What counts as a food stuff for immigration purposes??

I know that strictly speaking, sending/taking food items to Libya is probably against some kind of rules, but what do you think would be permissible/you can get away with?  I am particularly interested in your opinions on the following:

- jars of pesto
- Marmite, Vegemite or similar yeast extract (spread for your toast for non-Anglophiles/Australiophiles)
- seeds (yes, really - to grow herbs, tomatoes, etc. Nothing dodgy)  Also as a side issue, is it possible to procure potting compost or even soil out there?
- tea bags, and even perhaps some UHT milk if local milk not suitable for proper tea making

Any input gratefully received.  I am at that stage of packing where these things are important i.e. too many jobs to do, so off down Tesco's instead :D

You can bring all of that in. Local milk is fine.
The only thing I've heard of someone getting fined for was red wine vinegar! No amount of explanation could persuade the culinary clueless customs man that it wasn't 'red wine' :)

FYI Palm City shop has good selection of teas and even Marmite (but not squeezy marmite :( )

Seeds - yes
Compost/soil - yes

I'd suggest bringing over Maltloaf, adult beverage making kits and walkers crisps. And Pork , if you're a meat eater.

Pesto is available in most shops here so unless you're bringing in a favourite brand I recommend that you use the luggage space for more teabags!!

The customs always get a hard on for any large(ish) glass containers, no matter what's in them

Cheers for all the advice.  Will defo stock up on malt loaf - the kids go nuts for that stuff.

First class - an example of how forums should work in the ideal world!  :D