Information about the way a 12 yeras old girl to start education

Hello,

We are planning to move to Scotland, highly probably to Glasgow, or Edinburgh. for 2 yeras we lived in Glasgow but at that time we were not haveing a chils, she was born in Glasgow, and when we return back to Turkey, she was only 2 months old.

Now she is almost 12 yeras old. I want to get the detailed true information about what is the way for 12 yeras old girl to start her education in UK. Shall we first take a pre-education before she starts to a normal school, if yes what is the steps? Her english is poor for now, but of course it will not be a huge problerm, but the curriculums are different in Turkey and in Scotland i guess. So, if you already experienced that kind of adaptation process, may you please guide me?

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers / Selamlar,
Ayse

Hi Ayse,

Welcome to expat-blog!

A new topic was created from your post for better visibility on the Glasgow forum. :)

Regards,

David.

Hi Ayse,
just send her to school here, schools will assess her English and if it is not up to scratch will give her support. My son knew only German when he started nursery, the school got the linguistic assessment lady in, surprisingly he had in that short time picked up so much that he had a better vocabulary than some of his peers, so he did not get any extra support. He is doing very well, is 12 yrs now and in his class a girl arrived last year from Lithuania, spoke hardly any English, but is quite fluent now.
The "curriculum for excellence" which is nowadays used in Scottish schools teaches each child according to the level where they are.
And as there are no grades or anything at that age she will just acclimatise at her own pace and pick up quickly....
Good luck!
Annette