Jobs that don't require fluency (yet) in Malay and Chinese?

Hi guys, glad I found this place and big hi from the UK!

I'm a Malaysian who's finally moving back to Ipoh after yonks abroad after getting a job back home. My British husband and 9 month old son are coming with me.

As we are both experienced martial arts instructors, the husband plans to open a kung fu school in Ipoh, but until he gets the business off the ground and a large enough client base, will need to find something else to do in the meantime.

Does anyone know what kinds of jobs would be available to a British who hasn't yet learned the local languages? Unfortunately, he has no qualifications, no GCSEs. However, he's a great people person, and can talk the hind legs off a donkey. Trust me, I know!

He has experience working as a bartender and a commercial window cleaner (currently he cleans the highrises around Docklands), but not sure if there's much call for either in Ipoh?

Any advice anyone can offer will be much appreciated.  :-)

Oh, and I'm sure he'll appreciate meeting fellow Brits and Westerners out there. I can imagine he'll be pretty homesick, so do feel free to connect!

Hi jingersnap,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Thank you for the introduction !

I suggest you post your resume in the Hotel, catering, bar, restaurant and tourism jobs in Ipoh section please as it might help :)

Best wishes

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thanks so much for the link! Will do that!

Hi the good news you can get a ltsvp and with that technically he can do non expat jobs. Bad news is it is generally not well known and expats are expected to be well educated. Maybe a marketing job? But in malaysia no degree is a big deal. Education is considered so important I suggest you never mention it to no one as people will look down on both of you. Basically own business sounds best route and focus on that. Try fitness and personal training as well and as instructor for schools maybe?

That's the plan, applying for an LTSVP. But again, his lack of qualifications will be a problem. Wish he'd at least gotten his GCSEs. Would've made life much easier. We are going the own business route too but again, until he's built up enough of a client base,has to do something else in the meantime. I'll be teaching at an international school so hopefully he can start a CCA club to get his instructor career started.

Can I make a suggestion that your hubby joins the Ipoh Hash House Harriers when you arrive?  If you haven't heard about the HHH - its basically a social club where one of the aspects is a weekly run, planned by a member (hare) and the rest pick their way through the terrain following the trail.  Afterwards there is food and beer. There are other events with clubs around Malaysia.

It could be a way to get to know lots of local people and the local surroundings too as the runs are in jungle terrain. Networking is usually the best way to find work or be known.

http://www.ipoh3h.blogspot.com/http://malaysiahash.org/malaysiahash/ma … ml#anchor4

Suggest hubby takes a look at this write-up about the 75th anniversary of the founding of HHH - which was in Malaysia - no less:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Fea … -bash.aspx

Please allow me to provide input as a local.

I dont mean to belittle your plans to go into the kungfu business, but it is a fact that generations nowadays are lazy off their bums, prefer to be in front of the computer rather than sweat it out.

I might have guess that it is your passion to own a kungfu studio, but passion and earning sustainable profits for the business in a long run might be a concern. It would be a concern that he comes over and spends his savings and yet the business does not take off as planned.

I do agree that papers in securing a job in Malaysia is a must. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of degree holders out there eyeing for the same job.

Ipoh does not have that many high rise building, hence to land him a similiar job might be tough. He will have better luck in KL or Penang, but quite frankly KL pay is much better than in Penang.

Haha.. I am sorry for being a little bit negative, but I can assure you I dont mean you no harm. Just trying to put things into perspective.

Hi roystevenung, no worries, thanks for the information. Obviously opening a martial arts school anywhere is difficult, which is why we're not putting all our eggs in one basket. It will only be him running the school. I myself have already secured a job at an international school as a Science teacher.

We chose Ipoh because my parents live there, so there will be support in terms of accommodation and childcare. The international school I will be working with is also interested in having my husband teach kung fu there as an extracurricular activity. So that's a start. It's all a matter of building up a client base. And he will be seeking other work until the kung fu takes off.

Don't worry, we won't be spending any hard-earned savings on a pointless venture. Worse comes to worst, he'll have to play househusband. :-)

And Gravitas, thanks for the info on the Harriers. My husband doesn't really run, but who knows, he might take it up when we move.

Good thinking especially on the childcare and accomodation. Good luck and welcome back to Malaysia :-)