What to consider before moving to Ulaanbataar?

Hello everyone,

I'm a female Canadian ESL teacher in my mid-thirities, who is seriously considering accepting a position as an English language teacher in Ulaanbataar, Mongolia. I've been doing a little research online about what life is like in such a remote part of the world. I'm used to cold weather (although Toronto is not as cold as many other parts of the country), but I have no idea how the apartments are in Ulaanbataar, what the ex-pat community is like, and how easy/hard is it for a woman living alone in Mongolia, is there a lot of street harassment, or need to wear modest clothing? I would potentially be arriving in January, the coldest month of the year!

Essentially, what are the pro's and con's of living in Mongolia?

thank you in advance,
Li.

Hi Li,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

You can browse through the discussions on the Mongolia forum for more information please :)

Are you looking for accommodation ?

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat.com Team

Hi Maximilien,

In terms of accommodation, the company I am working for has said they would find it for me but I have no idea what a "higher end" one bedroom apartment in UB would look like or what I should expect/request.

Laundry facilities? (Coin laundry in building, for example?)
Do all apartments have full bathrooms?
Utilities?

What's the best part of the city to live in?

Hi there, I am moving there in December, did you get a response about where the best part of  Ulaanbataar?  Kim

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : deleted - requested by the author

Well I'm not really sure what your responding to.  My question was in regards to Ulan Batar and you wrote about Cambodia.

Simply asking about a new town and what to expect..ie..what is a good place to live, what is there to do and just in general the climate etc.

It sounds like you have a bad experience with expats; I'm sorry for that, but please don't include everyone in your dislike for certain "people".  No one is alike and I am far from the person you describe in your post.

Your comment about defending oneself is somewhat ridiculous. A lot can happen in 10 mins IF you can call the police and IF they show up.  Yes you should be able to protect yourself, no doubt about that, but it's also wise to know where your going and be aware of your surroundings.  Relying on the fallacy that the police are there to protect you will get you killed, even here in the States. YOu would be a fool to think otherwise.

I hope in your new place you will find some happiness and peace . Best regards, Kim

UB has all range of apartments, new to old, luxury to basic.  I found apartments marketed as "expat quality" were very expensive - something to consider if you're going to have to pay for it yourself.

The expat community has a fairly active women's group - some of whom are working, most are trailing spouses. 

Shopping is generally good.  Wide variety of groceries and other goods available year round.  Groceries are fairly expensive, prices have gone up a lot in the last few years.

Traffic is pretty bad in UB during morning and evening.  If you live near your work and shopping this may not be a big deal for you.  For getting around on foot, ice and snow are often not cleared from streets and sidewalks.  I normally walked to work all year round - about 30 minutes brisk walk - and lived walking distance to shopping, just need to dress for the weather.

My wife says get used to having to make trips to multiple stores to get what you're looking for.

There is some street harassment, but my wife had more issues with pickpockets than with harassment.  A few expats I work with (men and women) have had been punched or slapped on the rare occasion.  People here are generally friendly and polite.

In the winter in UB, any appropriate clothing is pretty modest :)
In warmer weather, neither expats nor locals seem to be very modest in their dress - especially younger people.  Korean K-pop styles seem to be very popular.

Lees_1977 wrote:

What's the best part of the city to live in?

Hi Lees_1977,

welcome to our country. :D

If you are coming in Mongolia to teach English, you have to live near your workplace. It would be the best option for you because of some things such as traffic jams and the weather. In Mongolia, traffic jams are really difficult to solve. If you live far from your workplace, it could be so hard to go to your job in mornings and to go to your home after 6:00pm.

Apartments which are located in center of UB are not bad. Do not worry about heat water and heating, it is generally good.

Laundry facilities? - it would be better and cheap to clean and wash your clothes by using a washing machine. You can deal with.

Do all apartments have full bathrooms? - Yes. I think it would be no issue to you.

Remember, live near your job - it is the most important thing that you need to concern.

Dont worry about wearing modest clothing during summer. there is no problem with it.

Do not worry too much. Living in UB is not so bad that you imagine. After you live in UB few months, you will know many things and can deal with many problems.

Good luck!

It's fairly common for a "higher end" one bedroom to have a washing machine in the apartment.  Dryer machines are nearly unheard of - most drying is on a line.  I've never seen a coin-op laundry machine or facility anywhere in UB.

Apartments should have either a full bathroom (with tub or possibly shower instead). 

Paying electric, water and heat is a pain - typically these are included in the rent and paid by the landlord.  Cable TV may be your responsibility - SuperV gives a reasonable selection of channels (although never as much as you've actually paid for) and is pretty easy to get installed.