Lima Hotel Recommendations

Hi, I'm considering moving to Peru and in October I'm taking a trip down to Lima.

I've done some research, but I want others opinions on the best hotels for a cheap price range.

I've found two potential hotels:

Kamana Hotel

and

Machu Picchu Suites

Let me know what your opinions are or if you have suggestions for decent hotels that aren't too expensive (probably under $100 per night).

Thank you!

I live in Trujillo and that is about 8 hours north of Lima so I can't be very helpful but I can be a little helpful.....

Just to say,, if your spending anywhere near $100.00 which here is about s/.260.00 [ soles ] your really staying in a Very Fancy and Very Expensive place....

go to ........ booking . com

or

despegar . com

both good for checking Lima with pictures and ratings.....

pistachio

Pistachio...new to Peru blogs. so was wondering about accomodations where you live.  I may be coming from Ecuador to Peru for about 2 months so I be looking for cheaper room, small apartment or house sharing.  Any help would be appreciated.    Bryan

I live in Trujillo.. a major city here in Peru but by US standards it would be considered small and navigable........
It is growing quickly............ and going out of town to the countryside it gets rural very fast............

About 20 km outside Trujillo is a small town called Huanchaco,,,,,,,, it is at the beach and attracts lots of international travelers.............. With,,, a main attraction the beach and lots of youth coming here to Surf.........

You can find many English speakers here and lots of Hostals,,, that are quite inexpensive for lodging........ This would be a good place to start and feel your way around.......

Huanchaco is very Walkable and everything is reach via the shoe leather express....... [ walking ]
Taxis are ALL OVER and you can get around where it is too long to walk without great expense........

You could also Tour for a day Trujillo to understand a bit more of the city.........

I have other suggestions for you to understand Peru in a greater way but if you consider the suggestion presented I think you would get a good feeling of life here ..............

A must is that you visit Cusco...........no matter what,,,,,,,,,, you have to go there and then Rail to Macchu Picchu......

Pistachio

PS............. Huanchaco is very near Trujillo Airport / and it is one hour flight from Lima to Trujillo..............

If you want to see the Coast just for once you can Bus from Lima to Trujillo / about 9 hours / the coast is desert and not particularly scenic but you have to see just once / just to have seen it.........but let me say that the trip even though the buses are excellent / double deck and nice - the trip is grueling.........

You can go at night but you won't see a thing....... so you would take the day trip or if not opt for a flight / 50 minutes......

Pistachio...thanks for the response....Trujiillo sounds more what I  would like.   I want a medium sized town with a variety of restaurants that I can walk to.  I am 67 so the beach doesn't interest me all that much.  I might take your suggestion about a hostel for a week or two but I am looking more for a studio apartment or even a shared house.  Thanks again
    Bryan

Trujillo is very diverse / meaning places that are in good order,,, and Safe.........

There are more places you do not want to be than there are places that are good for you........

ok,,,,,

Two sections of Trujillo that I knowt are very Very good is La Merced and California sections........

Most no one advertises for renting apartments / you have to walk or drive and look for Aquiler signs........ ' for rent '

Food abounds / no probs walking...........

Most apartments are built for families / meaning 3 bedrooms........... going smaller decreases the amount to find dramatically........but,,, if you look,, you will find..........

again, thank you...it sounds about the same as Cuenca. Some places that you just do not go.  I am not timid but I am also not foolish.  I will check out the areas that you suggested but would you have a rough idea of how much a smaller, furnished place would be.  Usually the worst people to ask are people that live there.  They have no reason to check these things out but if you get a chance to ask people that you know, i would greatly appreciate it.
   Bryan

well,, I know a little and I think that the Best you could find for an apartment with one or more bedrooms would be about s/.900  [ divide by 2.77 for $'s ]

If your lucky to fine a Studio it would definitely be less but they are very rare.........

Real Estate for Sale or Rent in Peru has increased a lot over the past few years........Rentors usually want a 6 month commitment and always a security deposit......... you can try to negotiate........

and just sayin,,,,,,,,,, it is unlikely you will find a Frig or Stove when you rent here........

Great.  That gives me a few starting points.  I take that Peru doesn't use US dollars and the exchange rate is USD $1.. equals 2.77 Peruvian.  I will check all this out.
    Bryan

Peru does use the $ as a second currency / for purchases in the 'local' economy,,,, it is the Sole...............s/.

So you think it is best to convert to the Sole for restaurants, bars, stores and the like?

Yes,,,, definitely.....

Conversions are made easily at many locations........... no probs............

The rate fluctuates a bit up or down from 2.77

Best NOT to convert at stores or banks / you get the lowest..........

Little booths at malls or on the streets are ok,,,,,,,

INTERBANK ATM's allow you to use your debit or bank account card for withdrawals / there is a fee and a limit of $400 per transaction and two per day............
this is in addition to any fees YOUR bank hits you with...............

It is the little tips that make life easier.  As a Canadian, I did the exchange thing in Ecuador fro CAD to USD so I have a pretty good grip on it.  The tip about the banks kind of surprised me but thank you.  I don't know if you have a beer but would you know a rough price in a medium bar.  It sounds foolish but I base cost of living on that.  It works for me where ever I have gone.  LOL
    Bryan

I can only guess about the beer but I figure about 4 soles for a bottle of Cusquena............

I can feel that your experience in Cuenta and here will be very similar............

btw / I have never seen CAD's offered at exchange here

I also can say that you may find Trujillo a little less overwhelming than Lima............ and maybe a better economy too......however Trujillo is not small,,,, it is very lively ............growing rapidly and has no lack of anything that is in Lima........... but............ Lima is cool too.........

I am not really a big city guy but I do like a bit of activity and variety.  I have to pretty much travel with USD just to get to Ecuador so CAD will not even come into the picture except at my bank.  I really appreciate all the help that you have given me.  That is how I ended up in Cuenca.  I man there did the same thing and now I am trying to do this myself with only 10 weeks experience.
    Bryan

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.  I broke a vein in my eye and it is very slow healing.  I see they call the Trujiillo air[port an international airport but I can't seem to get there from anyplace but Lima.  Would you know if this is possible?

I really think it will work out in Trujillo.... Peru is easy.........folks are friendly......... the more Spanish you speak the better......... remember,, you can't open a bank account here so prepare to use the ATM's as I have suggested......I think if you spent some time in Huanchaco at inexpensive hotaels and went in and out of Trujillo  a few times to find an apartment you will set things up....... a taxi from Huanchaco to Trujillo / maybe 15-20 s/.  and if you take a combi/bus even less.......