Daunted by the prospect of Benghazi.

I am moving to Benghazi from Tripoli, but the lack of info on the net & the less than complimentary postings are dampening my enthusiasm. Can there only be 20 expats Brits in the city?
Regardless, I am determined to make the best of it & would appreciate info on social gatherings, dinner clubs, book clubs, gyms.... anything to make life more palatable or hopefully even enjoyable.  Really appreciate your assistance.

I arrived in Benghazi last week. My partner has been here for 14 months already but he's never really mentioned any social clubs although I'm sure there must be something out there. I can't offer any help or advice but would love to tag on to this thread and second your plea for information from other expats in Benghazi! I know there must be some!

Benghazi boy wrote:

I am moving to Benghazi from Tripoli, but the lack of info on the net & the less than complimentary postings are dampening my enthusiasm. Can there only be 20 expats Brits in the city?
Regardless, I am determined to make the best of it & would appreciate info on social gatherings, dinner clubs, book clubs, gyms.... anything to make life more palatable or hopefully even enjoyable.  Really appreciate your assistance.

Look on the bright side, soon there'll be 21 expat Brits :)

There is/was a Hash at Benghazi, in fact I think it's older than the one in Tripoli. Have a look here:

Benghazi Hash House Harriers

Some of the contacts might have moved on, but they can probably point you in the right direction.

You don't need to be a particularly keen runner or drinker for the hash & it's a good way to meet other expats.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, especially the Hash contact. 

At the end of the day be there 20,21 or 200 expats it's Benghazi & I am getting paid to go.

Notwithstanding, if I can get someone to help me put some stockings on that "pig" & with some nice candle light...... it's really just a matter of perspective & perhaps alchahol.

Keep the info coming please.

Solidarity, Benghazi people!  I too am not there yet, but boy, when i am I will put all the info on the web :D  I understand there is a golf club which rates a :rolleyes:, the sailing club is a :(, but the beaches are a big :) - any info on which are the best/ most secluded???  The British School must be a good source of info/contacts and my children will be there in Sept, so not long to wait for that input! 

There is a Costa Coffee, and the Corniche (the road by the beach) has, I understand, bike hire and a cafe with a mini-soft play area - this all second hand info.  Don't forget there is also the zoo. 

Seriously though I think the real draw will be the beaches, and the climate, (and the cash)

Keep us posted and I will do likewise.  Best wishes