half a year. On that note, can anyone tell me what the deal is with renting an apartment, i.e. are you limited to a 6 month contract, or can you rent monthly and cancel the contract as you wish?

Anyway, main reason for posting was I was after some advice on what areas in Budapest would be best to live in. Ideally, I'd be looking to live somewhere fairly central i.e. near bars/restaurants/nightlife but perhaps not on a really busy street that's loud at night.

Having spoken to someone online who lives there, they recommended "Ráday utca" or "Kazinczy", whilst someone else mentioned "anything by Oktogon is gonna be sweet". Can anyone vouch for any of these places, or point out any particular reason or benefit why living there might be good?

I've never been to Budapest in my life before so don't have the slightest clue about it, but still doing my research, and trying to find out what area might be best to rent.

Thanks guys,

Mikey

Area around Francs Liszt Square is best

Hi and welcome, I do did the move from Australia. I found it also depends on what your budget is? That is a key factor too and what are you after fully furnished or hostel type housing? I did all the research so glad to help.

Oktogon is dearly sweet, right in the centre of Pest..
night life is mainly around there

Thanks for the responses so far!

Maddoc: any particular reason?

Aries25au: well I'm looking for a modern, spacious 2 bedroom apartment, was hoping to get something for around 800 euros a month, 1k euros would probably be absolute limit

Nico_Buda: thanks! Can I expect renting to be more expensive here if it's considered "prime" location?

not really so big difference in prices as there are loads of flat around, renovated or high standards for 800 eu a month all included i think  will find easily.

Some great sites if you do a google search for rentals in budapest. I found and are now in a a great place just opposite the Chain Bridge. Great view of Danube and castle. Got that thru a rental property. Not sure if i can post any referals here but if I can I will post up some I used. Was here in December 2012 and used them and found great places that I rented fully furnished and in the centre of city

Hi MikeyMcD,

As far as type of rental contracts. Everything is possible. Yet, if you want to get a fair price (i.e. save some of the allowance or self-set budget), I'd opt for the 6 months contract. January is fine with making deals - as there are less expats relocating to Budapest then. Yet you have possibly less available apartment then in a busier season.
You can either go with an all inclusive deal (i.e. EUR 1000 including utilities average and condo fees) or a rent + utilities contract.
Start soon and try to pre-arrange. Beware some property management companies act a bit like a predator.
Let me know if you still need help.
Cheers,

Dez