Leaving Puerto Lopez

Hi all, i am sadly leaving Lopez, I've spent the last 6 months here and it been a great experience, being volunteering, teaching English and from time to time working for a travel agency as translator. Meet really nice people both local and foreigners.
If anyone needs any info about volunteering or anything in Lopez let me know.
Also if anyone is moving to Lopez or around, i would give away an old moped i used to go around.
And i would leave my apartment by this month, if anyone interested i said the owner i would help getting someone in, as they were also really helpful with me, in front of the sea, with all facilities.
I am off now to my last whale watching tour :-(

---
many asking for info:
http://quito.es.craigslist.org/apa/4323875840.html

How were you able to stay for six months?

How much is the rent.

I am interested.

Judy

Hey Judee, i did some collaborations and meet lots of beautiful people, the question is how am i gonna be able to leave?

There is an small apartment which i think is $250 and the big one upstairs which has great ocean views in which i am paying $400
I'll ask them again

Hello!

For all those proposing accomodation offers or looking for accomodation, i would suggest you to consult the Housing in Ecuador section. It might help.

Thanks.
Karen,
Expat.com Team.

P.S: Please note that free ads are not allowed on the forum.

Maella Mar wrote:

Hi all, i am sadly leaving Lopez, I've spent the last 6 months here and it been a great experience, being volunteering, teaching English and from time to time working for a travel agency as translator. Meet really nice people both local and foreigners.
If anyone needs any info about volunteering or anything in Lopez let me know.
Also if anyone is moving to Lopez or around, i would give away an old moped i used to go around.
And i would leave my apartment by this month, if anyone interested i said the owner i would help getting someone in, as they were also really helpful with me, in front of the sea, with all facilities.
I am off now to my last whale watching tour :-(

Hi Maella, can you brief me on what you liked so much about Puerto Lopez? What's the humidity like?
Cheers!
James

Hey James, its a small fishing town and it's just what i wanted avoiding big cities, but not too small, you can find mostly everything here, and if you could not, you can reach Manta 2 hours north and Libertad/Salinas 2 hours south.

Puerto Lopez is part (is inside) of the national park Machalilla, you have the whale watching season, the manta ray in nearly all their types, bird watching in Agua Blanca, one of the best beaches in Ecuador, 'Los Frailes' national park...

Its quite a laid back place, so its their people...
You could get a bike and ride opposite direction from the sea 10 minutes and you find yourself in the forest.

I just bought a huge fish at the market for $2, a pound of meet $2.
Huge shrimps $3/pound, lobster is just $5/pound!!!

It has its problems, its dusty, their little motorbikes are quite noisy, and there is not much choice on music, but that's part of the game

Hey Maella, for some crazy reason, I thought you were Spanish, (from Spain), i just checked your profile to confirm and see your a Scot! Wow. So how's your Spanish? Fluent? Is there surfing too?
What's the humidity like? Can you elaborate on that a bit?

Did you ever experience any threats? Were you feeling 'safe' in all situations?
Cheers!
James

I am Spanish, i just change it.

I don't feel any more the humidity, you get used to it in a while. But when i got here i remember it was not such a problem, maybe a pair of months between hot and rainy season it's uncomfortable, but that's it, nothing like south-east Asia...

You got great surfing in Olon or Montanita also heard about Canoa but dunno, i don't surf, i prefer staying under water.

Puerto Lopez its quite safe, nothing like Guayaquil, that's also one of the reason i choose Lopez, one of the safest in Ecuador.

Hey, thanks for the quick answers. I'm going to take a closer look at Lopez. When i lived in Costa Rica, I used to jump a small plane to the Pacific coast, almost every weekend, just to get out of the big city. I was right at home with the dirt roads that turned to greasy mud with each rainfall...and the beach was so lovely, beyond words really..just like you describe too. The thing that bugged me was the humidity, after a rainfall (every night like clock-work) my body was drenched just standing still in my hotel room. AC didn't help.
Thanks for the answers. I might have some more questions, if you don't mind. Maybe I should PM you, although i'm sure others would like to read your answers too.
Cheers!
James

Wish I were ready to leave now. It is good to know that apartments are such a reasonable price. What kind of volunteer work did you do? I am a retired nurse but also love to teach. Am working on my Spanish. I know French so it is not that difficult. Puerto Lopez sounds really the kind of place I am looking for as you describe it.Why are you leaving? visa issues? Have done lots of research and it is a bit complicated but not impossible to get resident visa.

Sue

Interesting article on Puerto Lopez. It reminds me a bit of Tamarindo, CR (but without the surfing)

volunteeringecuador.info/travel/puerto-lopez-silvie-wallington.html

i just did a Google search on Puerto Lopez, and clicked 'images'.. wow.  I think i found my next home. I just hung a 'sold sign' on my dream location.

Thanks Maella,
James

No way.... lol.

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh6rBjhmgVo92laEp9KVQLMD_LNKrsOv4gy6U1tk67wr26i_b13w

Now I understand why you don't want to leave Puerto Lopez... look at this place!

hosterialamesondelquijote.com/en/hospedajes/

Is there need for volunteers doing health/wellness care or with women and children?

I got this PM, i thought would be better to post it public:

I was wondering if you could give me a woman's perspective on life there.

I asked my girlfriend and told me there is no big issued other than cosmetics and beauty stuff, security is not a problem at all.

@ suefrankdahl: i am sure they need some help, but i am not sure if there is and organization that arrange something, you may need to find it by yourself. i will ask.

thanks

Hi Maella
   Is your moped still available? I am going to be here in Pto Lopez for awhile. You can find me at Hosteria Mandala.
Thanks Jill Sare

Hi!  Are the apartment & moped still available?  I am interested in both!  Planning to come to Ecuador -- only thing delaying me is confirming oceanfront place to live.  I am interested in (1) the larger apartment for minimum 6 months; (2) moped; (3) taking your place teaching English and possible other volunteering.  please let me know ASAP?!

A lot are asking, so;
quito.es.craigslist.org/apa/4071046956.html

I don't want to be negative, but Puerto Lopez was my least favorite place on the coast. OK, that's an exaggeration, Manta was worse, but Puerto Lopez was a pretty nasty and exploitative place. The dust I didn't mind so much, but the canal of garbage and sewage, the rotting fish on the beach, the brothels (night clubs) on the edge of town, the real estate sharks, and the packs of stray dogs all made for a pretty negative experience. I can think of a half dozen little beach towns are way nicer. Check out Canoa, Mompiche, Olon, and Ayampe. Those were my favorite spots on the coast. They're all smaller that PL, but they're much more clean, safe, and beautiful.

Wow! what a review!

The brothels are in each town you mention, maybe Ayampe is an exception, but i doubt it, they may be more discreet, from what i know there are brothels all around Ecuador, its not that its illegal but police like it.

From the place you mention i would choose Olon, beautiful beach, really clean town, and quite secure, the problem for me is the same as in Ayampe, you need to travel to do anything other than surf or to buy anything other than rice or fish.

Canoa and Mompiche are really nice too, but far too dangerous for me, it's quite important to not get crazy looking around each time you get out in the evening, security is the main point for me when choosing a place to live, I would not live in any place in the cost north from Puerto Cayo.

I think all places have their problems, but some people adapt better to some of them.

By the way, since the ATC Proyect (protected touristic area) declared two months ago there is many changes, no rotten fish at the beach, the cleaned really often now.
Correa just allocated $66 million to build the new malecon, build sewer system and many things.

Real estate sharks its something you gotta live with, but with this ATP they making it hard for them, since ATP it was declared as its gonna be a great change to the town the forbade selling/buying property until they get a ATP office that reviews all transactions to avoid that.
Also they prohibited building more than one floor construction at first line on the beach.

Oh last week they inaugurate the new beautiful market, this old:
eldiario.ec/noticias-manabi-ecuador/281440-puerto-lopez-tendra-nuevo-mercado-en-el-aniversario-civico/

Puerto Lopez its still dusty.

Maella Mar wrote:

Wow! what a review!

The brothels are in each town you mention, maybe Ayampe is an exception, but i doubt it, they may be more discreet, from what i know there are brothels all around Ecuador, its not that its illegal but police like it.

From the place you mention i would choose Olon, beautiful beach, really clean town, and quite secure, the problem for me is the same as in Ayampe, you need to travel to do anything other than surf or to buy anything other than rice or fish.

Canoa and Mompiche are really nice too, but far too dangerous for me, it's quite important to not get crazy looking around each time you get out in the evening, security is the main point for me when choosing a place to live, I would not live in any place in the cost north from Puerto Cayo.

I think all places have their problems, but some people adapt better to some of them.

By the way, since the ATC Proyect (protected touristic area) declared two months ago there is many changes, no rotten fish at the beach, the cleaned really often now.
Correa just allocated $66 million to build the new malecon, build sewer system and many things.

Real estate sharks its something you gotta live with, but with this ATP they making it hard for them, since ATP it was declared as its gonna be a great change to the town the forbade selling/buying property until they get a ATP office that reviews all transactions to avoid that.
Also they prohibited building more than one floor construction at first line on the beach.

Oh last week they inaugurate the new beautiful market, this old:
eldiario.ec/noticias-manabi-ecuador/281440-puerto-lopez-tendra-nuevo-mercado-en-el-aniversario-civico/

Puerto Lopez its still dusty.

OK, so this is totally rumor, and may very well be BS, but one of my Ecuadorian friends told me there were three murders in Puerto Lopez last year.

I didn't notice the brothels in the other towns, but I don't doubt they exist. It's good to hear PL is cleaning up. The place has so much potential.

Hello,
My name is Greg and my wife and I are about to go to Lopez and start building on land we have.  I am interested in an apartment for the building duration and also interested in the moped.  please keep us in mind as we can use some transportation.
Thank you,
Greg

Sure Greg, just sent you PM

I also sent you a PM Peter, thanks!

Are you still at Pto Lopez? How is doing? Is still dusty? Is the Municipality installing pipes for the water service?

When i left they were finishing the pipe lines, they already got water 2-3 hour per day.
The new market is finish and the park nearly.
The new city council and the new bus terminal are on progress.
The new malecon (promenade) will start next month, or they say.
Lots of changes in Lopez

I am here in Puerto Lopez and would really love to have your moped. If you are still around it would be great to have a cup of coffee with you.  I am in the process of buy a couple of lots and hope to start building after the probition is lifted which i hear will be 11/16/2013.  my cell 0968531815 i am staying at the Alcazaba Lodge up on the hill behind the new mercado.

The Columbian wrote:

I am here in Puerto Lopez and would really love to have your moped. If you are still around it would be great to have a cup of coffee with you.  I am in the process of buy a couple of lots and hope to start building after the probition is lifted which i hear will be 11/16/2013.  my cell 0968531815 i am staying at the Alcazaba Lodge up on the hill behind the new mercado.

Thank you Maella!
Hello Columbian, no one can build anything now?

Maybe if you ask at the Municipality they can answer.

Where are the lots that you want to buy? Please be sure the paperwork is correct and complete.

Very important:

-Escritura.

-Certificado Registro de la Propiedad (Properties registration certificate)

-Recibo de pago Impuesto Predial año 2013 (is the tax that we pay every year) If they dont have it, could means they dont have legal tittle.

-Certificado de NO Gravamen (No mortgage certificate, someone can try to sell something that has prohibition to sell because has mortgage)

If you dont speak spanish, I will suggest you write down your question and ask them to write down the answer so you can translate it in home or you post it here an I can translate it.

For example:
Puedo sacar permiso de construcción?
Cuándo puedo sacar permiso de construcción?

Good morning, from Puerto Lopez not sure if you got my last reply but I am really intrested in giving your motor bike a new home.  I am staying at the Alcazaba Lodge up on the hill behind and to the north of the new mercado.  my cell is 0968531815 hope we could have a cup of coffee together before you leave.  Thanks

my email is [email protected]

Hi, I am not longer in Lopez, about the moped they got it now but i don't know if they are selling it, last month they did, you have the contact here:

quito.es.craigslist.org/apa/4071046956.html

Its on the beach, just beside to Nantu Hosteria, it is called Paella Mar:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R … vince.html

That where i was living, don't worry just pass by and ask, they are really friendly.
Good luck!
----------------------
MariaPia, Puerto Lopez has been declared ATP, protected turistic area, so until November that they open the ATP ofice, the registro municipal its close, no property can be sell, no construction can be done and many more things:

turismo.gob.ec/puerto-lopez-declarada-area-turistica-protegida/

Thanks for your reply yes, i have been working with locals and have been to municipal and they are telling me as of last week that it will be the 16th of November that I can complete the purchase of land.  I have a contract to promise to buy and sell with each of the lots.  They have been registared with the municipal so they can not be sold i had some help from local attorney writing up the promise to buy and sell.  I also had the attorney that i am using for my visas in Manta to look it over and he blessed it also.

I need to run will check in later today.

Thanks

The lots are up the hill behind the Italino's home.

Hello,
Im looking for an apt, furnished, utilities, wifi (decent conex) Something to too little, I like to be able to cook in home for my husband, refrigerator for something extra than drinks, etc.
If someone knows somthing please let me know.
Columbian, how your purchase is doing? I need an electrical engineer, there is someone that can you recomend?

Good morning as of last Friday they will not be able to transfer the properties into new names Monday the 18th we Hearing it is another 10 to 15 days but the probation will be lifted this month. I'm currently buying building materials mainly wood and storing them on one piece of property where I have electricity and fresh water and septic systems already in place.  I will be using that piece of property as a staging area for my building materials and will be building on two higher Lots all within the same block. I have the person who will be doing on my electrical work on the two homes I do not have his contact information with me this time but I will reply again  to this post with his  name and cell phone number he is also the electrician who did all the work in the hostel that I'm staying at his work is very clean and nicely done electrical work all wires color coded properly. In regards to places to stay I don't know any furnished apartments at this time I would strongly recommend trying to stay away from the downtown area due to excessive noise and traffic. there is a lot of work being done in Puerto Lopez and that is the main reason why I am purchasing the property here in this town.

Well Monday morning the gave the news 4-6 months more on the prohibition.  Blew me away, I am looking at different options to justify me staying for several more months before I can start building on my lots.  When are you going to be back in PL as there is a furnished apt that will be open after the new year and I can connect you to the electrician he lives on first street north of the store "Tia" and his wife has a ice cream shop on North side of street.

Wow! 4 months more? Im in Puerto L with my husband, we need a bigger apt so, I will like to check what is available. We want to build too, the constructor said is not a problem start building without the license, or permission, he said just we pay the fne and keep building. I dont hink is that easy.
This electrician, has a sign in his house or something?

I am on a learning curve things are very different in Ecuador.   This morning the Nortary Att told me light is now green we can move forward then just before lunch I am leaving his office and he tells me " we are back to 4-6 months.  The husband of the family that owns the hostel tells me " let talk to municipal " I spend 3 hours there and walk out with all doc I need to go to jihipihapa to have there Notary Esq sign off I come back to Registar here in PL pay balance to land owners and pay transfer fees and the 3 lots are in my name.  I really trust the husband when he tells me "100 percent sure this will work as he cousulted with high level people in Municipal". I will keep you posted my cell is 0968531815 my name is Marc Bautista . I hate emails when trying to communicate .  Take care.

Hello everyone!
There is a small apt for rent available at Puerto Lopez. Ocean front, wifi, all utilities include for $250 monthly.
If someone is interest please check it here:

http://puertolopez.olx.com.ec/apartment-for-rent-ocean-view-puerto-lopez-iid-569071852

BTW, the landlord speaks english.

Hi, I am looking to contact an old friend, Neptina...used to live in Lopez, has a 19 year old son Samuel...Anyone here from Lopez can help me get in touch with her, or let her know that Sam is trying to contact (and has lost her number), so she can get in touch with me?