Seeking Advice & Information

Good day..

I am writing from India and want to understand the situation for Indians in Athens and Piraeus. There is a very good job opportunity for me in Greece. But I have researched a lot about violence against blacks. So i want to understand, is this real or exaggerated. How is the situation in Athens now. Is it a safe for Indians and their families. Are there any Do's & Don'ts for Indians.

Regards,
Indian.

Hello indianingreece.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Your message is now on the Athens Forum for better interaction and more visibility.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Hi,
The situation is quite normal as in most european cities. There is always a chance you will get a strange look or hear some bad language from idiots.

Of course, it is not as good it used to be some years ago, due to the economic crisis.There is a rise to racism but not the level that the media say so.But there is.

If you look for a nice suburb, things will be ok.Try to avoid the center of Athens. But in any case, do some research.

Hope i helped

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I highly appreciate your advice, How about Piraeus and Glyfada. Are these areas also affected or one can be comfortable in the above two areas.

Any problems for Indians or Expats in general, if you can advice.

Regards.

Hi,

Unfortunately Piraeus is not like it used to be,it seems like an abandoned place nowadays but still you can feel its beauty.Glyfada always has been a wonderful suburb to live especially for families and a very expensive one.

The media over-exaggerate things,you will not face any problems.
Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable advise, it is really helpful. Can you please advise are there any problems in Piraeus.

I have read about some problems near Piraeus. Is that place far from the main area.

can you please also advise if there is any Do's and Don'ts.

Regards.

hi you asked about Pireas,well,as you probably know that is where the slaughter of a Greek man by Golden Dawn took place,or very near there,Keratzini. I am in Egaleo,away from Pireas and the centre of Athens and people here mix well with people from India and theres never any trouble for them,of course they tend to keep a low profile and stay in their homes with their families at night.Glyfada is nice but expensive,I imagine no trouble for you there.It depends where your job is as all travel tickets are to increase soon.No one bothers anyone around my streets,that I know of.

hi.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Hi,
The above posts said it pretty well. If you can afford to live in Glyfada, i highly suggest it.

I am not too fond of Piraeus but it always comes to the personal taste.

No specific do's and dont's

hi,
as the other member said before, GLYFADA is the best area for you and your family to Live.
There will be people, which be booking at you in a strange way, but this is something you will see in many places.
People with families, which Live in a propper way, will not face problems.
Avoid the center in the night. It is the same for all of us nomatter white, black, or chinese.
if you need further Info, contact me
Best regards to you and your family
Anna