Hey everyone, I guess introducing myself...

The website suggested I introduce myself to the phnom penh masses, and I'm a **** for instructions, so here goes:

My name's Mervin and I just arrived here about two weeks ago. I'm here to teach English and also to be close to family. I have a sister that married a Khmer (or Khmerian? I'm so new I don't even know how to say what they are without being ignorantly offensive) and they have two adorably young daughters. Before this trip, I haven't met my brother-in-law or my nieces other than the Interweb photos (thanks FB for keeping my family closeknit-ish) so I thought to myself, "Hey, I got nothing really going on here in Amerikuh, why don't I just hop over and see some important people in my life?" So here I am, getting settled and trying to figure *** out, like how to make a living, how to open a bank account, basically trying to exist in this ball-busting vacuum of fun-sanity called phnom penh. Before you option the movie rights, (who wouldn't want to watch the asian male version of Eat Pray Love, amiright?) I have traveled pretty extensively before this and can handle myself in other countries, which is more than what I can say for my fellow countrymen. But still, living here is much, much different.

Anyways, I could use some interactions that doesn't include holding up shiny things and spouting gibberish while grinning wildly (been babysitting alot). Don't get me wrong, I love my nieces but it's also nice to have drinks and conversate with people that can form full sentences, or any sentences for that matter.

So there you are, me in a nutshell. Feel free to respond or send me a message here, all are welcome.

Hello mervinwchin.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Hope you'll get new acquaintances from here!

Thanks.

Karen :)

Hey Karen,

Thanks, just hope you're a real person and not some auto-reply bot. Whoa, just realized how jaded I sound. Gonna listen to "We Are The World" on repeat and hope that helps my life outlook.

Thanks, Mervin

Hi Mervin, I teach too, have been here a month, live in Toul Kork, always up for a beer and chat. There I another teacher who live in my building and works at the same school so just let us know when you are up for a beer. I can likely convince him to join us.
Barry

Glad someone hasresponded . PP ISNT exactly a very well connected place if u are just seeing this site ! Lol  in the Beginning.... Good to hear you landed safely Mervin  just note that oct 3,4, 5,  are holidays here ... blessings from an ancient Canadian !

Hey Acadian,

A beer sounds great, and the more the merrier.  Maybe something after the holidays because I'll be going out of town.  Maybe next week then?

Hey Wimbleton,

Thanks for the greetings, and hope you have a good holidays!

Cheers, Merv