Considering to move to Moscow in the coming few months

HI, i am currently in the US although not originally from here. Considering to move to Moscow in the coming few months as I just received a job offer with an international agency. I came across your blog as i have been wondering how easy/difficult would it be to make friends. I am originally from Tajikistan, which is part of the reason i am nervous about this move. I have heard some real horror stories about racism in Russia and i am sure so has everyone else especially when it comes to Central Asians and Tajiks in particular. So while reading some of the encouraging comments on this blog I wonder if the same advices would apply to someone who is ethnically a Central Asian. I speak fluently both Russian and English and generally do not have any issues with making friends anywhere I go. But I wonder how much role my ethnicity can play on my quality of life in Moscow (my quality of life is quite dependent on who I socialize with and how easy it is to deal with people around me ;) ). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi justwow,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Moscow Forum for more visibility and better interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat.com Team

Dear Justwow

I think you're exaggerating, even in US u can meet rasizm))so that don't worry and don't pay attention for this, just be possitive! come and enjoy)

Best regards
Azat

Hi all-I am in Moscow for over 3 months now and it is all good in here...overall people are nice here...

throughout CIS and Moscow, no difference as such, generally the people are good, yes they have their attitude but as an expat you need not to bother about it

nomi i kuldeep can you know me

sure, but i will be going back in some days, so may we would get acquainted after a while

me too i am also go back too.

hi kuldeep

what you do here, business or job?

I live in Moscow for more than 10 years now. I am not Tajik or Central Asian, but I can say there is racism here. More than anywhere else I've ever been really. But is it a problem for you as an individual? That depends honestly.

If you came here from Tajikistan and you were living together with a group of your countrymen it could be a problem. If you were earning a very low wage and essentially lumped into a certain strata of society it could be a problem for you.

However, if you come here from the US with a decent job then it could be very different for you. Russia remains a very segregated society. All depends on where you fit, or can position yourself, into it.

Random acts of race-related violence do happen. While that alone is disgusting, when looking at statistics it is not likely a reason to avoid coming to Russia. The climate, the traffic, the expense, the hassle, the hardness of it all...these are more concerning reasons!

Good luck.

Hi Stakan,

Thank you for a very helpful response. I suppose it could be the very same in many other countries i.e. being treated differently depending on which segment of society you become part of. I do speak speak Russian fluently and with no accent (that's what I am told anyway) and the job will most likely be a good one. So hopefully that helps me integrate nicely.

I will look into other matters such as climate, expense, traffick etc also before deciding to move, of course. Again, thank you, this was very helpful.

Hi Nomimani,

Thank you very much for your response. You nick sounds Tajik, so it is sort of comforting to hear it from you that things might not be as bad. :) Hopefully, it won't be too difficult to integrate into life in Moscow.

Thank you, Rittish. Good to know!

Hi Azat,

I just have heard quite a few horror stories and am trying to make sure I know what to expect before  accepting the offer. However it is comforting to know that things are not as bad. True, racism happens everywhere. I just haven't had to face it personally anywhere, quite frankly. So if I do come, I will try to come with a positive attitude and open mind, as you are rightly suggesting.

Thank you, Maximilien,

I will take a look at your thread for more in-depth discussion of the topic.

All the best!

well, an event occurred just two days back,not good one, provoking riots against the expats, specially labor work force, the locals were demanding more tightening of the laws for the immigrants, lets see what will happen next. (as per RT), i haven't noticed anything although, if somebody from southern Moscow can comment on it?