Social Security Benefits

Hi,

I want to hear from somebody who is receiving SS benefits in Guatemala. How do you get your money? Is it deposited into a US account and then transferred to an account in Guatemala? Do you have to submit any paperwork to the US government on annual basis to let them know you are still abroad?

Thanks!

Great question!

I live in Antigua on SS.  After reading many posts on the web I still use my banks in the US.  I have a US address for all my business in the US.  I use ATM's to access my money in Guatemala.  I am going to pay my rent by bank transfers.

I have a Schwab Bank "Bank High Yield Investor Checking" account and get a refund of ATM fees and some money transfer fees.  So far everything is working as expected.

I decided not to sign up for Medicare Part B because it cannot be used in Guatemala.  Why pay for something you cannot use?  This has to be a personal decision because there is not a good answer if you would to fined or charged a high rate if you now back to the US.  My wife and I do not have health insurance yet.  The doctor's total fees are less than what we had to pay for co-pays when we had health insurance in the US.  As a side not, we have gotten more and better answers about our health problems in 30 days in Guatemala than in five years of health care in the US.

If you have other questions I will try to answer.

Thank you for your answer, it was very helpful.

I'm guessing I'm still going to have to file my taxes every year right?

As a US citizen all income you make is taxable by the US government subject to certain rules.  My understanding is that taxes you pay to a foreign government is tax deductible from the taxes you pay the US.  My understanding is that any income that comes from outside Guatemala is not taxed by the Guatemalan government.  It is best to consult with a tax expert.  Everything I read on the web says don't try to skip Uncle Sam.  They will find you.  Leif Simon of the blog "Live and Invest Overseas" has some of the best advice on taxes.