Security and general life in Sfax

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Tunisia in the near future and have the possibility of a job teaching english in Sfax, the second city of Tunisia southeast of Tunis. I just want to gather any general opinions on the security situation in Tunisia and in Sfax specifically and, if anyone has been there, what the area is like more generally. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Will.

Hi Will!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

Hi Will

Im ahmed from bizerta, im working in sfax for 5 years, ill be glad to help u with some information.
Well, its a quiet calm secure place and i mean it, u can work here without any troubles.its a little close to european kind of cities, crowded streets, restaurants and caffes all over...but one thing i didnt like in sfax is that there is no places to have fun and liberate some negative energy except caffes and of course its boring to sit there every day. The closest u live to the center of the city the best u can get a better homing. But the best place for me to live is Nasria cause u will be so close from every service.in general, its very secure honestly and a place to work. People there go to mehdia (80 km far) to spend good times and have fun or even to swim in the sea cause sfax beaches r not good to swim in. Other than that u r very welcomed here really u will find it a warm place to live and work. Ohh talking about warm, sfax weather is 80% of the year warm to not say hot.
Hope i helped u a little. If u need something else just ask :)

Hi Ahmed,

Thank you very much for your response! Very informative and reassuring. I think I will be coming to Sfax to start work as an english teacher at Omda school in November. Very exiting, and the weather sounds great, its a very different story here in England. If I have any more questions I will post them on here, Thanks again :)

Hi Will
You are welcome and i will be glad to help you here and answer any question.

I live in Kerkennah an island 12 miles across rom Sfax,just to say traffic is dreadful and I mean dreadful.The people though are wonderful,I have had people jump in the car when asked for directions to show me the way,I driving expect the unexpected, going the wrong way is normal etc.
Hope you enjoy working here as it is fun,

Hi

Yep, its true lol, sometimes dealing with people is really wierd but funny yeah, try to deal with it normally. You will find diffrent habits and culture here, especially when you drive and people jump in front of you all along the road. dont worry its a habit that they use the road to walk more than the road side. Anyways every country has its own habits and culture or wouldnt be diffrent lol.

Hello,

Just to know can i move around there speaking to people in English? WIll it be easy for someone who knows only English?

Hi Sidrazi,

Well, finding people who talk english depends on the place and the people around, center town could be the best place but not in always, young students could be a good help, u could use some french words if u r unable to make someone understand u, but in general 50% could speak english. so here two  tips to keep in mind:
1- try to learn few french keywords like numbers, like places u wanna go so people could help u even if they dnt undesrtand eng
2- try to ask "students" youngs they must be able to talk eng better than olders.

Welcome in Tunisia and ill be glad to help with any question.

Hi Sidrazi,

Well, finding people who talk english depends on the place and the people around, center town could be the best place but not in always, young students could be a good help, u could use some french words if u r unable to make someone understand u, but in general 50% could speak english. so here two  tips to keep in mind:
1- try to learn few french keywords like numbers, like places u wanna go so people could help u even if they dnt undesrtand eng
2- try to ask "students" youngs they must be able to talk eng better than olders.

Welcome in Tunisia and ill be glad to help with any question.

Thanks a ton for your reply.

Is it safe to move around there alone (without a local guide)? are people friendly? Any cool places to hangout there...

Regards,
Razi

Ur welcome,

It is safe to move around here. about 90% of the places are so secure, of course there are some districts"hood" that have robbery problems. The only problem u can face is robbery and as i told u only in few places" poor places". But really people are so friendly and warm like the their weather. No one will deny to help u if u ask.
I recommand that u get a friend to hangout with even only for the first days, then when u get used to the places u can do it by ur self...its ok for the local guide too.
There is such a beautiful places here to see, traditional areas, Old Medina, caffees, Sidi Mansour, Mahres,Chaffar, karkena island...but it lacks hotels and beachs entertainments which is not a problem cause u can go to Mahdia 90km from Sfax, its one of the best costal states, cool beaches with white sand, hot weather, Diving centers, Hotels, Clubs...
Ooor, u go to the south to Gabes where u can meet the Desert and the clear sky nights and all the fan could hold...