A few Q's about Libya these days

Hi to all.

I spent a good few years working for an oil company in Ras Lanuf, but left back in 2000 due to the contracting company not paying my salary for 5 months. No names mentioned - but they were Austrian!.

I've got an application back in just now for another job with the same company, through MAPEL and am keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

When I was in Libya last, the embargo was still on and I travelled in via Tunisia by taxi (not the best as I recollect - lol), so I was just wondering what travelling into/through Tripoli airport was like now?.

Do the customs still have a problem with laptops, mobile phones, etc?.
Can you get away with brining in some pork products?, and looking for any general advice on the whole experience kind of thing. I would love to have a bacon roll and be able to watch a movie on my laptop, but don't want to start WW3 at customs - lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fifer

You can fly in OK and enjoy the experience of the smiley immigration guys, if they're not taking a smoke break.
Laptops/phones are OK. You can get away with pork products. Not worth taking the risk of bringing in alcohol, a topic discussed in many threads here...

lol i brang 5 or 6 Canadian Maple syrups here. they were in glass bottles and look alot like alcohol but I remember on a post a while back Sandman had said put your sneaky bag first and let the others follow through because the last thing thats scanned is what stays up on the screen i had thought they would give me trouble for them because they look like bottles of Rum.

but I didnt have any issues.

SO if your going to bring some Bacon make sure bring enough! maybe we can gather and have a big breakfast! I make a mean pancake! Just put it on the scanner first! followed by any other bags! electronics are no prob as Mudman says.

Safe travels!

The Red Herring bag trick works every time.

Friday is also a good day to arrive in Libya, the earlier the better. A couple of weeks ago I arrived on the Lagos flight at 6:30am. Took me less than 20 mins from disembarking to walking out the door, baggage ans all. No one at the scanner so straight through, no wahala despite having a bag well stocked with frozen pork.

Then I had to wait 45 mins for the feckin driver to show.....

zumzaradine wrote:

Just make sure you don't label any bags "Sneaky Bag"...

Im sure you could get away with it!

Anyway toodle-pip for a few days boys & girls, off to the yUK to kill some more brain cells. ;)

Fifer wrote:

Hi to all.

I spent a good few years working for an oil company in Ras Lanuf, but left back in 2000 due to the contracting company not paying my salary for 5 months. No names mentioned - but they were Austrian!.

I've got an application back in just now for another job with the same company, through MAPEL and am keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

When I was in Libya last, the embargo was still on and I travelled in via Tunisia by taxi (not the best as I recollect - lol), so I was just wondering what travelling into/through Tripoli airport was like now?.

Do the customs still have a problem with laptops, mobile phones, etc?.
Can you get away with brining in some pork products?, and looking for any general advice on the whole experience kind of thing. I would love to have a bacon roll and be able to watch a movie on my laptop, but don't want to start WW3 at customs - lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fifer

You will notice a load of changes ma Fife mate (see avatar for my origin). You will be fine (Aberdeen for the last 26 years, hence expression) with the pork, just nae booze mate. Bit of an experience 1st time around, but nae worries, anything you had in the past will stand you in good stead for what it is like here. PM me if you wan't to hook up if you are in the Tripoli area, can't get too many Scots here for my liking (Sandman may disagree !!!!)

like yer countryman said...

don't bother trying with any booze - but beer kits are fine, just remove the label. It's one of those energy drink kits eh?

no probs with bangers n bacon either, just be a bit discrete with it

Sandman6 wrote:

no probs with bangers n bacon either, just be a bit discrete with it

I won't ask how discreet you are with your sausages
:D

Hi guys

Please be sensitive to the host country, Libya is a Muslim country that forbids the import of pork and alcohol.
Please respect the culture and rules of the country.

People who intentionally bring in products that are against their host country should be ashamed and only have themselves to blame for the consequences that will arise and please do not complain about the your experience with the authorities when dealt with accordingly.

Regards

Hi Mohammed,

Salam Alecom

Maybe it's because of the language difference, but I have to say that your input for a 1st time poster comes across as a wee bit threatening.

I'm sure that everyone living or working in Libya is sensitive to the culture of the country and it's people, and in the main do all that they can to live a quiet life without upsetting anyone.

On a personal level I must admit to not being aware that pork products were 'illegal' in Libya. I know that the consumption of pork is against Muslim beliefs, but was not aware that the importation (for personal consumption) was illegal.

However, having said that, this was one of the questions that I asked in my original post, and you have in your own way answered this perfectly.

Best wishes

Fifer wrote:

Hi Mohammed,

Salam Alecom

Maybe it's because of the language difference, but I have to say that your input for a 1st time poster comes across as a wee bit threatening.

I'm sure that everyone living or working in Libya is sensitive to the culture of the country and it's people, and in the main do all that they can to live a quiet life without upsetting anyone.

On a personal level I must admit to not being aware that pork products were 'illegal' in Libya. I know that the consumption of pork is against Muslim beliefs, but was not aware that the importation (for personal consumption) was illegal.

However, having said that, this was one of the questions that I asked in my original post, and you have in your own way answered this perfectly.

Best wishes

I know of a couple of people that have had their bags checked and they contained 'pork products' when they pointed this out to security they had no problem whatsoever with the pork products. It is a matter of respect though, and I wouldn't go flaunting it.

Aye don't go flaunting your sausage. ;)

A big thanks for all the info guys. All I have to do now is actually get the job! - lol.

Will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that everything works out.

All the best gents

Fifer :)

Mudman wrote:

Aye don't go flaunting your sausage. ;)

:lol: Trust you to come out with that one right enough, but when thinking about it, if you were to 'flaunt your sausage' at security, would you be able to get the 6 bottles of whisky through without them noticing :rolleyes: