We are thinking of a possible retiring in Israel

I have been to Israel several times (for college, kibbutz, family) but my husband has been there less.  We are thinking of retiring there.  I agree, you need to be in Israel a while to get a sense of the everyday life before you contemplate making Aliyah.  In fact, you can consider such an extended visit as step 1 in your move. It is a significant change, physically and mentally, especially as we age.  Although it may be obvious, there's a different psyche there, different physical environment, different social life, etc.  If you're like me, you want to know how to find out what it's like to find a plumber, to rent an apartment, how to buy a car, how to figure out you really want to live.  An extended visit will help you answer these questions.
I'm also looking for guidance about making Aliyah during retirement and would appreciate any practical experience people can offer who have already made Aliyah in retirement from the U.S.

Hi dreamcai,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Israel Forum :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

I am neither retired nor from the United States but I can suggest abandoning the American notion of retirement and adopting an Israeli perspective.  Retired Israelis are more often than not surrounded by family and friends.  Being with family is more important than finding the right condo in Florida.

Assuming most of your family is in the United States, you will be more like the New Yorker in Florida than the Israeli in Haifa.  Care must be taken to retire without retreating.

Thanks but we have family in Israel and Israel to us isn't Florida.  I guess I'm wondering why you feel this way.  Do you know retirees who have made Aliyah who are disappointed. If so, do you know why the were disappointed?  I lived in Israel for a while when I was younger and have wanted to return.