Where to find cheap local produce?

Howdy, anyone know where i can find local produce markets in the st. Jullians area? Ive seen the trucks parked here and there with veg but i was wondering if there is a market where i can find loads of stands with local grown veg and fresh fish and meat all in one place like ive been to in spain and portugal? Even if it is not in this area i am willing to take a bus but id like to use fresh ingredients and buy directly from the farmers, fish mongers and butchers and not to the supermarkets or small stores that cater to tourists.

I think there is a big farmers market at Ta Qali. Not sure what day it is though

This covers all sorts of markets

Let us start with the most popular one, where you will find the best Malta bargains! The Valletta market, held from Monday to Friday in Merchant Street (the street parallel to Republic Street) starting early in the morning and lasting till early afternoon. Needless to say the earlier you go the more items you will find. The main items sold at the Valletta market are; Costume jewelery, clothes, CD's and DVS's, fabrics, souvenirs, household goods and religious icons. On Sundays Valletta has a flea market, held in the square near the bus terminus. The same types of items can be found along with an interesting collection of bric-a-brac. This market gets very busy so go early!

Marsaxlokk, the small fishing market in the South of Malta also has a daily open-air market. Among the usual bargains one can find in markets, here you can also find a vast array of fresh fish and seafood on sale every day. An early visit is surely recommended to get the freshest catch and a good parking spot. At the Marsaxlokk market you will also be able to find many of the typical Maltese delicacies such as different types of honey and bread among other things.

The open air Market in Mosta is held every Monday morning. Here you can find several Malta bargains too, including many clothes stalls, shoe stalls, jewellery stalls and plenty of household goods. Some Maltese delicacies and fresh vegetables are also available at very low prices.

Other open-air markets include:

Birkirkara – Wednesday and Friday
Luqa – Monday
Naxxar – Thursday
Paola – Thursday, Friday & Saturday
Qormi – Saturday
Rabat – Sunday
Ta' Qali – Sunday
Victoria Gozo – daily
Vittoriosa/Birgu – Tuesday
Also there is a car boot sale at Inspire, Marsaskala every Sunday from 7am till noon - next to the new family park,. Alongside the charity shop and the usual car booters you can find a great stall selling new clothes of well known brands , A stall selling childrens clothes and toys, several excellent book stalls and a handmade jewellery stall. If it is hot, sellers tend to pack up a bit earlier.

And finally - don't forget the Birgu Flea Market on Sunday mornings (and public holidays if am not mistaken) A great place to find bric a brac. Again, go really early if you want to grab a bargain...

toonarmy9752 wrote:

I think there is a big farmers market at Ta Qali. Not sure what day it is though

Tuesday and Saturday mornings from 6.30 till about 12.00. Go at about 9.30 otherwise you will be caught up in a stampede of locals :) A great selection of fruit & vegs at excellent prices, much of the produce lifted from the farmers' fields the previous evening. Also honey, wine, flowers & bottled pickles etc. Take large carrier bags with for easy transport as all fruit and veg sold is placed in smallish thin plastic bags for you by the stall owner.

Thanks guys. I also heared about a fish store in Gzira called Rita's.

We are planning to go to the Birgu flea market tomorrow. Is it held at the same place as the Tuesday market, just outside the city gates?

Thank you

There is also a Rita's fish shop in Marsaxlokk - a street away from the waterfront; a fish shop in Zabbar near the parish church and one in St Paul's Bay opp. Frank Salt Estates.

Not sure if anyone can answer this in time but do you know where abouts in Ta'Qali the market is ? :)
Cheers x

Just a few roads away from the American Embassy.

It's indicated on Google Maps: Ta' Qali farmers' market :)
It's on that circular road round the national park/stadium, sort of on the northeast side. Can't miss it once you're there.

Thanks guys had a look at google maps but always nice to get a couple more hints ! Went today and even checked out the park with our son. Fun morning !