Ordinary residence for non-EU nationals

Hi,

I come from Moldova, an Eastern European country, thus considered a third-country as based on Malta's laws.

My question is simple: can I just live in Malta just like that?

Supposing that:

1. I'm not interested to apply for a work permit (which would automatically grant me residence).

2. I'm not interested to invest 100k or smth like that for special tax benefits if I understand correctly, and I don't intend to buy a house either. Not for the very first moment at least, I'm interested to rent one.

3. I can support myself from my own online activities, and yes, I could be able to also prove that through a bank statement or smth like that.

4. I don't need special tax facilities, I don't need anything from local authorities. If needed I can pay insurance or anything of the sort, I'm not asking for any advantage.

So what can I do to get an ordinary residence (that's the right name if I'm not wrong) that will allow me to stay in Malta for as much as I want, and potentially, also bring my girlfriend (future wife) with me?

I know that other topics may have been just about the same, just couldn't find anywhere a precise answer.

Looking forward to your answers.

You can try :) Anyway, it will be the decision of particular clerk in Citizenship department.

1. Apply for tourist visa and come to Malta
2. Find the appartment for rent with official rental agreement
3. Pay for private health insurance
4. Collect all docs supporting your self-sufficiency basis
5. Apply for residence permit to C&EA department

Most probably they will reject, but you can try

Thanks for your answer, I'm still looking for more though as I am sure there may have been people in about the same situation and maybe they can share their experience?

And I'm not interested to be rejected:)

Irefutabilul,

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … dence.aspx

So if I understand correctly, Form K is the one I should be looking for? It says that it's an "Economic Self-sufficiency" type of residence and I should only provide evidence that I can take care of myself, although it hasn't specified which amount exactly is considered to be enough. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks a lot for your answers, it's a great forum!

The thing is, when I cheked this page, http://www.emd.com.mt/advocates/en-us/p … ence.aspx, it didn't say anything about the Economic Self-Sufficiency option for non-EU nationals, so I thought this is only available for EU ctizens. Did something change meanwhile or which of them is the true one?

Yes, it's form K
This form is used for point 5 in my list above :)

Officially it's applicable for both EU and non-EU citizens, but in practice they are trying to reject as much foreigners as possible.

Hi Irefutabilul,

temporary residency based on economic self-sufficiency (ie having plenty of money and not having to work - online work is considered work ) for non-EU citizens is decided on case -by-case:

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … A8-URP.pdf

The exact amounts and conditions are given.

It would be renewable yearly for a couple of years but the authorities try to avoid having non-EU citizens stay in Malta for 5 years or more as that entitles to permanent residency.

There is a new programme planned that allows foreigners to buy Maltese citizenship for 650.000 €! I'm not sure if that is an option -)))

It would be very difficult to have your girlfriend follow you to Malta. She would have to apply on her grounds. From personal experience I can tell you that it is very difficult for a non-EU citizen able to stay in Malta longer if the person is not working and is not a family member of an EU citizen. And it can also be difficult to find an adequate job here in Malta.

What is not allowed for non-EU (third-country) citizens is self-employment. This option is only allowed for EU citizens and is used extensivly by Romanian and Bulgarian EU citizens to get around the requirement of needing a work permit.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for your answers guys.

Well according to the link above, it says that non-EU nationals can bring the members of their families with them, if they have enough money for both.

It also says that they should have a certain income (about 18k per annum if I understand correctly) got in Malta. What is that supposed to mean? Well yes, I do work online, but it's not an official income so I could well say that I just have enough money to support myself and my future wife.

What if I was to get Romanian citizenship? Would this make things easier for both of us? Moldova nationals are entitled to Romanian citizenship as this is Romanian land historically, only that it takes about one year to get it. But do you think this could be a better move instead of pushing my luck as a third-country citizen?

And here's one more question: what if I was to register a company in Malta?

I know that non-EU nationals are entitled to set up a company in Malta, only that I'm not sure if the Director will automatically get some sort of residence?

Getting Romanian citizenship and with that full rights within the EU from January 2014 onwards would certainly be the best advice.

With everything else you will always depend on the decision of someone at the residency department. Income in Malta means that amount at your disposal in Malta excluding the rent.

Your girlfriend would not qualify as a family member until you are married and she would never be allowed to work in Malta.

You will actually have to show(prove) your income and not just 'say' -)))

For setting up a company you would require professional advice but I have never heard of anybody being granted residency on that basis without investment and employing Maltese in the company. It usually boils down to the 100.000 € investment and employing a certain number of Maltese. If you working for your own company as executive director in Malta you will require a work contract and a work permit. If you employ enough Maltese workers and pay taxes and so on you should be ok. But as I said - get professional advice on that!

Cheers
Ricky

You can establish the company but it doesn't help you in any way with the residence.