I want to hear your experiences of Americanization of China for a film

Hi.

I have recently moved to Beijing from the UK & have been suprised to see how much of an influence America has had on the Chinese culture.

I am studying Directing Film here & am about to make a fictional film about an American girl moving to Beijing & meeting her Chinese roommate.

I would love to here anyones experiences of Americas impact on China.

A lot of my Chinese friends are in love with America, do other Chinese feel the same & can you explain why?

Also what do people from the States feel about America being so popular in Beijing?
- style, look, food, marketing etc?

Is this a good thing  or a bad thing?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing your experiences.

All the best,

Britt

I find Chinese people far more interested in Korean pop culture.

All of the following comments are of my own opinion and don't reflect the American people as a whole. I really love movie by the way and I think this movie could be something I watch. The love for Americans by the Chinese is somewhat baffling to me I would guess it would have to do with our economic success in recent history. Maybe the the fact that one of our presidents help to open China up to the rest of the world. Many American things have been integrated into the culture such as McDonald's, KFC, Pizzahut, Sports athletics like Nike, Adidas, and American movies like the transformers, and American tv shows like Prison break they really love that show. Things that I may not look as our best qualities the Chinese may see differently they may see them as power such as our obesity numbers or wars with other countries. Maybe they think this shows strength.
Maybe it is our confidence that they admire our "freedom of speech" and independence. They feel the pride that we have as Americans. They think we are funny they like how respectful we can be. Some of these ideas come from my Chinese Girlfriend.
If this helps maybe I could help more like be an actor in your movie or a producer or anything would be fine.
Just don't forget about the small people who tried to help you when you get to the top :)
Thomas

Thomashawk87 wrote:

All of the following comments are of my own opinion and don't reflect the American people as a whole. I really love movie by the way and I think this movie could be something I watch. The love for Americans by the Chinese is somewhat baffling to me I would guess it would have to do with our economic success in recent history. Maybe the the fact that one of our presidents help to open China up to the rest of the world. Many American things have been integrated into the culture such as McDonald's, KFC, Pizzahut, Sports athletics like Nike, Adidas, and American movies like the transformers, and American tv shows like Prison break they really love that show. Things that I may not look as our best qualities the Chinese may see differently they may see them as power such as our obesity numbers or wars with other countries. Maybe they think this shows strength.
Maybe it is our confidence that they admire our "freedom of speech" and independence. They feel the pride that we have as Americans. They think we are funny they like how respectful we can be. Some of these ideas come from my Chinese Girlfriend.
If this helps maybe I could help more like be an actor in your movie or a producer or anything would be fine.
Just don't forget about the small people who tried to help you when you get to the top :)
Thomas

Hey Thomas,

Thanks so much for your reply. It is really interesting to hear what you have experienced from an American perspective. How long have you been in Beijing for?

I have been asking my Chinese friends why they idolise Westerners but none seem to know why either.

I would be interested to hear your opinions of the impact it is having on Beijing?

What do you think the American stores / branding / models etc are doing to the Chinese culture and is Beijing what you expected it to be (culturally)?

At the moment my storyline is evolving around just girls (meaning no male acting roles) but I am not happy with my script and am trying to develop it to be from a more Western perspective (mostly because my point of view is not very Chinese and I don't want to pretend to understand their way of thinking). But I would be happy if you wanted to help produce / any other parts of the production process, or maybe if I do change the script we could create a role for you to act!?

Where about in Beijing are you based?

Thanks for getting in touch, really looking forward to your reply.

This sounds like a very interesting story. For me, it has always seemed that no matter what you will always be a foreigner. Almost every Chinese person I have met has been the most gracious of hosts, someday I hope that I can return the favor.

What I find most peculiar is how many foreigners say that they are American, even if they are not actually from America. I feel that this sometimes skews the view of Americans.

I will think on this some more. I find this an interesting idea and send you a message later.

Good luck,
Amanda

First off I haven't lived in Beijing very long. I have lived in China for three years though. The impact is bigger then others that I have seen, and there are other cultures but none as influential as the American culture.
The culture here is leaps and bounds better then I ever expected. Everything that I have wanted and not been able to have over the past three years I have found here in Beijing. I found good beer, I found an improv. group, and although I haven't found it yet I'm sure that if given enough time I will find a wrestling enthusiast such as my self.
I live at the end of line 6 Caofang.
The thing I like most about Beijing is that it is melting pot, you can find anything and everything here. There are so many people here that there has to be someone who shares the same interests. The Beijing people are so nice and friendly a lot more friendly then where I have lived. Their English is a lot better as well, on top of that their accents are pretty authentic.
I would like to read your script if you wouldn't mind me taking a gander.

Thomas

I've been in Shenzhen for the past 3 years... though its not Beijing it is very developed. Shenzhen has been heavily influenced as yet by the US however it's original foreign influences are directly from HK vis a vis  the UK.
Curiously as a Brit.. how do you expect to write about the US influence on China? I mean you're neither Chinese nor American. And you've already stated you won't write from a Chinese perspective... shall I go on?
How about the British influence on China... okay not quite so prevailant today but still there was that initial presence for 100 years.
Perhaps that's why you can't wrap your head around your script and get it right? You're writing from a stand point that you yourself only know through the bloody tele!
Perhaps engaging Thomas the wrestler would be a good plan... how about this. You write a story based on Thomas' experience from 1st landing from US soil to meeting his gf. Now there's your american connection... then using his gf's thoughts from a Chinese perspective of the American influence on her culture and so on... blah, blah, blah.
Now You could ask other expats their take on their xperiences through out China... because what you are experiencing in Beijing is being experienced throughout China in various degrees. And how about this for an idea? Ask those expats willing to share their stories to interview their Chinese friends, colleagues, etc about what is it about western culture that has the Chinese people so captivated.
If you ask me from my experiences "it's our god given right to bear weapons!" lol Joking of course. But I think it's simply our nonchalant behavior. We're a very cavalier people at the risk of being pompus about who we are and our country. We are not a nation of Italians, Irish, Africans, Chinese, etc... we are Americans and f-ing proud of it. That aside... I think the US has the best marketing plan and budget for self promoting itself. Who will ever forget the Energizer Bunny, Wendy's "Where's the Beef?", the Bush Administration, Marilyn Monroe singing "Happy Birthday" to JFK? You think CNN is news? No its advertising!
So why are the Chinese and most of the world enamoured by the good ole US of A? ADVERTISING!

Kris

This rant does not reflect the thoughts nor ideas of this blog, its contents, members, staff or volunteers. The writer is solely responsible for the BS contained within this post. And does apologize to anyone offended.
No animals were harmed during the typing of this rant as monitored by the ASPCA, PETA, WWF, WWE, KFC, ABC, CBC, PBS, BBC, CTV, CCTV, QQ, SIS, MI5, FBI, RCMP, CSIS, FSB, UNICEF, MSS, CIB, CSINY,NYFD/NYPD, KKK, NRA, SASS, HKSAR, PRC, G'N'R and AC/DC.

I really enjoyed that last post I really laughed out loud two times. I agree that my story would be good. Also just because you aren't Chinese or American doesn't mean you cant write from that prospective. You might need some help and I am always will to help with that.
THanks

Hey Britt,
I think part of the reason why so many Chinese idolize westerners is the-grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side thing. People in China are disappointed or even frustrated by the perennial issues facing the society, and they assume that Western societies are much better on dealing with these issues. Sometimes they are right, sometimes it's just imagination. And American movies feed this imagination.
Another reason is that most Chinese people are looking at a filtered image of Western world. The later is represented by Western firms operate in China. Normally only the most successful western firms can expand into Chinese market and build a widely recognise brand. Those firms and their products superior to their local counterparts in many way, thus convince Chinese people that West is best. Just think about China's hunger on imported milk powder.

linwen wrote:

Just think about China's hunger on imported milk powder.

Can I ask you a question linwen?

Why "milk powder" and not "fresh milk"? In most western countries it's fresh milk we drink as babes...

Thx

Kris

Most of the Chinese parents think their kids are too vulnerable to drink fresh milk, due to lactose intolerance maybe, or believe that milk powder is easier to digest, so they feed their kids infant formula, in some case,even the kids are 5 years old.

Kris

Haha. What a great post. Thank you so much for your help and opinion it has been very useful!

I really like the idea of asking Westerners from all over China to video their own views and those of their Chinese friends. I think it could amount to some very interesting material and I will write another post encouraging participants.

Thanks for the feedback.

Britt :-D

Thomashawk87 wrote:

I really enjoyed that last post I really laughed out loud two times. I agree that my story would be good. Also just because you aren't Chinese or American doesn't mean you cant write from that prospective. You might need some help and I am always will to help with that.
THanks

Thanks very much!

I am thinking of maybe turning the story into more of a documentary that a fictional film. That way it would be interesting to have some interviews with a couple of Expats and their opinions.

Let me know if you would be interested in this?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the late reply, as I'm sure is the same with you I am very busy!

All the best
Brittany

Kalanna wrote:

This sounds like a very interesting story. For me, it has always seemed that no matter what you will always be a foreigner. Almost every Chinese person I have met has been the most gracious of hosts, someday I hope that I can return the favor.

What I find most peculiar is how many foreigners say that they are American, even if they are not actually from America. I feel that this sometimes skews the view of Americans.

I will think on this some more. I find this an interesting idea and send you a message later.

Good luck,
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Sorry I have taken so long to reply.

I have also experienced a lot of people from other countries claim to be from the States, through my experience it is to get teaching jobs as a "native" speaker, but also because of the prejudice they have received about being from their actual country.

I am planning to make a film asking several Expats from all over China to video themselves talking about Westernisation of China, individual opinions and experiences. And also some input from their Chinese friends of how they perceive America / The West. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in?

Thanks very much,

All the best.

Brittany.

britt_pearce wrote:

I really like the idea of asking Westerners from all over China to video their own views and those of their Chinese friends. I think it could amount to some very interesting material and I will write another post encouraging participants.

Do they have to agree with your opinions?

it seems she have replied everyone but me....  just keep getting notification on this

linwen wrote:

Most of the Chinese parents think their kids are too vulnerable to drink fresh milk, due to lactose intolerance maybe, or believe that milk powder is easier to digest, so they feed their kids infant formula, in some case,even the kids are 5 years old.

Thanks for the feed back… however I'm still trying to wrap my head around the methodology… Anyways short of human breast milk… I think any mammal's milk has got to be better than manufactured milk. I've seen 5 year olds and even older breast feeding in Asia. So I'm not surprised by that final statement.

Kris…

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
britt_pearce wrote:

Wouldn't be much of a documentary if we had to agree with anything anyone says.

I'll agree though with the statement of many non-Americans saying they're from the States in order to get work and stem off prejudices. I've seen it over and over again.

Kris…

britt_pearce wrote:

Kris

Haha. What a great post. Thank you so much for your help and opinion it has been very useful!

Thanks for the feedback.

Britt :-D

Britt, I'm pleased you read my rant in the light it was meant. Anytime you need to be honestly critiqued just ask me. lol

Cheers!

Kris…

linwen wrote:

Hey Britt,
I think part of the reason why so many Chinese idolize westerners is the-grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side thing. People in China are disappointed or even frustrated by the perennial issues facing the society, and they assume that Western societies are much better on dealing with these issues. Sometimes they are right, sometimes it's just imagination. And American movies feed this imagination.
Another reason is that most Chinese people are looking at a filtered image of Western world. The later is represented by Western firms operate in China. Normally only the most successful western firms can expand into Chinese market and build a widely recognise brand. Those firms and their products superior to their local counterparts in many way, thus convince Chinese people that West is best. Just think about China's hunger on imported milk powder.

Hi Linwen.

I am so sorry I have not replied sooner. I am new to using Forums and genuinely thought I had! I know I have definitely though a lot about what you have said and in-fact even quoted you in conversation! So please accept my apologies for not replying.

I was having a conversation with a young Chinese girl and she had the mind set that you are talking about. It does seem that, especially the young, think the grass is always greener, that we have freedom and a government that allows us a different way of living. She was mesmerised by her dream of moving to America for a more prosperous life but when I asked her what her opinion was on the Gun crime out there or obesity she didn't seem to know much about it. Which made me think of Kris's point that America is a marketing campaign!

Thanks for your opinions.

Hi Guys.

I have drafted a post that I would like to put out to the masses I am running with Kris's suggestion about making a documentary on peoples opinions of Westernisation, I really value your opinions and would like to hear any feedback before I post it as a new topic. So please let me know any changes I should make?

Since being in Beijing I have been overwhelmed by the Culture and mind-set of many of the places and people I have met. I had come to China expecting to find the rich heritage of culture that is sold to the rest of the world through television programs and holiday brochures.

However now I am here I have personally found the people to be confused about what their culture is and was shocked to see Walmart, Mc Donalds, Shopping Malls and many more Western looking places. I understand Urbanisation and Globalisation is inevitable, but it is something I didn't expect the people to seem so lost and confused, in awe of the Western phenomenon without having a full understanding as to what they are lusting after.

This is a very personal opinion and experience, as I am living in a University and surrounded by mostly young Chinese students and I have not yet travelled outside of Beijing. I am very keen to hear the opinions and experiences of others both Chinese and International from a variety of different provinces, occupations and backgrounds.

What I would like to do is make a sort of documentary with an input from people all over China. I would love if you could be involved in this in the form of video taping certain things.

Below is what I would like you to film:

Film (can be on any camera or even webcam):
•    An interview with yourself – answering the following questions:
1.    What is your name, why are you in China and for how long?
2.    Where are you currently living?
3.    What did you expected to experience culturally before coming to China
4.    Where these expectations met?
5.    Have you experienced any Globalisation / Western influences?
6.    What is your opinion of the Westernisation of China?
•    If possible an interview with any Chinese friends:
- What is their opinion of the West
- What do they think about Westernisation of China?
•    Some general shots of the town / city you are living
•    Some examples of globalisation if there is any
•    A sign or anything that shows the name of your city

Please contact me or reply to this post if this is something you are interested in helping with. I will turn the video clips into a short film hopefully getting a variety of views and experiences from all over China on the topic of Westernisation.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
britt_pearce wrote:

No, it would be much more interesting to have a variety of views on this. As I have not traveled yet I would love to hear and see through film what the rest of China is like! I also think this could be very interesting to people that have not been to China so an honest film would be much more powerful.

Hi Britt
Never mind. So happy to see you saying you've quoted me :)
Actually that phenomenon is not confined to the young people. All too often, when the elders complain about healthcare or health reforms in China, they would proceed to cite the US like a heaven. China is not international enough, especially in its vast heartland. And for the youth, maybe a program resemble European's Erasmus would be enormously helpful.

Best
Linwen

britt_pearce wrote:

Hi Guys.

I have drafted a post that I would like to put out to the masses I am running with Kris's suggestion about making a documentary on peoples opinions of Westernisation, I really value your opinions and would like to hear any feedback before I post it as a new topic. So please let me know any changes I should make?

Since being in Beijing I have been overwhelmed by the Culture and mind-set of many of the places and people I have met. I had come to China expecting to find the rich heritage of culture that is sold to the rest of the world through television programs and holiday brochures.

However now I am here I have personally found the people to be confused about what their culture is and was shocked to see Walmart, Mc Donalds, Shopping Malls and many more Western looking places. I understand Urbanisation and Globalisation is inevitable, but it is something I didn't expect the people to seem so lost and confused, in awe of the Western phenomenon without having a full understanding as to what they are lusting after.

This is a very personal opinion and experience, as I am living in a University and surrounded by mostly young Chinese students and I have not yet travelled outside of Beijing. I am very keen to hear the opinions and experiences of others both Chinese and International from a variety of different provinces, occupations and backgrounds.

What I would like to do is make a sort of documentary with an input from people all over China. I would love if you could be involved in this in the form of video taping certain things.

Below is what I would like you to film:

Film (can be on any camera or even webcam):
•    An interview with yourself – answering the following questions:
1.    What is your name, why are you in China and for how long?
2.    Where are you currently living?
3.    What did you expected to experience culturally before coming to China
4.    Where these expectations met?
5.    Have you experienced any Globalisation / Western influences?
6.    What is your opinion of the Westernisation of China?
•    If possible an interview with any Chinese friends:
- What is their opinion of the West
- What do they think about Westernisation of China?
•    Some general shots of the town / city you are living
•    Some examples of globalisation if there is any
•    A sign or anything that shows the name of your city

Please contact me or reply to this post if this is something you are interested in helping with. I will turn the video clips into a short film hopefully getting a variety of views and experiences from all over China on the topic of Westernisation.

Looks good to me so far... but perhaps you can broaden your questions to maybe include some personal information about the people participating... if they agree off camera prior to the interview.

I think getting to know about what kind of ppl came to China will add further insight to your documentary.

Not everyone is 20 something... and in university... it'll add more cred to ur film

anyways... I'll be back... gotta slip into a meeting undetected coz I'm late lol!

Kris... oh but britt you gotta interview Berrylew from this forum... she's got a take on all this that's interesting

britt_pearce wrote:
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

No, it would be much more interesting to have a variety of views on this. As I have not traveled yet I would love to hear and see through film what the rest of China is like! I also think this could be very interesting to people that have not been to China so an honest film would be much more powerful.

My opinion is that most Chinese people don't idolize American things as much as you might think they do.

Can I suggest that you watch the film “This is Sanlitun”. It might give you some ideas. If interested I can try and put in touch with them.

IMHO, some chinese "might" idolize the westernern culture or america, so to speak... perhaps having interests in the fashion industries, or the salary they get, normally they are referring to New Yorkers salary..haha. and as for being pro-western, i doubt so. There's different people with different financial and culture background in China, and not all chinese in beijing are from beijing. Beijing is a place full of different city's dweller. My company consist of chinese from different part of China, they have their differences too. it's unique learning all this details once you stepped into China.

you have to truely meet the different levels of people... the rich, the common, the poor, the poorest.

Movies moves a culture, but these days, Chinese movies are getting more well recognized in the world too. so is indian movies and English movies.

Let's just live as a Global Village and stop questioning ourselves who is the best, or who idolizes who... we are all so old now for that, aren't we? This topic is probably for the teens. :P

many tv series in America were introduced to China, and many chinese people are proud if they can move to America.