Immigration Nightmare!

I can't believed a progressive country like Malaysia has the poorest Immigration service, it seems like the Immigration officer in the booths ( in JB when you exit Singapore) is not knowledgeable  with their own Immigration Law. And not to mention the rudeness is to the highest level. I understand that they need to be strict because that is their job to give security to their country, but being rude and discriminating people is beyond the point. And I just want to point out ..Not all Indians are POOR..not all Indonesians are POOR.. and not all FILIPINOS are POOR. So don't JUDGE cause you never know that the person you might be dealing in the immigration could pay those rude immigration people their YEAR SALARY

Rather than just rant, it would be of use to others if you post exactly what happened, what issues you faced and how it was resolved. Otherwise, your post carries little value.

One immigration officer is not indicative of the general performance and quality of the immigration service.

Perhaps the problem actually lies with YOU.

You may not realize that MONEY does not TALK - only actions and a person's general behaviour, roots and upbringing.

Gravitas!

Yes I get your point!! and also

" ONE Citizen is not indicative of the general country image and what other citizen of that country has done."

I am from Philippines and I have a 90 days social visa visit for Malaysia which I had to apply in Malaysian Embassy in Manila with all the proper documents and fee. My application has been approved!!

When I came to Malaysia with that visa. I was stopped in the immigration booth entering Johor Bahru, because the immigration officer in the booth did not know about my visa so she needs to ask her supervisor about it.

I was brought to the operational office! and my nightmare began. Three Older Woman in Immigration Office started to raise their voice on me and started to tell their own story and accusing me that I came to Malaysia to work and saying over and over again that I am prostitute, It's very HUMILIATING, very DISCRIMINATING, very RUDE.

I understand clearly that the immigration officer is doing their job to give security to their country, but I believed also that they can get their JOB DONE with RESPECT.

And don't tell me that MONEY does not TALK. definitely MONEY isn't everything BUT it does TALK and it TALKS alot :)

To be brutally honest a Fillipino woman staying in jb for 90 days no visible support. They did what any immigration would do. Jb is full of brothels for Singaporean men looking for cheap sex. Indo, thai, Vietnamese and fillipno women provide those services. They did the math and their job to see if you broke down as many do when accused.

UK immigration the same. They would accuse you too. Seen it happens loads of times and to allsorts of women including those with great jobs and clearly able to support themselves so unfair. happened to a friends wife but as she had a senior bank job and a tudung on (a thai Muslim) it was strange as they had return tickets for two weeks to see how parents. That was out of order. 90 days in jb. I can't stand the place fir 90 mins it is a dump so they would be suspicious!!!

Agree with Nemodot.  There are also fake visas circulating from time to time and with the P6 process ongoing, all potentially illegal immigrants who are actually looking for work are being weeded out.

Money and no class = silence. Filipino women are frequently thrown out of bars for bad behaviour.... saw it again last evening. There is definitely a case of stereotyping going on here as mentioned previously.

JB is a seedy dump with not a very nice reputation so if you stand out in a crowd you can potentially be targeted.

I really can understand darkmocho's feelings as she became an innocent victim and suspected like a criminal in the entry process @ JB, unfortunately the immigration officer was failed to understand her legitimately…..

It's quite often many people failed to distinguish the real legitimately vs. fake/forge.. Perhaps this could happen to us anytime depends on the person who deal with (it's not my wish!)…

However, in my personal view, and also due respect to all senior expat members commented here, it doesn't sound really nice if we criticized entire nations in this public forum (especially without having any solid evidence) just because of one or a few people's wrong behaviors –This may happens everywhere regardless of whether any nations, black or white, whatsoever....

I always see this blog as very informative. Importantly majority here is seeking information or help or some people post their frustrations, experiences…

Just to maintain the value and continue to keep the same momentum of this portal, i would suggest PLEASE:

1.    Let's continue to listen to them
2.    Understand their fruitful/painful stories
3.    Help them as much as we can (while sharing more practical  and hands-on experiences rather than using MR. GOOGLE :))
4.    Lets not allow others to go through similar repetitive pains over and over again.

Just a humble request!

actually not only the immigration in johor bahru was rude. also immigration here in the Philippines.Me and my brother experience the same way, as we are boarding to Malaysia. My father give me a plane ticket as a gift for my bday. But since they my parents are very busy,they cant accompany me to tour,Thats why i traveled with my brother. Our nightmare begun at the immigration counter, The question that I will never ever forget is that "why are you travelling only with your brother?It is very indecent to travel with your brother?" I was like what?  They are questioning why I travel with my brother.Yet,we booked two rooms at the hotel. I think they are really unreasonable.After proving that we have the same parents, they suspect us to be immoral.

Rasal THANK YOU!! your point is very clear and you are in neutral ground. I respect you for that.

Just imagine yourself as an immigration officer. You see 1,000s of people a day and rules state that anyone visiting and wanting a tourist visa on arrival must have a return flight ticket with allowable visa rules, visible means of support and must show they are not going to work illegally.

You then get a rude demanding tourist who thinks they don't have to follow the rules. They whine moan and stamps fists*

What a horrible job I pity them.

Just saying all stories have two sides.

*seen it happen a few times. Usually unwashed backpackers looking like they don't have 2 sen left and on a one way ticket.

Nemodot
I could not agree more with you.
And those people which you have aptly described are often well aware of the requirements but try it on.
Those same people would then boast about how they bucked the system and got through alright.

Have come across many like that in my travels.

I kind of agree with Darkmocha but having a white face it is easier for some of us to complain or speak to a supervisor if we feel that an immigration officer is being impolite. However, saying that, I traveled to Indonesia last week and the immigration officer that we had to deal with was really rude and complaining why my mother in law who was in a  wheelchair and my father in law and young kids and my wife could be fast tracked through immigration but he wanted me to queue up with the rest of the arrivals. He was just mumbling away and acting very arrogant and displeased. I didn't show him the scar on my back from my slipped disc operation 12 days earlier. So I mean immigration officers can sometimes be unpleasant at times in any country but we just have to accept it. But I do think that sometimes they need lessons in politeness. I often think it is just a chance for small minded people to try to act powerful.

It's true also than UK Immigration are not always very nice, I remember some years back in the news when they would strip search muslim and indian women for no apparent reason.

:|

:P

Fingerprints and photo have been routinely taken in Malaysia since 2012. How else do you expect the country to protect itself against criminals?

:rolleyes:

Did you notice that?  :unsure

Activ4 - you have perfectly described why it is important for biometric data to be taken - to avoid mistaken identity. There is no question that it is taken because people are considered to be criminals. It's just is an important crime investigation tool if needed. There are rules - Malaysia has decided what they are. If a person wishes to come to Malaysia, he or she is under those regulations. It is commonly known that collective rights supersede individual rights.

:happy:

The Malaysian immigration site makes it quite clear its position on biometric testing. There are copious amounts of newspaper articles on the subject, available from their website. The particular circumstances for some nationals are also mentioned, bearing in mind that immigration in every country in the world has a range of different requirements and rules for different nationals, including some specific border passes which are also itemised.

"Malaysia was the first country in the world to issue biometric passports in March 1998, after a local company, IRIS Corporation, developed the technology" and "In addition to biometric data and the personal information stored on the information page (of Malaysian passports), the chip also records the bearer's travel history of the last ten entry and exits at Malaysia border control points." I therefore see no reason why visitors should be treated differently. 

Activ4 - So what do think about CCTV and speed cameras - do you think they are an invasion of privacy alongside biometric testing? They are hardly hidden cameras either. Its expanding extremely rapidly in Malaysia (probably been in Singapore for several years and in Europe for more than a decade).

:joking:

I think it is normal and good for immigration to take fingerprints or photos of visitors. If you have nothing to hide then why care about that?

:unsure

An individual does not have democracy and liberty when it is considered for the greater good i.e. as mentioned before collective rights always supersede individual rights - that's just how civilisation works. We are members of a large body of people and therefore it can sometimes be necessary to give up personal preferences so the majority can be more easily kept safe. He or she can have an opinion, but it cannot always influence the prevailing situation,

:par:

Activ4 wrote:

But it depends on the individual themselves. That's the idea of democracy and liberty after all right?!?

Not really, if you want to enter a country then you have to follow the rules. If you reject the rules then they will send you back where you come from. It's as simple as that. As I said, if you have nothing to hide then just accept it. Anyway, they only fingerprint you once. If someone steals your passport and tries to enter the country then those fingerprint records may help catch the culprit.

As far as I am aware the Snowden situation is about snooping in a hidden way. He thought it was right for people to know what was going on. That is not the case with collecting biometric data which is an open exercise.

Activ4 wrote:

What you mentioned maybe could be translated like "Collateral Damage" in other words.

Even the Snowden's case has a cry out loud against of what is meant by the very founder of "Democracy and Liberty" itself: America.
The first was a good reason of necessities, thus followed by a "coincidental" findings to peek (& control) other peoples businesses & life!!!

If you go around quoting Democracy and Liberty then probably you will banned from entering Malaysia and many other countries...  :D

Democracy is only a form of government in which all eligible citizens participate equally in the proposal, development, and creation of laws, via their elected representatives. As it is the "rule of the people" it is important to ask "who are the people"?  So you can have your views and others can have theirs but the good of the people is the over-riding factor. 

Liberty is the quality individuals have to control their own actions (and suffer the consequences). Government has a responsibility to ensure individual liberty while at the same time improving the situation of those with the least advantage, done within a framework of laws that the people in essence agree to accept and follow.

Well to be perfectly honest, if any immigration officer in any country asks to take a photo or for my fingerprints, I don't object. Probably you don't object either, right?

Anyway, you obviously know much better than me, so you must be right and I must be wrong  :D

Dynam1c wrote:

Your comment is in general condition, while the indo man story is another condition. Untill now you still not know the storys condition? :D

So you are complaining that immigration is not being fair, and they stereotype certain nationalities? Well to be honest that's normal. Every country's immigration does it to some degree. We could all complain about some nationalities getting fingerprinted, but what's the point? Just accept it. If you feel you are being picked on because you come from a certain country then try telling that to the immigration officer  :D

Some observations, the initial story was about Singapore so not relevant to the discussion here. Some travellers will have already had their photo and fingerprints taken, so it may look as if they are not being targeted equally, when the fact of the matter is that it is only necessary on the first entry. There are some specific details on rules for Indian travellers on the Press page of the Malaysian immigration website, taken from newspaper reports. Crying wolf is never very productive.

Dynam1c wrote:

Ups.. Miss this thing: most of the other visitors are also indos. And it was written on the article that the way the officer forced him was like treating a criminal. :D

It's ok, just try to say what you want to say, coz every post you make you don't actually say much. Now please explain what is your viewpoint or complaint.

I think each and everyone here has a point depending on what they have experienced. I was very upset and angry of my experienced in the Immigration office because I personally thought that its very disrespectful and rude. I had an approved 90 days visa without reference which I filed with all the documents needed and fee at the MALAYSIAN EMBASSY IN MAKATI MANILA. When I came at Johor Bahru Immigration they invited me to the Head Officer Office for further interview BECAUSE THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER IN THE BOOTH is not aware that 90 days visa without reference EXIST and I don't have a problem with it I was very wiling to be asked and clarify my existence. While I was inside the office I was surrounded by 3 women officer and 2 men. The head officer saw my visa and he understood and know about it but suddenly the 3 women started to asked me questions, rude questions and raised their voices before I even answered and directly told me that I am A BAR GIRL and will work in JOHOR as a prostitute, they were putting words into my mouth .. it was very terrifying. THE HEAD officer clearly knew that I had a proper documentation and legal intention to enter the country BUT he still allow the 3 women to interrogate me disrespectfully.

1. ) Approved visa from Malaysian Embassy in Manila ---- means they dont trust THEIR OWN EMBASSY's THAT"S IN OTHER COUNTRIES
2.) I understand the role of Immigration to protect and guard their country BUT I think they need to interrogate with respect because they are dealing with HUMANS not animals. Every single living thing in this World deserved to be respected in anyway.
3.) Why judged me as a PICK UP GIRL??   Because I am FILIPINO??? ----- RACIST , DISCRIMINATION
4.) Immigration officer in the booth not aware of my visa - THEY NEED more KNOWLEDGE of their JOB.
5.) I went to Johor MALAYSIA to do my FU****NG SHOPPING - HELLO??? I will SPEND FU****NG MONEY on THEIR COUNTRY.

I am a TRAVELLER. I TRAVEL alot and its my FIRST TIME to experienced this kind of ANIMALISTIC BEHAVIOR so nobody can BLAME me if I felt the way I FELT.

I am not pushing in everybody's throat about what I think because it's my personal opinion and experienced. I was just sharing. NO HARD FEELINGS!!.

darkmocha0421 wrote:

I think each and everyone here has a point depending on what they have experienced. I was very upset and angry of my experienced in the Immigration office because I personally thought that its very disrespectful and rude. I had an approved 90 days visa without reference which I filed with all the documents needed and fee at the MALAYSIAN EMBASSY IN MAKATI MANILA. When I came at Johor Bahru Immigration they invited me to the Head Officer Office for further interview BECAUSE THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER IN THE BOOTH is not aware that 90 days visa without reference EXIST and I don't have a problem with it I was very wiling to be asked and clarify my existence. While I was inside the office I was surrounded by 3 women officer and 2 men. The head officer saw my visa and he understood and know about it but suddenly the 3 women started to asked me questions, rude questions and raised their voices before I even answered and directly told me that I am A BAR GIRL and will work in JOHOR as a prostitute, they were putting words into my mouth .. it was very terrifying. THE HEAD officer clearly knew that I had a proper documentation and legal intention to enter the country BUT he still allow the 3 women to interrogate me disrespectfully.

1. ) Approved visa from Malaysian Embassy in Manila ---- means they dont trust THEIR OWN EMBASSY's THAT"S IN OTHER COUNTRIES
2.) I understand the role of Immigration to protect and guard their country BUT I think they need to interrogate with respect because they are dealing with HUMANS not animals. Every single living thing in this World deserved to be respected in anyway.
3.) Why judged me as a PICK UP GIRL??   Because I am FILIPINO??? ----- RACIST , DISCRIMINATION
4.) Immigration officer in the booth not aware of my visa - THEY NEED more KNOWLEDGE of their JOB.
5.) I went to Johor MALAYSIA to do my FU****NG SHOPPING - HELLO??? I will SPEND FU****NG MONEY on THEIR COUNTRY.

I am a TRAVELLER. I TRAVEL alot and its my FIRST TIME to experienced this kind of ANIMALISTIC BEHAVIOR so nobody can BLAME me if I felt the way I FELT.

I am not pushing in everybody's throat about what I think because it's my personal opinion and experienced. I was just sharing. NO HARD FEELINGS!!.

I totally agree with you about what you say. But the sad truth is that immigration officers all around the world sometimes act arrogant and unpleasant. It must have been a very harrowing experience and quite unacceptable, but also not much that we can do about that kind of immigration officer.

MikeWallace77 I wont disagree with you because you are right regarding with that matter!! I was just venting of my disappointment and anger.

it can happen to anyone all over the world. !!

darkmocha0421 wrote:

MikeWallace77 I wont disagree with you because you are right regarding with that matter!! I was just venting of my disappointment and anger.

it can happen to anyone all over the world. !!

Yes and it is so sad that there are people like that who behave so badly to guests in their country.

YES!! specially to people who will be SHOPPING in their country LOL very bad idea to be RUDE!! hahaha

Although its an old thread , but i really sympathize with Darkmocha, i dont know why other members here are trying to defend the immigration side... i faced the same issues in some Asianz airports.. they always stopping me to double check if i have any link with terrorist group... they think all Arabz are Terrorists lol (stereotype) ... once i got stopped in Shanghai for 3 hrs   :mad:

Salem - you are an outsider. Of course they want to check you out.  Everyone accepts that these days. Keep Malaysia safe from illegals and terriorists.  The people who live legitimately here value their peace of mind.