Living in Cayman but working in US?

Hi all...new to the forum.  Have considered moving to Cayman for about 5 years now, but I am finally getting close to the point in life where my daughter is grown, other responsibilities are dwindling and I want to continue to enjoy the rest of my life where I love.

So, my question is...I currently am employed in the US but work from home remotely.  My company is not even located in the same state as I live so I only have to travel a few times a year to the office or client sites.  I would plan on keeping my current job if this is possible to do in the caribbean? And if my company was to allow it.  However, I wasn't sure how certain things worked like internet access which would be a big deal for me to be able to work from home and even minor things like cell phones.  So, how is internet in Cayman and are there any options for keeping a US phone in Cayman and using an international number like through Google Voice or would I have to get a Cayman phone?  Are there any particular requirements/ rules/ regulations, etc. about living in Cayman, but not working locally?

Lastly, being that I would not need to get a local job, do I need any specific documents still like a work permit if I will not be working for a Cayman company?  Any other documentation needed to be able to reside there and keep my current job?   Thanks!

Yes, the Internet connections here are pretty good. They have to be: Cayman is one of the world's major offshore tax havens. I've no idea about the use of your US phone; your US provider could probably tell you that.

There are plenty of rules about foreigners living in Cayman; they don't make it easy for newcomers. You'd better spend some time on Google - and also check out "New Resident in Cayman", a very informative magazine. Google it, too. For background, you might want to browse my blogsite ["Barlow's Cayman"] Archives for titles that look as though they relate to immigration.

If you've never lived outside your home country you can expect to experience some culture shock. To avoid that, you should come down and stay for a couple of weeks, and see if you like it; maybe hit some of the American drinking spots. Our Immigration Department will answer what questions you have; you can Google them on line, too.

Hey there!
I also work in the US, have had a job with the same company for almost 14 years and got permission from my company to work from the Cayman Islands, effectively becoming the Caribbean trainer, phone and onsite. However...the immigration office in Grand Cayman wouldn't allow me to do so because I didn't make 150k US. It didn't matter that I had a place to live with friends there either. Unless you own property in the amount of 750K CI or 1 Mil US OR make more than the 150K US, you won't be allowed to live there as a resident.
What you CAN do is leave island every 30 days, but they may frown on it after awhile. It was quite the bummer so instead, I took a different position in my company and moved to Sanford, FL. So hi!

Renee

Hi Renee. I recognise the figures you quoted as applying to retirees - BUT maybe they apply to self-employed persons as well. I don't know. My wife and I have lived here for 35 years, so the usual rules don't apply to us. Your experience is clear evidence that the local bureaucrats just plain don't want any more foreigners living here! Hence the social tensions that bedevil us.

Sorry!

Hi Renee!  Nice to hear from you and someone else that lives here with the same interest!  I actually live in Altamonte and my boyfriend lives in Lake Mary so we are very close!

Sorry to hear about the issue with living in Grand Cayman.   I guess that kind of shoots down my plan as well since I only make 1/2 of that $150k requirement.  I assume this is per person right, not per family?

Wonder if there are any other options for us?  I assume you have looked into them to see if there are any other ways around this requirement?  I have heard of plenty of people moving to the island and in particular one blog from this site that I have been enjoying reading goes on about the trials and tribulations of a girl moving from Canada to Cayman.   Based on what she writes about not having a lot of $$, I'm assuming that she does not make $150k a year so I would be interested in finding out how she did it, or any others if they want to chime in.   Since I would plan to hold a residence in Florida still, I guess I could always just leave every 30 days for a "vacation" *wink* and return, even though it would be a hassle.  :P

Hope you are doing well then and plan to either look at another island, another way around or even visit there as much as possible which is what I am trying to do now.   Since you are so close, if you would like to keep in touch as well outside of the blog, feel free to contact me! 

Steffani

Hi Gordon,

You had helped me out when I asked about it last year, so off to Immigration I went. And I agree...they didn't want my money so I went a different route. :)

Steffani,

We ARE super close!! You can email me at [email protected] and I'll respond. It's always cool to meet new people. How funny!

I would think the Canadian girl is working on a permit and was hired after meeting folks there? I don't know if she's already employed from the states or Canada and living in GCI or not.

I visit the islands as much as I can; my yearly trip is coming up AND was told just yesterday I need to book another pretty darn quick for next year :). Ya don't have to twist my arm!

Anyhow, let me know how you end up, I'm interested!
Renee

>Unless you own property in the amount of 750K CI or 1 Mil US OR make more than
>the 150K US

I think these numbers are now 500,000 invested and 120,000 a year of non-Cayman income (for Grand Cayman ... the numbers are significantly lower for Little Cayman and Cayman Brac).  Have any of you done this successfully?

My concern with the 25 year residency permit is that you'll spent two and a half decades living as a Caymanian and have friends there, and as you approach the end of your career and retire (even if you have a paid off 500,000 house) as you decrease your income in retirement that your permit won't be renewed and you'll be forced to leave...

watchingtheweasels wrote:

Have any of you done this successfully? My concern with the 25 year residency permit is that you'll spent two and a half decades living as a Caymanian and have friends there, and as you approach the end of your career and retire (even if you have a paid off 500,000 house) as you decrease your income in retirement that your permit won't be renewed and you'll be forced to leave...

Somebody told me that these rules attracted exactly one retiree - a man (and perhaps a wife too) aged 50 or so, who at the end of his 25 years will be young enough to move on if his deal isn't renewed. Well, the whole initiative was a waste of time and effort. Cayman is a very comfortable place to live, but there is a large expat population - much too large for a vocal minority of the native-born, to whom all politicians are in thrall. So I never recommend it as a place for foreign retirees.

Wise words.