Anybody moving to Canada from Singapore here???

Hey everyone!

Sorry been busy these few months studying. So where was I?

Ok, I was contacted by my elder sister who is now a PR in Perth, Australia and she is also thinking of migrating to Canada too. That's good news for me. As for my other friends, they are preparing themselves like education etc.

Anyway, throughout having some meet ups with fellow friends over the days, I was told about Toronto where this couple had migrated there for 3 years and they went back to Singapore for some reasons. One of the reason is that during winter, some roads were closed due to icy roads and husband can't fetch her due to road closure. The wife cried and forced the husband to go back to Singapore. That's sad to hear. I wonder why she didn't take the public transport back.

So, as Philip Yeo is staying in Halifax and Kaisin is in Calgary. Which one is the better in terms of work life balance? Take note, im not going to Toronto. While others in here, you are welcome to input your experience, where you stay and how do you go about doing it. If you are still in Singapore and making plans to migrate to Canada, please let me know. We can meet up for a chit chat.

Anyway, I had a discussion with those who are migrating to Canada and there are some questions which I can't answer. So please help me out all of you kind souls. Some issues can be sensitive but hope you can be patient with it. Don't take it to heart. Its for my knowledge and security sake.

1. Now, Canada is nearby America and issues of the Islam is going like crazy. Im not a fan of self destruction and I don't intend to blow myself up in the name of Allah nor have a feeling of hatred towards others as I have massive sins to cover up and yet to repent. Donald Trump made a point of not allowing Muslims to enter America. I understood his point but Singaporean Malays-Muslims-bombs = No no. So, my wife questioned me the other day regarding the security of the people in Canada. In Singapore it is illegal to own a gun which is a death penalty. I read that in Canada, it is ok to own a gun as a licensed owner but unable to use it unless something bad happens. Now, is there any such occasion(s) where a crackhead goes rampage and starts shooting people at random? Any chances those Muslim Americans would shift to Canada? And for those Muslim women who wears a hijab BUT NOT A NIQAB and BURKA? Any discrimination against them? There is a recent case here in Singapore where a Malay women's hijab was pulled away by an expat while on the MRT. The case is still under investigation but the news was not being posted out due to sensitive issue.
http://globalnews.ca/tag/calgary-crime/http://www.oslocoalition.org/hijabs-online/http://www.soundvision.com/article/bann … -in-canadahttp://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s … itizenshiphttp://cloudmind.info/hijab-niqab-and-burka-faq/

2. I hope to graduate end of next year and spend another 6 months to settle things before moving to Canada. Any Singaporean in here can advice me what should I do first, step by step so that I do not have to worry about Singapore once im in Canada?

3. I bought a bto flat and its been 3 years now. I do not wish to sell it but intend to rent it out. So, if im going to Canada, how about the monthly installments? Its impossible to clear the amount. Is there any ways to like put money inside cpf? Has anyone do this? Any advice?

4. Jobs (again) Any good website that I can look for jobs? Should I be sending out resumes now or after I graduate?

5. Philip, you are in the IT industry. Any idea about HR, Facilities Management or admin salary range? Assuming im earning $5k per month here in SG. Should I use a converter to convert $5000 to Canadian Dollar and from there I negotiate the salary range?

6. Should I go to Canada and apply for a job or when im in Singapore then apply for a job?

7. Me and wife wished to own a car there but nevertheless hope for a place to stay near the train stations in case car broke down or icy roads or lazy to drive. Any place(s) to recommend? We don't mind walking to the train station if its nearby.

8. Purchasing of car. I read this article and lots more. I can get a car, cash and carry or get it financed through a bank. I read somewhere that a bank is able to loan at max $40,000 and payback within 7 years plus interest. Where do I start? What should I do first?
https://www.carbuyingtips.com/canada.htm

9. In conjunction to question 7, licence. Do I have to go for another practical/theory test before able to drive or I just grab a car and drive? Its a left hand drive. Gosh. Shifting gears with my right hand.

10. Getting a house. Should I be looking at a house in Canada while im in Singapore or when im there then start to look for it? Where do I start?

11. Some of my female friends are probably, wish to set up a a small fashion business which caters to women only. Any restrictions to import items from Malaysia or Indonesia?

12. I have a friend here whose mom is working for the US Airforce. I have no idea why he is in Singapore but he told me that the basic amount to at least comply with Maslow's hierarchy of needs is $8000? What should be the safe amount of cash to bring there?
http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

13. Banks. There are tonnes of banks in Canada. Which one is similar to POSB? And which one is good for investment?

I want to apologise for the questions imposed which is like scrambled eggs. I know that answers can be found on the internet but some are contradicting and some are literally outdated. I have tonnes of questions still stuck in my brain but lets settle the above questions before I move on to another wave of questions.

Thank you for answering my questions!

1. Now, Canada is nearby America and issues of the Islam is going like crazy. Im not a fan of self destruction and I don't intend to blow myself up in the name of Allah nor have a feeling of hatred towards others as I have massive sins to cover up and yet to repent. Donald Trump made a point of not allowing Muslims to enter America. I understood his point but Singaporean Malays-Muslims-bombs = No no. So, my wife questioned me the other day regarding the security of the people in Canada. In Singapore it is illegal to own a gun which is a death penalty. I read that in Canada, it is ok to own a gun as a licensed owner but unable to use it unless something bad happens. Now, is there any such occasion(s) where a crackhead goes rampage and starts shooting people at random? Any chances those Muslim Americans would shift to Canada? And for those Muslim women who wears a hijab BUT NOT A NIQAB and BURKA? Any discrimination against them? There is a recent case here in Singapore where a Malay women's hijab was pulled away by an expat while on the MRT. The case is still under investigation but the news was not being posted out due to sensitive issue.
http://globalnews.ca/tag/calgary-crime/http://www.oslocoalition.org/hijabs-online/http://www.soundvision.com/article/bann … -in-canada
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s … itizenship
http://cloudmind.info/hijab-niqab-and-burka-faq/

[color=#000000]Canadians are pretty polite and non offensive people. In general, they respect people from all religion. Mayor of Calgary is Muslim. Not a new thing to them. [/color]

2. I hope to graduate end of next year and spend another 6 months to settle things before moving to Canada. Any Singaporean in here can advice me what should I do first, step by step so that I do not have to worry about Singapore once im in Canada?

[color=#150e90]Change IC address
Make sure you don't recontract your telcos
Stop buying additional stuffs, otherwise you will have problems clearing them
Slowly sell off your stuffs
Start learning how to cook
Save money!
[/color]

3. I bought a bto flat and its been 3 years now. I do not wish to sell it but intend to rent it out. So, if im going to Canada, how about the monthly installments? Its impossible to clear the amount. Is there any ways to like put money inside cpf? Has anyone do this? Any advice?

Many ways of paying HDB instalments, you can either use remaining CPF or use rental to cover by Giro. If you put money inside CPF, it will be divided to OA , SA account, i think might be better just do it by giro deduction. If you are looking to sublet entire flat, you are under the MOP, so you will require to check with HDB and get their approval on this.

4. Jobs (again) Any good website that I can look for jobs? Should I be sending out resumes now or after I graduate?

maybe after you land here in Canada or one month before you are moving over. www.indeed.ca or job bank canada

5. Philip, you are in the IT industry. Any idea about HR, Facilities Management or admin salary range? Assuming im earning $5k per month here in SG. Should I use a converter to convert $5000 to Canadian Dollar and from there I negotiate the salary range?

6. Should I go to Canada and apply for a job or when im in Singapore then apply for a job?

7. Me and wife wished to own a car there but nevertheless hope for a place to stay near the train stations in case car broke down or icy roads or lazy to drive. Any place(s) to recommend? We don't mind walking to the train station if its nearby.

If you do have driving license in Singapore, it is vital to go down to UBI traffic police HQ to get a drivers reference letter, citing that you have good and clean driving record so that it is more convenient for you to go through the testing. Singapore license cannot be converted to Canadian ones. You should get it ($10) before you arrive, safe you a lot of trouble

8. Purchasing of car. I read this article and lots more. I can get a car, cash and carry or get it financed through a bank. I read somewhere that a bank is able to loan at max $40,000 and payback within 7 years plus interest. Where do I start? What should I do first?
https://www.carbuyingtips.com/canada.htm

I bought my car at kijiji. Went to the guy's house, paid $13500 for a 2009 toyota camry 3.5litres V6 and that's it. Just bring the car to register . yearly renewal is $84 and that's it. No road tax, nothing. all i pay every month is the gas i use.

Depends on what car you are buying.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/calg … ice=5000__

Do prepare to pay more if you are buying a brand new car.

9. In conjunction to question 7, licence. Do I have to go for another practical/theory test before able to drive or I just grab a car and drive? Its a left hand drive. Gosh. Shifting gears with my right hand.

Yes, Left hand drive. Must start everything again. I failed on the first time haha. Went to do testing on 2nd day and passed. you also have to deal with driving in the snow (think sega rally). Driving is pretty much a necessity if you don't want your legs to be "tied". As for the left hand drive, you will get the hang of it.

10. Getting a house. Should I be looking at a house in Canada while im in Singapore or when im there then start to look for it? Where do I start?

Are you looking to rent or own. Do you have family members to hold you when you are there?

11. Some of my female friends are probably, wish to set up a a small fashion business which caters to women only. Any restrictions to import items from Malaysia or Indonesia?

12. I have a friend here whose mom is working for the US Airforce. I have no idea why he is in Singapore but he told me that the basic amount to at least comply with Maslow's hierarchy of needs is $8000? What should be the safe amount of cash to bring there?
http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

$8000 for how long?and for how many people?

13. Banks. There are tonnes of banks in Canada. Which one is similar to POSB? And which one is good for investment?

i use TD bank. they seemed to be every where in Calgary

I want to apologise for the questions imposed which is like scrambled eggs. I know that answers can be found on the internet but some are contradicting and some are literally outdated. I have tonnes of questions still stuck in my brain but lets settle the above questions before I move on to another wave of questions.

@Marhalim,

I've been very busy of late - travelling alot to the states and back. I'm going to try to make it short as best I can.

Canada is overall a more welcoming nation than US. It recently accepted 10000 Syrian refugees and are enroute to reach their max capacity of 25000 which is way more than the states.

I think that's a very noble thing to do.

Yes I am in the IT industry. I am not sure about HR and facilities management admin range. I would say 5K may be fair depending what and where you work. Know that if you work as a superintendent/building manager of an apartment, the company usually prefers to employ a couple (husband and wife - whereby one person manages paper work and the other all the other repair related stuff)

As to your other question - its usually easier to be here in person.

Hope this helps.

Hi Kaisin and Philip,

Thank you for the information given.

Will discuss further about these issues.

Regards,
Halim

Marhalim wrote:

Hi Kaisin and Philip,

Thank you for the information given.

Will discuss further about these issues.

Regards,
Halim

In addition to that, if you get a gig like that, its usually the case that they'll let have an apartment, rent-free or heavily subsidized.

Hello Kevl. Im really concerned about immigration program with a banking job like yours. Can you give me some advice in this section? Im from Viet nam. Thank you! Jasmine

Hi Pradeep,

Subash here from Singapore.
Understand your post was on 2011, but to check are you still active in blog.

Like to check more in depth about immigration to Canada

Subash K Sashi

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

I am dezso fron saint catharines ontario nier the usa border i think saint catharines good place to bee a nurs or doctor nice city not to mach traffic and good paying jobs for helthcare .when are you coming?

Hi Kaisin,

Sorry for digging up the old post 2 years ago, but you mentioned you didn't take IELTS. I noticed the immigration site asking for IELTS when apply for Express Entry. Pls share more on this. I also saw someone mentioned in a previous post if not from local uni then have to take English test. Is there such a visa cat that does not need IELTS so that I could save some bucks to apply? :)

kaisin wrote:

No I didn't :)

This one :)

Hello LadyLyn,

How are you? I believe you are in Canada now? I understand it's been almost 7 years since you had pending your PR application.

I would like to apply for my son who is currently study in New Zealand and may you recommend me the agent that you used for your application?
I already in contact in Globevisa.com but they charge for SGD7K and is it reasonable that they cannot tell you upfront what documents you will need to provide and have to pay all Fee upon signing the contract ?

Thank you and would love to hear more about your story.

PS: We are Indonesian but I am PR in Singapore.

Regards,
Miqlo

Hello Bodyhendra or Phillip,

Can help to recommend agent in Singpore for my son application for Canada?

Thanks,
Miqlo

Miqlo wrote:

Hello Bodyhendra or Phillip,

Can help to recommend agent in Singpore for my son application for Canada?

Thanks,
Miqlo

I do not know anyone who is in Singapore specifically but I do know a Malaysian who's based in Toronto. He's a certified agent and uses email / skype / whatsapp / phone to communicate. He does go back to Malaysian during summer every year as well. If you are interested, pm me and I shall provide you his details.

Hi Lynn and anyway from Singapore

I've just moved to Vancouver from Singapore and wondered if you can offer some advice on your experience since being here and whether you feel it was the right decesion to move as I am having doubts on whether I am financially better being here rather than Singapore as I am feeling home sick.

Looking forward to hearing from you as would love to here your view as a Singaporean.

Kind regards
Carmen

bmw777 wrote:

Hi Lynn and anyway from Singapore

I've just moved to Vancouver from Singapore and wondered if you can offer some advice on your experience since being here and whether you feel it was the right decesion to move as I am having doubts on whether I am financially better being here rather than Singapore as I am feeling home sick.

Looking forward to hearing from you as would love to here your view as a Singaporean.

Kind regards
Carmen

Hi Lynn,

Another acquaintance of mine who incidentally left Singapore to move to Vancouver also had the same thought. And why wouldn't you since both Canadian and Sg currency are almost equal. Home sick is a natural feeling. Trust me if you were in any other province than that's an acceptable excuse, but you're in Vancouver, one of the most diverse cities in Canada apart from Toronto. Plus the temperature is way better there. For me, I am moving Vancouver in a years time, having lived in the exact opposite (eastern most) for 8 plus years. There are ways to measure the benefits of living here other than financially. But again, that's all based on individual preference. I also know another Singaporean family who's settled down in BC for 15 years. The things they can do which they can't back home are like, affording a detached home, lifestyle of a balanced work-life, etc etc.

Philip

Thanks Phillip for your response. Are there any groups of people from Singapore wjo are available for me to meet up to share experiences and are based near Coquitlam?

bmw777 wrote:

Thanks Phillip for your response. Are there any groups of people from Singapore wjo are available for me to meet up to share experiences and are based near Coquitlam?

I am not so sure about Singaporean group in specific. The ones I've mentioned were folks I met up online. But I do know there's definitely alot of them. You can join the 'singaporeans in canada' group in Facebook and also make a request to 'Malaysians in Canada' FB group too which I am an admin. I know that there are a couple of Malaysians in Vancouver are very connected to the Malaysia + Singapore kakis there in Vancouver.

Hi there,

Are you still working on Canada PR application? Or already lodged?
I am just started reading the process and requirement.
Care to share some info or advise on the process?
You can drop me an email at xxx.

Regards,
Ethan

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Many thanks Phillip. I give the facebook ago.

All the best Carmen. Btw I'm in Vancouver for the week for a business trip but flew in a little earlier on my own to check out the place and survey for my pending move from Halifax, if you like to meet and talk over coffee, let me know. PM me and we can talk more there.

I glimpsed through this thread and found useful information. I am from Singapore and having 8+ years of experience in IT software development.

Route to Canadian PR
1. Prepare for IELTS
2. book the date for IELTS
3. wait for 13 days to get the results and immediately apply for PR
4. Apply as a federal skilled worker class by Sep early  and by april 2018 should be able to get the PR.

kindly let me know if i have to deviate from my planned route.

I am married and have a toddler. I though I will go first and look for job and settle.then get my husband and daughter as dependent.would like to hear your comments on this.

How far it is good to go through agent.

I believe we are mature and educated enough to apply and track the application by yourself instead shelling out dollars to consultant

I glimpsed through this thread and found useful information. I am from Singapore and having 8+ years of experience in IT software development.

Route to Canadian PR
1. Prepare for IELTS
4. Apply as a federal skilled worker class by Sep early  and by april 2018 should be able to get the PR.

I am married and have a toddler. I though I will go first and look for job and settle.then get my husband and daughter as dependent.would like to hear your comments on this.

I believe we are mature and educated enough to apply and track the application by yourself instead shelling out dollars to consultant

You have to cater in WES - where you'll need to submit your university credentials for assessment. I have no clue how long that'll take. Did it the old way before they introduced that.

Agent saves time (given the fact we all have to work) and ensures that things that are not too clearly spelled out or rather have to be read between the lines are taken care of. Basically they ensure your investment (in the whole application), don't fall through the cracks. If you're a straightforward applicant, then by all means you can go at it on your own. There is no harm whatsoever. By straightforward - i mean simple and not complicated (complicated is like 1 husband from a different country, wife is from another, maybe more than one kid etc etc). You will save some $$. But again, if you have quite a hectic life, juggling work and family, finding the time to read the forms and instructions and researching through the forum can be daunting. NOTE: I am not an agent, just speaking from experience.

Hi there,

You are right about applying and tracking the application by ourselves. I feel the same way as you too. I try to read as much information as possible and will try to launch express entry. However, i would like to add one more thing in your Route to Canadian PR. Apart from IELTS, you will have to do ECA (Education Credential Assessment) if your degree or qualification is not from Canada. Please feel free to pm me so that we can discuss more on process as per what we have read so far.

parivinu wrote:

Route to Canadian PR
1. Prepare for IELTS

Thanks a lot philipyeo and ethan_han for the very quick responses. will pm you ethan_han

Hi toronton r u stil here?
We wud like to fly to tronto in decmber. Wil u help us,?

Sporean
Bt panjang

Hi philipyeo

R u i vcouver stilin december?

Hi... I like to move to Canada. I'm presently working at construction field in Singapore. Please guide me. Reach me at xxx

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi there,

i was wondering, how long does it take for your application to process along with all those medical check ups, language test etc. 10 months? 18 months? until you received you PR results? Thank you.

Hello all, I just went over to AIMS in June to check things out regarding the process and fee etc. It turns out that the fee for the entire process is going to cost me SGD 9800 (excluding GST, English Test, medical fees etc.) I was promised with an application of about 10 - 18 months to obtain my PR. I would like to hear some feedbacks. Now, SGD 9800 is not an easy sum to have, i'm just thinking would it be wise to pay these people the cash to get things done (hassle-free)? Else if may I get some directions please? I know some of you get through the application all done by yourself, but what if something gone wrong? How do you go about rectifying them?

Talking about buying car, do you pay the car in cash for pre-owned cars? What's the procedures like? And i was reading some post above mentioning that we can't convert our licence, and we need to do it before going over. Can I get more details here too? Any driving courses required to obtain Canadian driver licence? Thank you all very much!

Applewerk wrote:

Hello all, I just went over to AIMS in June to check things out regarding the process and fee etc. It turns out that the fee for the entire process is going to cost me SGD 9800 (excluding GST, English Test, medical fees etc.) I was promised with an application of about 10 - 18 months to obtain my PR. I would like to hear some feedbacks. Now, SGD 9800 is not an easy sum to have, i'm just thinking would it be wise to pay these people the cash to get things done (hassle-free)? Else if may I get some directions please? I know some of you get through the application all done by yourself, but what if something gone wrong? How do you go about rectifying them?

Talking about buying car, do you pay the car in cash for pre-owned cars? What's the procedures like? And i was reading some post above mentioning that we can't convert our licence, and we need to do it before going over. Can I get more details here too? Any driving courses required to obtain Canadian driver licence? Thank you all very much!

SGD 9800? Is that for just 1 person or 2 person or more? Even if its just for 1 or 2, I believe that's quite a sum. I don't think its going to be that high. Try either http://wanassociates.com/ or http://www.abicrcic.ca/content/home
The later is a friend of mine. While the former is one I've used before for myself. Well on the question of whether it is wise to use them. Well my only answer to that is depending on 2 things. (1) How complicated your background is? (2) How free are you?
My background is a little colorful and thus required alot of meticulous form filling and knowing the inner workings of the application process which aren't typically available in the open. And I was working and had a kid then thus time was obviously hard to get by. If you do it by yourself, you don't want to get things wrong. At a certain point you might not even get your application fee refunded to you. And you'd be rejected. I've experienced that the first time which is why I eventually went to an immigration consultant next.

As for cars. They are cheap enough to buy cash for the 2nd hands. 10K perhaps. Depending on what you guy. My first one I paid 6K cash. Procedures? Just walk into a shop and buy what you like. The guys will handle things for you. If you buy on the streets, be careful. Watch out for undercarriage rust. But you might not find alot of that in BC because they don't get as much snow elsewhere.

Yes you'd need to take the whole driving test again. No escaping that. Unless you already have a North American license. If you do, than you can convert it.

Hi Philip,

The fee I shared is rather recent hence it's more real than anything I know. I just wanna know some comparison among the consultants and why the differ in fees. Does it helps with paying more (which i doubt)? So need some views here. And yes, this is the fee for 2. Not sure if that's the standard?

If taking the license is mandatory, what are procedures? Any specific website where I can get a better understanding? And approx fee for the courses? Thank you Philip.

:top:

@philipyeo btw the consultancies you shared are all in Canada, how is that applicable to me? Just don't really sure. And I remembered you mentioned that you are moving, so in the event of moving from one province to another, will there be any hassle? lol

Hi Philip
I am a new member here n read all your postings n lately you mentioned of yr plan to move to Vancouver in the near future. Would like to share with you your plan on Vancouver especially where is the place to live. We are planning to move to Vancouver too in 2 to 3 years and is planning for the move in advance.

Hi,

We came to Vancouver 2 years ago, would like to meet more kakis here.

Also, any NUS alumni here in Vancouver?

Thanks!
Richard

Hi Richard
I think you can have many Kopitiam kakis here. Join the Vancouver Singapore club .membership fee is only $25 a year. Btw where are you at ? downtown Vancouver?

Hi Lynn,

I hope you enjoy living here in Canada, and that your move went well. Me and my husband are born and raised in Montreal,Canada and would like to move to Singapore. We visit Singapore for the first time last September for our honeymoon and we fall in love with this country.My husband is a CPA actually working as an financial analyst in a company here. He is actually looking for a job in Singapore, maybe you can help us with this ?

Thanks !!

Could you recommend any short courses for 6 months or less than 6 months in Vancouver? I am entitled to apply without study permit.Please advise which courses are easy to find a job in Canada.
Many thanks.

Yes madam I want move Canada tjanks

Hi there,

I moved from Singapore 5 years ago and have lived in 3 province (and 3 cities). Currently work and live in Richmond, BC. Do let me know if you want to have coffee session.

Cheers,

Boedi

Hi Boedi ,  would like to meet up with you for coffee in Spring 2019 when I move to Vancouver, may I know how to get in touch with you. I am from Spore n a Sporean.