Best job recruiting agencies in Geneva?

Hello, I would like to relocate to Geneva from Malta and am wondering if any one of you have suggestions for the best recruiting agencies in Geneva to work with?

I have a BBA in Finance from the University of Houston - Downtown in Houston, TX, USA.

Am dual USA / UK so legal to live and work in Switzerland.

However, because the cost of living in Switzerland is so high, I would like to have a firm offer of employment in hand before relocating.

Is this something that is doable?

English is my first language, but I also speak Spanish fluently.

Cheers,
SiM

Hi there,

I did it the hard way and moved to Switzerland before lining up a job, but was very lucky to find one after just 4 months of searching in the middle of the recession and over the Christmas-New Year period.

I'm based in Lausanne (VD) so not particularly familiar with the agencies in Geneva, but of the ones I contacted in Vaud only Adecco were of any help. I contacted others via email and by telephone, but all I got was a cursory response to say they will keep my details on file - I never heard back from any of them.

Adecco invited me in for a registration meeting and proposed a couple of opportunities (which didn't go anywhere), and I found the person I dealt with at their Lausanne branch very friendly, helpful and supportive. Of course, Adecco branches in Geneva might not be the same but I would advise you to try them.

I would also advise you to use the website, jobup.ch - this is a giant job board that you can search, filter, get reports, etc, on a huge variety of jobs in Switzerland. Through using this I managed to line up a few interviews, including the one that got me my current job! :) it's just a website so no face-to-face contact or guidance, but you can search for the type of job you are looking for from a large selection. You can already look at this before moving, and it will give you an idea of what jobs are available here.

One very important thing is the work permit. I'm a British citizen married to a Swiss lady, so I was entitled to a Permis B (5 year stay) that can be amended to a Permis C (permanent stay). I'm not sure what permit you would be able to get, but the agencies would be able to advise on this.

It takes several weeks to get your permit, and in my experience (and from what I have heard from others) you have to be in Switzerland to start the process. You have to present ID and proof that you have registered with the local commune (e.g. Geneva) that you are in Switzerland for at least a couple of years. My permis B took 8 weeks to come through, and until you have a permit you won't be allowed to work.

Still, the waiting period gives you time to sort out health insurance, find somewhere to live, etc...

Your employer would also help with this, although I don't know if they can speed up the process a bit...

Hope this helps!

Paul

Thanks for the feedback!

I am just curious about this statement: "Until you have a work permit, you won't be allowed to work?" 

Aren't all EU citizens able to work for 90 days without any permit, which means you can start to work the day you arrive without having filed for any permits yet?

That's true, as an EU citizen you might be able to work for up to 3 months in a calendar year. Any longer than that and you would definitely need a work permit, either for short term (L permit) or longer (B, C permits).

You would have to check with the authorities before coming here though to make sure you are allowed to work without a permit for up to 3 months.

If you plan to move to Switzerland you can stay for up to 3 months without a work permit while you look for work. If you haven't found a job after 3 months you would have to apply for a permit.

This website has some useful information:

swissinfo.ch/eng/specials/switzerland_how_to/work_life/Work_permits.html?cid=29191706

Sometimes simplest things are the bests, this website geneve.epliwa.com/ is very simple and efficient. I created a job alert and received positions on a regular basis.

Ced

Thanks Paul for sharing your experience, helpful! I am glad you found the job you nedeed and deserve.

Christiane