Anybody moving to Canada from Singapore here???

Look forward to hear about your job search experience. 

So far trying the on-line job sites has not been promising. 

Seemed that being a local/having canadian experience; not qualifications/experience is a pre-requisite

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.. I found it through researching on a news article on the poll that shows most would move to canada if they could..

My boyfriend is a Canadian, born and raised in Burnaby.. We have been in a long distance relationship for close to two years and recently we are talking about relocating.

I have read on the CIC.gov.ca website and I found out how difficult it is for me to move there... I tried job agencies to get a job there and they either don't respond or give me the reply that they'll only consider if I'm holding a PR status.. :(

I heard a friend applied for PR easily without having to pay through her nose... but difference is that she knows French.. For that, I've even taken up French and I'm now in my 11-month of my French lesson..

is there anyone here who knows how I can go about getting a job first?  I'm a Malaysian in her 20s, with an honours degree in Science and working in Singapore now..

Many many thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I am a m'sian and s'porean expat living in Vancouver at the moment. I've been here for a very long time.

Im surprised at the number of S'poreans wanting to emigrate to Canada. Im just curious why.....A good friend of mine in Singapore says she would like to live in Canada but couldn't do it without a maid and will therefore not move here. The quality of life is definitely at par for both countries. Is it the weather? or just a desire for change? are the "rules of life" in Singapore restrictive? or is this for the kids?
Interesting...

I came here as an undergraduate a long time ago, met my wife and our kids have been raised here so I'm pretty much settled here for good. I do miss home ever so often though and return for holidays at least once every 2 years. I have some friends here who recently emigrated and the older they are, the harder they find adjusting to their new canadian life. The major issues being. missing friends and relatives, food, difficulty in forging new friendships here.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I would be happy to help anyone (in any way I can) wanting help to move here. I am based in Vancouver and I have very good reasons for living here.

Cheers,
Pradeep

nobitamiao wrote:

Hi Bebetomate,

I didn't get an agent to do the PR application and therefore didn't have to pay through my nose. Application process was pretty simple and straight forward. Every now and then, the criteria for the PR change and it is really very difficult to follow and try to score the points by changing job etc.

Learning french is one way to gain some points for the PR process but it is a very long process and not that easy too. I lived in montreal for two years and took french for 6 months or more and I still can't speak french when i left montreal. Do you know that you still need to take the french language examination, and even for the english language for malaysian. Agent tend to be able to find some way that can qualify for the points though.

To find a job without Canadian experience is already a big problem for PR, not to mention if you are not a PR. Unless you can prove that your job is very specialize and not many in canada can do the job. I worked in Vancouver for 6 months before and i know it is extremely difficult to get the immigratin to issue a permit for you to work there.

nobitamiao

Hi nobitamiao,

Thanks for your reply.

If you didn't engage an agent, and hasn't got a job there either, how do you apply to migrate?  Are you investing a lot in Canada?

I'm in my mid 20s and I have only been working for 2 yrs so I don't have whatsoever money to go in as a big investor.

Could it be your Canadian experience?

I stayed in Vancouver for about 5 months - not enough to qualify for Canadian experience either =(

I'm very curious how you apply...

Hi nobitamio,

Greatly appreciate your prompt response.

I learn French not just for the possibility of using it for immigration.  I think I'm still really far away from it :p

I told my bf that the process took you 3.5 yrs, he himself was a little taken aback too..

Who knows, in the end we'd get married before I decide to go through that route :p

Hi Bebetomate,

We moved from Singapore to Vancouver 7 years ago.  During that time, the process is much faster and easier.  Nowadays with the large amount of immigrant from China, it is getting more difficult to come to Vancouver.  I have heard that it might be easier to go through the provinical nominee program, or if you have a skill that Canada needs, try to apply for work permit.  Hope this helps :)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my paperwork to apply for Canadian PR (I'm Singaporean and my hubby is Canadian). A required supporting document is a letter/certificate from the police that I don't have a criminal record.

The problem is, the police said I need an official request letter from the Canadian High Commission for the police certificate of clearance. But the CHC said it will only issue this official letter after it has received and reviewed my PR application (which will be incomplete without the police certificate).

Has anyone encountered such a problem before? Would look forward to any suggestion/advice on how I can get about this situation.

Thanks!

Hi nennahchong!

Welcome on Expat.com.

Armand

I have been here for more than 3 years working as a professional in Mississauga/Toronto.

If you are thinking of moving here, let me know and I can try to give you some pointers. Drop me an email.

Good luck.

I find the posting interesting here ...why singaporean moved to canada... most of the people whom move here is primary for the child education as there are more prospect for the children studying in canada than Singapore lest you are a scholar ...

Good luck to all.

Cheers
Gabriel

hi, Lynn, r u in canada now ?

Yes Lynn. Keep us updated.

Hello Waiting and welcome to Expat.com!

A little intro maybe?:whistle:

Thank you,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Harmonie and all

Singaporean and had applied for migration to Canada. Thought of going to Toronto as relatives there.

Any one knows of a good professional photographer to do the PR Card photographs in Singapore? Heard they are quite strict with the requirements. How about the one in Holland V/

I am a Torontonian. I have visited Vancouver, BC and I must say I like it in Vancouver. It is a very much featured landscape. The drive on the Sea-to-Sky Highway or Route 99 is one of the most scenic drives I have driven. Chilliwack corns is just amazing to eat.

I am tempted to relocate to BC.

Hi all,

I kinda stumbled upon this site while search about more information regarding the PR application.

I am thinking of apply for the PR, but I don't think I can fulfil the minimum financial requirements just yet. I am working and saving up, but I can't show that I have that amount right now. Can I start the application first? When will they ask for the proof of bank statements?

I am a manufacturing engineer by profession, and I am thinking of working in Canada, because I feel like I need a change of working environment and see the world when I am still young (well, at least still restless enough to want to travel more and experience working elsewhere). From what I can see, Ontario seemed to have more job opportunities there, though I have to be a PR before they would even look at my application.

I have sort of downloaded the information pack from the CIC website, but I haven't actually sat down and figure out what I need to do and what I can do for now. But the main thing that I am worrying about is the proof of bank statement. Would appreciate any advice on when they will ask for that? Thanks.

Hi macdawn,

I don't know about other cities but Toronto is not a place for immigrants. Been here for two years and haven't been able to find a job although I have been working for about 10 years in Singapore.
It's tough and the cost of living is high. Think twice.

Hi Everyone,

I hope this blog is still very active.

We are a Muslim Singaporean family with a 4-year old child, who intend to set our foot in Canada/Australia. Reason for immigrating is definitely the stressful education system in Singapore.

I am thinking to do our application on our own without agent. Reading from nobitamio correspondences, the process seems pretty straightforward. Perhaps nobitamio want to add more on this issue or other bloggers would care to add in too.

I am surprised that the approval would take at least 3 years. Very long, I think, or is it normal? Is the process the same for Australia?

I would also like to know why you people choose Canada than Australia.

We have not start on anything yet but I am thinking of proceeding with Canada embassy first to get a letter of request for COC.

Please furnish me with lots of information that could help me understand the immigration process better.

It takes a long time because Singaporeans have the highest failure rates to integrate among most SEA nations. 10% failures compared to 5% for others. CIC is not hopeful for us to stay. Approval is no longer 3 years. It is now 5 years for approval.

Forget about Singapore when you come here. Do not compare. Start new. Be determined. Forget about the cushy jobs you have in Singapore. You must forge your own way.

Contary to hamsu, cost of living is lower than Singapore if you know how to keng. Select your province carefully. Taxation maybe high but the rebates is just as high. More like you give, the government will return as well. Tax returns is not as easy as IRAS. Every child you have, you will get government milk money up to $300 per month. Do not let your wife ligate yet. :) But you must pay tax.

Toronto have quite a high number of Muslims but you need to be careful too. Some radicals as well. Last year a big issue when a father murdered his daughter for honour and still adamant in court that he is right.

Human rights standings here is high but do not take it for granted. Live according to the laws of the land. I think both the Christian and Muslim faith teaches us to do so.

Everyone has a right. Even gays and lesbians. So do not cry to the authorities when other faiths or lifestyles invade your turf. Your children's values are based on your upbringing skills. Do not blame society.

That being said, you will have more time with your family here in Canada compared to Singapore.

Check CIC website. Everything is there. You need to digest it all. Choose the correct path to immigration and have an attitude to succeed with no room for failure. Burn the imaginary bridge back to Singapore as a fall back. Do not look back if you want to trod down this path. Consider this carefully and commit.

Canada is the most eastern western society in the western hemisphere. The Asian markets here are more stocked than NTUC. Even Indians find that the markets here have more rare stuff to buy than back home.

It is easy for us Chinese because HKgers opened up the way for the Chinese culture. But still eating out is expensive. Cooking for yourself is a joy.

Generally the white people have a good impression on Asians. Very hardworking. No nonsense. Responsible and very crafty. :) Mainland Chinese in Vancouver are very high profiled. Very rich Chinese go to BC. They have big properties and drive expensive cars. Their children raced on the highway with Lambo and Mercs and get caught recently. :) Trade for Canada now flows in from Vancouver. Eastern like Toronto is finance and services. IT for Nova Scotia used to be good until the crash in 2008.

But every province sells themselves for immigrants. ABO, Alberta, BC and Ontario are the usual landing areas thus the most immigrants. So the lesser provinces are wooing very hard for other immigrants. If you prefer an even slower pace, try Nova Scotia, Manitoba or Saskatchewan. They usually lack expertise and skills. Think of Canada as many countries in one. Every province have their own laws and practices.

You will take 2 winters to get used to winter. Winter is ok, I find I lose more weight because my body works harder to keep warm. You will have a great workout shovelling snow on your driveway.

That being said, You decide. Study the country in detail and select the province you want to land on. It might shorten your wait times.

Dear LordAlfa,

Thank you so much for the exhaustive info.

Wow! It is 5 years now? Is it faster by agent or just the same even if you do on your own. BTW, how do you get yours? Can give me some tips?:D

If 5 years by the time everything approved I would be 42. Will they still employ people at that age? Well, I will not be hindered by the age factor as I am so determined to go OUT.

How long have you been in TOronto? To reiterate, can tell me how fast do you get your PR?

Thanks in advance. ;)

I am older than you. Take it that our predecessors in Canada skrood up making us unfavoured. It is still 5 years whether using an agent or not.

LordAlfa wrote:

I am older than you. Take it that our predecessors in Canada skrood up making us unfavoured. It is still 5 years whether using an agent or not.

Thanks so much.

Hi all,

Very informative forum. A fellow singaporean as well, and looking to venture out (to Canada) and hope to exchange pointers with all.

I am also trying to do the application myself rather than hiring an agent. Quite a hefty price to pay for the agents, don't you think?

Just checking if anyone knows, under 'Education' it mentioned that we need to count the years from secondary education onwards. By that, does it mean Secondary 1 (13 years old) onwards, or does it mean Primary 1 (7 years old) onward? Because if I were to use secondary 1 (13 years old), there is no way i can hit the minimum of 12 years AND 1 year diploma that gives me 12 points. The only option i have now is the secondary education that gives me 5 points only, although i went through poly and university which only adds up to 10 years. (sec 1 to university)

Any advice fellows? Thanks...

Thanks to all who have replied.

So, for people who have applied successfully, I am most concerned about the proof of cost of maintenance... Is there anyway to ensure I can meet the min amount? I don't think I have that much savings to show.

And from what I checked, I thought the processing had shortened recently?

mdbrown,

CIC is so informative that it is like MacDonald's. Just look up the menu and select your value meal. Follow the instructions to the letter. If you are not sure, call the call centre for help. You may be put on hold a long  time.

I took another route. I am the the pioneer for my family. I am on CEC, Canadian Experience Class. I to a 2 year post secondary course to equip myself for employment. After 2 years of education (4 semesters) they would award you a Post Graduate Work Permit for 2 or 3 years. Then after getting employment, I will apply for CEC and wait 14 months. 12 to accumulate the required 12 months of employment. You must be employed in NOC 0, A or B jobs. 0XXX, X1XX or X2XX classifications.

See here. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC … atrix.html

This gives you time to integrate, find a job according to their job climate. When your family comes, you brief them what to do, how to do it etc.

It will be tough on the single who comes here. If you can take the psychological beating and champion it, you can be the one. Preferable the spouse who is not earning the most money in Singapore and in a need to study.

Studies is not cheap. it will cost you 6K CAD per semester. But after working, you can claim back about 4K our of the 8K tax you need to pay a year for 2 years.

The times needed to do this project.

Study, 16 months - 4 semesters - Singapore chiong style with no summer breaks.
Get open work permit - 3 months - currently 78 days wait after graduations.
Get job - depends on individual and industry
Apply CEC - 14 months considering no hiccups.

Total 33 months as the shortest processing times.

Hi Hana_Ian, welcome, marhaba,

Hana_Ian wrote:

Wow! It is 5 years now? Is it faster by agent or just the same even if you do on your own.

As explained, the only advantage of the agent is to make your file look ''clean'' on other way to look more attractive.

The Canadian Ministery of Immigration explain clearly that all files will be treaten in equity rather using an agent or preparing yours by yourself. so no privilegies if you use an agent.

Hana_Ian wrote:

If 5 years by the time everything approved I would be 42. Will they still employ people at that age?

Hana_Ian , canada it's one of the rare countries that they do not care about age for working. As long as you are going to do your make job and realize the business objective of the company as long as you will be accepted.

That's one of the majestuous thiung in Canada!

Well let's say things are not easy but neither impossible.

According to my experience: it's not a lot of money neither a higher and sophiticated diploma that could make a difference. what will make a difference it's YOUR ATTITUDE, it should be positive, and you have to have a lot of volontee and willing to succeed and in cha Allah everything will be okay.

Welcome again!

macdawn wrote:

Thanks to all who have replied.

So, for people who have applied successfully, I am most concerned about the proof of cost of maintenance... Is there anyway to ensure I can meet the min amount? I don't think I have that much savings to show.

And from what I checked, I thought the processing had shortened recently?

There are families here living on a dual income of the lowest bracket of $36K CAD annually.

If you plan to come to Canada, HDB downgrade is your best option. Take the cash and put it in your bank. Do not take that migration is a painless exercise. It will cost you money, time and psychological battering. Take it as an acid test for your family relations and challenge for yourself.

If you cannot bear the pain, do not. Last thing you want is a broken relationship or being broke when you arrive.

My advice to all who wants to come here. Please visit at least 2 cities for 1 week each. Check out the supermarkets. Check out the housing. If you see some developers selling houses, go in check it out, check out the price etc.

Learn about the school times and semesters for those with children. Make an effort over the weekend to attend Church or a Mosque to network a little to see and ask what people on the ground can give you on living in Canada.

What skills do you need to be in Canada? Not only work but like driving. You need to know how to drive if you do not work in an area with good public transportation. There are no maids, even there is, it is expensive. You must be self sufficient.

This country has great outdoors. Enjoy the land that bears fruit, grain, poultry, cattle, gold, diamonds, oil, wood, etc. Respect what the earth provides and do not abuse.

For those wanting to get here quick with at least a Bachelor degree. Study here for a 1 year Masters post graduate. You will be granted PR immediately after graduation.

You do not need a job offer to get into PR. http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp … STERS.html

This is for Ontario but this is a federal program.

LordAlfa wrote:

There are families here living on a dual income of the lowest bracket of $36K CAD annually.

If you plan to come to Canada, HDB downgrade is your best option. Take the cash and put it in your bank. Do not take that migration is a painless exercise. It will cost you money, time and psychological battering. Take it as an acid test for your family relations and challenge for yourself.

If you cannot bear the pain, do not. Last thing you want is a broken relationship or being broke when you arrive.

Well, I don't have any HDB flat, I am single and not yet 35, so I cannot apply for a flat.

I do not intend to retire in Canada, I just want to work and see more of the world before I return to Singapore. I have worked in the UK and the US, and I was hoping to go back there, but because of the current employment rate in the US and the UK, I am finding it very hard to find a sponsor.

Hence I am looking other options, and Canada seemed like a very nice alternative.

Hey,
I just joined this forum today and saw your query below. Not sure if you still require any advise on this but will share my experience with you. Same situation as you - i m a Singaporean and hubby of 11 years is Canadian.
We submitted my PR application paperwork. About 1 month later, received a letter fm CPC in Missisauga informing my PR application can be processed further and my info would be sent to Canadian High Comm in Singapore for further processing. Thereafter Canadian High Comm in Singapore sent a letter to proceed with the certificate of clearance (COC) fm all countries i resided for at least 6 months. This would be the letter the Singapore police was talking about. At the point of submitting your paperwork for PR, you do not need to provide the certificate of clearance until your application has been reviewed.
Hope this helps. Cheers!

nennahchong wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my paperwork to apply for Canadian PR (I'm Singaporean and my hubby is Canadian). A required supporting document is a letter/certificate from the police that I don't have a criminal record.

The problem is, the police said I need an official request letter from the Canadian High Commission for the police certificate of clearance. But the CHC said it will only issue this official letter after it has received and reviewed my PR application (which will be incomplete without the police certificate).

Has anyone encountered such a problem before? Would look forward to any suggestion/advice on how I can get about this situation.

Thanks!

Hi I am planing to move Toronto by 2012 March / April. I would like to know about rental flats and job opportunity @ Toronto.

Please help

Best Regards

kkn9402 wrote:

Hi I am planing to move Toronto by 2012 March / April. I would like to know about rental flats and job opportunity @ Toronto.

Please help

Best Regards

You want to rent a room in a condo or rent a room in a house ? You can check out in kijiji.ca or realtor.ca

I agree with nobitamiao with regards to professional experience, you will need to start from scratch. You will need to work as volunteer to gain the canadian experience lest you are working for a very large multi-international company where you can apply for internal transfer.

You can try to find jobs in monster.ca, theladders.ca

Cheers
Gabriel

YSF wrote:

Hey,
I just joined this forum today and saw your query below. Not sure if you still require any advise on this but will share my experience with you. Same situation as you - i m a Singaporean and hubby of 11 years is Canadian.
We submitted my PR application paperwork. About 1 month later, received a letter fm CPC in Missisauga informing my PR application can be processed further and my info would be sent to Canadian High Comm in Singapore for further processing. Thereafter Canadian High Comm in Singapore sent a letter to proceed with the certificate of clearance (COC) fm all countries i resided for at least 6 months. This would be the letter the Singapore police was talking about. At the point of submitting your paperwork for PR, you do not need to provide the certificate of clearance until your application has been reviewed.
Hope this helps. Cheers!

Hi YSF, just wondering how long did your application take? And when was it filed? My fiancee that is about to return to Canada and looking to sponsor me.. but the estimated waiting time of 22 months at the SG processing centre is really daunting :|

Thanks in advance and have a blessed new year to everyone here!

Hi everyone,
Just stumble into this blogs while searching for information on canada migration.
I am not a Singaporean, only a PR. I am in need to migrate to Canada badly. I checked the skilled worker scheme and found out that the cap of my job category has already been reached in 2011 ( I am in category of Biologist and related scientists).
So I have to wait until July 2012 t know whether my profession is still in the demand list?
I am married with currently no kid. I have relatives living in Calgary, Alberta.
I checked the Canada Immigration website and saw that there quite quite a lot of documents I need to fill up and furnish. The problem is my wife and I both are having full-time job so we do not have much time to dedicate to finish all the document.
Can you guy suggest whether I should engage an agent to do my application procedure? Can anyone please kindly tell me good and reliable agents in Singpore, who can help me in the process. A quick search on google didn't show up any promising canada migration agencies in Singapore.
I really wanna migrate to canada badly. I am looking forward to your replies. Thanks

Same thought as you in the past. I felt that i have written too much in the forum and decided to cancel my story. U can email me for further understanding.take care

LordAlfa wrote:

For those wanting to get here quick with at least a Bachelor degree. Study here for a 1 year Masters post graduate. You will be granted PR immediately after graduation.

You do not need a job offer to get into PR. http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp … STERS.html

This is for Ontario but this is a federal program.

Hey lordalfa!
Really? You can get PR by just studying for a masters over there? Does this apply for vancouver as well?
Btw cic website says that you need to have a job offer before you can apply for immigration..

Hi everyone, I hope this thread is still active..
Well, anyway, I am quite confuse over the procedures needed to migrate to canada.
1) Is it possible to apply for canada PR without any job offers over there? I read on cic website that to immigrate, a professional needs to have a job offer.
2) Does knowing french helps in your PR application? If so, what kind of french qualification do the authorities recognize? 
3) I read somewhere before that there is a minimum amount of savings to declare in your PR application. So what is that amount, and are there any more requirements in this PR application?

I am really keen to migrate over there and hope you guys can enlighten me on this PR application issue.

Thanks!

Hi everyone

My husband is a canadian and is currently sponsoring me through the family class. We have 2 kids, who are holding 2 citizenship now.

I have submitted my COC and just sent in my application for something to RCMP today.

Does anybody know how long the process takes after this ?

My husband is currently in Barrie ontario, working on min wages. We intend to join him soon, but I am very worried after hearing that Canada does not recognize education from other countries and jobs opportunities are limited there.

I hold a degree in accounting and have been in the finance profession for 10 years..really worried.

I also heard from my husband that ontario have the learner's driver's licence regulations where you cant drive without a driver by your side within the first year after obtaining your licence. I have a singapore driving licence but have not really driven so they may not recognise it.

This is another problem.

Does anybody know about these ?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

im here to ask if there's any singaporean doctor practising in canada here? Ill love to hear about your experience thanks =)