Thamer International School

Can anyone give me information on the Thamer International School? I am trying to get my 4 year old into a preschool & until I got here was told that I would have no problem getting her into AIJS, which unfortunately is not true and now I am scrambling to enroll her somewhere.

Prefer an American or British school system. Australian or Canadian school would be okay to. Mainly needs to be English speaking. I prefer these types as I know the basic school system and what to expect from them.

Thanks

Try cedar intl school 0564272443

You asked about Thamer ( my answer for  Thamer will apply to Dar Jana school as will  which is supposed to be at the same level of education). It's true that these two schools are adapting high standards of education, but both teachers and students there are not up to that especially the female teachers whom are mainly housewives with no enough qualifications(even after all the last year dilemma with the Iqamas). I know lots of people who sent their kids there and then take them out after few months. The two schools are overcrowded with students and the general attitude is not healthy. They got what we call in the Arabic world as “The Lebanese Complex” (equal to what you call in the west as “The French Attitude”). Stressmum am taking a bullet for you from both Lebanese and French, hope that you know this :sosad:

I agree with assma about cedar, its less than 5 minutes' drive from your compound and Madam Koko, the principle there, is a one tough cookie.

I will add another school, Nobles in tahlia, I recommended this school for many people and they are all happy with the results their kids are having.

Another school i, just for the teachers being all native English speakers, is Jeddah Knowledge School. It's a nice school, but 95% of the students are Saudis rich kids so it has the problems that any school for rich kids has.

I agree with previous poster and his analysis of the school from what I've learned so far.  Even I've heard that the American school isn't good. My friend had to put her kids there for one year and was so upset.  So she took them out.

Thamer has preschool available for your 4 y/o as of a few days ago when I called (Wednesday).  Despite its less than stellar rep I was going to put my kids there as the school they have to go this year only has an afternoon/evening session available.

There is another school Saudi City School. My friend put her son in that school. They don't go beyond First grade so you'd have to find another school.

Thanks Ahmadaq again your a wealth of helpful information!

ahmadaq wrote:

but both teachers and students there are not up to that especially the female teachers whom are mainly housewives with no enough qualifications(even after all the last year dilemma with the Iqamas). I know lots of people who sent their kids there and then take them out after few months. The two schools are overcrowded with students and the general attitude is not healthy.

--Great to know as a former teacher I have high standards as what I expect a school to entail & this would not meet what I see as being acceptable for schooling.

I will try calling Cedar tomorrow. I had tried to find them on the internet, but only  found facebook pages which had kind of put me off, but my daughter definitely needs a disciplinarian :).

I was also going to try Jeddah Prep, but if you are all recommending Cedar I will try them first.

Thanks...I am desparate to get her into school as she has been asking for her school for a few months now!

Jed prep fir sure is on the top three best schools in Jeddah list , so give it a go. Few weeks a go I met two Scott teachers treaching KG in a school in Thalia called little house or house something , they said that its a small school but they are both happy there ( it's behind sun( something ) serviced apartment near sands hotel . Cedar is a small old school , the facilities is nothing to look at but I keep hearing good things a bout it as a school .
There is a daycare / KG in Arabian homes run by Brits and you can pay in weekly monthly bases

Hi stressedmom,

Another good play school you may want to try is Bear-Hugs. It is in Al Hamra area, right opposite the Japanese Consulate. Contact no. - 012 - 6653192, 0555582911. They put in a lot of effort to prepare their Level-4 students (age 5) for grade-1 admissions in the best schools of Jeddah and their success rate is quite high. I was very happy with my kid's progress at that school. The annual fee was SAR 28,500 last year.

I have heard only good things about Jeddah Prep and Grammar school. I have also heard that it is very difficult to get admission there, specially mid-year. Their fee is about SAR 40,000 SAR per annum.

Hope this information is useful to you.

:)

Ahmadaq - Do you have a good location for Cedars International? I know it is on Quraish street, but I can't find anything more. I don't have GPS yet so a little better direction would be very helpful.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. Most of the ones you suggested were already full and have me calling back on a weekly basis to find a seat. Hopefully I will soon have her settled as she is driving me nuts at home & asks almost hourly for schhol.

Cedar is as you said in Qurish street…if you are in Madinah Road going North you take your right into Qurish street..drive for around 250m and you will see a small petrol station to your right, turn right just before the petrol station and Cedar will be the first building to your left .

Thank you Ahmadaq!!!!! Hopefully going tomorrow AM to start application process.

Today is the last day for KG admission at CIS...
Don't miss it..

O dear O dear Stressedmom, Its a good time for you to PANIC !!!!

& now I am as I went into Cedars early this morning & last spot had been filled. asmaa_cis thanks for the heads up just wish I had been able to get in yesterday :(. Going to physically go into AIJS soon to see if that makes a difference too & I guess I am starting all the phone calls again Sunday morning to see if a spot has opened up somewhere....

Am having dinner today with a group of friends from UK and South Aferica most of them  Teachers, I will ask them for you...

Ok the dinner was great... All the teachers I spok with said that their schools are not taking any new kids any more except The French School in Hira street and AGS . The lady from AGS said that they had moved to Cambridge from the Canadian system I think she said this year and they have new staff ags.edu.sa

Thanks again ahmadaq. We struck out at all 4 schools we went to yesterday. The american school wouldn't even let us in pass security to talk to anyone in the administration, even after calling them first. I had had an email from Dar Jana, but they said their's was full to and who specifically sent the email I received from them (of course it just said school admin).

I will check out the french school, but as we don't speak french it may have to be ruled out completely.

Dear stressed mon,
I was told once about a day care and kindergarten at Dr. Soliman Fakeeh hospital..
An old friend had her daughter there..

Try to call the hospital and ask about it

Good luck

So the only 2 schools left with openings are Thamer and Advanced Generations School. Which do you all consider to be better for an non muslim child from the U.S.? Need to fill out application tomorrow so any and all advice is welcome.

I didn't hear about advanced generations...
But I know that Thamer is not recommended.

Hi Stressed mum and @Ahmadaq

My kids are at Bear Hugs,opp the Japanese consulate,
0966-126653192.
Its a great place for non muslims as well as muslim kids.Open spaces and great academic teaching methods.
IT'S as if you were overseas ..rest assured your child will be emotionally and academically prepared there.
They are amazing and treat kids with respect and understanding.
They haveArabic/Quran classes  after school hours and not during so you can have the option,

I will be checking out AGS,heard good things but there has been a change of staff and like Ahmadaq said change of curriculum,they have Arabic/Religion classes throughout the day as well as English classes.
I will be applying for British Conti in november as well as AIJS in March when they open.Ahmad were you talking about British Conti  and AIJS as having a lebanese and French complex?
or were you referring to DAR JANA and Thamer International?
AM cofused to which schools you were reffering to?
Also in your opinion what do you think of the teachers teaching at various schools here in Jeddah like BRITISH,AMERICAN,Is CEDAR A primary school as well?

I will check out Jeddah Prep but I am not too keen.
Jeddah Knowlege is  not what it seems to be.
I have heard from teachers that kids are ill prepared and the boys section is out of control.

@ SOAB

Can u explain what you mean by British Conti being better than The American International School?
what are the teachers like , are they generally excellent in relating to kids, are they  kind and caring??
Do they have good qualifications?
It is vitally important for teachers to boost kids and be caring of little people mental well being,as a mum I do worry about who teaches my child.

I woulkd also like to know about the standard of education at these two schools?
Can u help me ?

Thank you all for your input. SOAB I have not heard great things about AIJS since I have been here, but thought it would have been an easier transition for my daughter. Conti was full every time I looked.

As a surprise I got a call from Dar Jana on Tuesday and they agreed to take my daughter. I did the entrance exam yesterday and just waiting for payment confirmation from my husband's company this morning. If all goes well she will start Tuesday next week since they are closed Sun & Mon for Saudi National Day

I looked at Bear Hugs & was impressed, but again they had no openings.

Hi Stressed mum

I wish your daughter a speedy adjustment and a great year.

Bear hugs by January shoud be able to let you know if they have openings as some kids do leave for overseas or, in March you can register her for the following year,hope this helps you.

Hi there
It's Shakira, mom of two, soon to be four! I am pregnant with twins.
I would like to know how your daughter has adjusted to Dar Al Jana?
Have you moved her to another school yet? Or are you happy there?
Kind regards
Shakira

shakiraessop wrote:

Hi there
It's Shakira, mom of two, soon to be four! I am pregnant with twins.
I would like to know how your daughter has adjusted to Dar Al Jana?
Have you moved her to another school yet? Or are you happy there?
Kind regards
Shakira

Shakira she loved Dar Jana last year and since she was so happy we are going have her continue her education there this year. We are going to revisit whether we are moving her once we see how she likes her teacher this year. I definitely don't want her to continue at this school for to long as they do separate by gender & I am not a fan. When or if we move schools in Jeddah (hoping we move end of this school year or next) I am looking at Jeddah Prep as a few of her friends on compound attend there.

@ stressedmom
So happy to hear, gives me hope to find placings at good schools here,
Please let's keep ourselves updated with info as we go along with the schools in Jeddah.
Best
Shakira

They have only 1 American teacher in the whole school, she works in the KG'S. I heard through a neighbor that she is the best. Most of the teachers there are Jordian/Palestian and now they are hiring a lot of Syrian and Egypt. The school use to be all Lebanese. The school has went down since Mrs.Lina left. The teachers speak in Arabic, I went there with another mother and we could not find anyone in the administration that spoke English.

Hi,

Did you had a luck in finding a good school in Jeddah? If yes, please let me know the school and the  curriculum followed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Babu

please suggest IGCSE/American curriculum school for 1st stranded boy.
as per conversation i choose following schools Sogive your opinion which one is good according education for non muslim?
moral science or any other subject is available in jeddah instead of islamic/Qua-ran Subject?
1.Nobles International School
2.Zahrat Al Sahra'a Int'l School
3.Alnujood Almutawarah International School, Al Basateen
4.Future Generation International School, Al-Fayha'a
5.Corel international school

please suggest.i will not get proper reviews links from google for above school.

all international schools must teach islamic studies.

but i heard some school have option of moral science instead of Quaran/Islamic studies.
is it true or not?
anybody knows that type of school?

lol at twist of the words? moral science - its MORALS based on islam. its a muslim country, your kids will be exposed to it no matter what you do

yugant wrote:

but i heard some school have option of moral science instead of Quaran/Islamic studies.
is it true or not?
anybody knows that type of school?

It's true . Students can choose which one they prefer. If they choose moral/ Arabic class what they learn is about Saudi Arabia culture, do's and don't, basic Arabic (fusha)

If they choose Islamic studies, they will learn to read Quran and memorizing some of the surah.

This apply in international school as American , British , jprep.

Oh ya, most of Muslim kids will choose Islamic study.

While non Muslim kids will choose the other one.

thanx

Can my son appear as private candidate in A levels (As) in this school in physics,chemistry and Biology?

Thanks

Hello kalimullah marwat,

Welcome to expat.com!

Kindly note that you have posted on an inactive thread.

Have you tried contacting the school? Perhaps they will have more reliable information to share with you.

You can contact them here: https://www.tis.edu.sa/support/other/contact-us

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team