Car Legalization/Residente Temporal, My Experience

My husband and I have been living in a rancho in the state of Guanajuato for three years. This February I received my Residente Temporal card (my husband is Mexican), and we were relieved that our car with its California plates would now be legal without having to return it to the border for a new permit. At the immigration office in Leon, we were told that the car went along with my residency status. But after a few months we wanted to be sure, (especially after reading stories in blogs and information boards!)so we returned to the office to ask how we could get a temporary permit for the car to go along with the residency.

They sent us to the aduana offices at Puerto Interior, near the Bajio airport. Our first visit was early in August. At the aduana it was all very official. We had to leave our id's at a kiosk, and sign a large book at the entrance of a large, silent office. After waiting a few minutes a young man came out of a nearby glassed-in office gave us a form to fill out, and asked for the title of the car, my passport, the car registration and the most recent 6-month permit (the one from the border). We returned a few days later with the documents.

This time a young woman came to see us and told us we didn't need anything! No form to fill out - nothing! The car automatically goes along with the residency, she said.

We thought Great! and left to celebrate. But then, just this Monday  as we were driving my husband's mother to a doctor visit in a nearby town,  we were stopped by a Transito Estatal police (their vehicles look a lot like US Highway Patrol). He asked for my driver's license and didn't notice that it was expired (whew! we are still waiting for it to arrive). He asked for my green card and said that those documents were in order, but that our car permit sticker was expired. Of course we explained that we had been told at the aduana that the car was legal, along with my green card.

He becamse testy, and asked if we were suggesting that he didn't know the importation regulations. He threatened to confiscate the car. After lengthy protests from us he returned my license and green card and let us go “in respect for my mother-in-law”, who is ninety-one years old.

Yesterday we returned to the Puerto Interior. We were determined to get SOMETHING -a letter, or anything to carry with us in case we were stopped again.

At the kiosk we left our ids again, and returned to the big silent office. And this time the same young man came to talk with us. He is, evidently, a lawyer. He repeated what the young woman had told us - the car is legal, and as long as my status does not change to Resident Permanente, the car is legal as well.

We explained what had happened, and he said that the state transit police do not have the authority to confiscate the car, and that only the aduana can do that (hmmm!). He would not give us a letter or a permit or any kind of proof. Finally he gave us a pamphlet  from the SAT entitled Vehiculos/Vehicles - the one in Spanish, French and English that you can pick up at the border or other aduana places. He turned to a page and circled a couple of sentences in Spanish. It was the section  headed  Duration of Permit. It reads “For Foreigners”, “The duration of their immigration status, including extensions.”

The attorney told us not to let anyone confiscate the car (hah!) and that the car is legal without any other permit or document.

We walked out, dubiously shaking our heads, and as we left the area and got our documents back from the sympathetic man in the kiosk, he said, “And just now they brought in a trailer they confiscated.”

Very interesting and useful thanks for posting. I'm planning on getting my car in November, so I will keep your information in mind.

Like the language, some regulations seem to be said or interpreted differently depending on who is saying them,why they are saying them and when they are saying them.

I think of it as a lesson a day.

I live in Urangato Gto and I know everyone goes after 6 months to renew the car permit.  So what you are saying is that if I have my permit to be in MX, my car is also good until I re-enter to US?  As long as the car is in my name as a US Citizen? Thanks for clarifing.

Hi, rsandyanne,
Well, as you can see from my post, I am still being informed - this was just my experience. What I have been told is right there:). If you have a Residente Temporal permit you (SHOULD) be allowed to have your car.
Check with an immigration lawyer, maybe, for a clearer answer?
Gail

I understand that the rules may have changed recently about cars, but I can confirm that your experience is exactly what has gone on for years in our area of Oaxaca.

The laws that define temporary importation rules are under SAT and the Aduana.  The Aduana has public information duties and it has enforcers but they have nothing to do with the Transito police.  All they will do is tell you what the law they follow says.  And what you understand is exactly what they explained to me as well. I have emails from aduana lawyers telling me the same thing they told you.

But that's not what the transito will want to follow, even if they know the rules.  They are the regulators and predators of the road but the import law gives us some diplomatic immunity technically the temp import vehicles are exempt from some of their regulation. But the Transito doesn't answer to the Aduana. They have to eat and so they try. It has cost me before to keep my car when they threatened to take it.

What I did was print a copy of the email from an Aduana lawyer in DF who answered my question along with the government's online pages that interpret the law for tourists.  PLUS the cover and relevant pages from the actual law which is available online (in spanish). 

The next time I was stopped it was at a transito blockade, they were already discussing confiscating the car before it rolled to a stop!  I pulled out the folder of papers and started pointing out a few things, the lawyer, section 365b, etc, they shook their heads, retreated then waved us on.

You need to put this in your car. They won't figt this

Articulo 106 Ley Aduanera
Que Se Entiende Por Régimen De Importación Temporal 

ARTICULO 106. Se entiende por régimen de importación temporal, la entrada al país de mercancías para permanecer en el por tiempo limitado y con una finalidad especifica, siempre que retornen al extranjero en el mismo estado, por los siguientes plazos.

FRACCION IV. Por el plazo que dure su calidad migratoria, incluyendo sus prorrogas, en los casos.
a) Las de vehículos que sean propiedad de turistas, visitantes, visitantes locales y distinguidos, estudiantes e inmigrantes rentistas, siempre que los mismos sean de su propiedad a excepción de turistas y visitantes locales. Cuando no sean de su propiedad deberán cumplirse los requisitos que establezca el Reglamento. Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por un extranjero que tenga algunas de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso, por el cónyuge, los ascendientes o descendientes del importador, aun cuando estos ultimo no sean extranjeros, o por un nacional, siempre que en este ultimo caso, viaje a bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehiculo.
Los vehículos a que se refiere este inciso, deberán cumplir con los requisitos que señale el reglamento.

Article 106 Customs Law
Temporary Vehicle Importation Regulations

Are you living in Mexico and driving a foreign car?  If so, you have the added responsibility of keeping your car permit valid, which is not necessarily a straightforward task due to misinformation and inconsistent enforcement by local Mexican officers.  This article addresses some of the sticky (eh hem sticker) issues relating to driving a foreign plated car in Mexico, and hopefully gives you some solutions to make your life in Mexico a little more hassle-free. 

Mexico's federal customs law, the Ley Aduanera, allows a foreigner to temporarily import a car into Mexico for the duration of the importer's immigration status, plus extensions.  Tourists who enter Mexico with a 90 day tourist visa, for example, are issued a car permit for that same 90 days.  Similarly, the majority of ex-pat families in Mexico are here with an FM-3 visa, which has a one year term and is renewable for additional one year terms.  Under the customs law, a car permit will last as long as the FM-3 is valid, both for the first year and each year thereafter.   

A Car Import Sticker Is Valid as long as your FM-3 is Valid or is in the Process of Renewal

As explained above, it is clear that a car import sticker is valid during the original annual term of an FM-3 visa, and it stays valid during each of the renewal years thereafter.   Further, as long as the importer has a valid immigration status:

1.  The car import sticker is valid regardless of the expiration date, if any, on the car permit sticker itself; and

2.  There is no requirement that the driver go to a border town car permit office or other place to renew it.  There is a requirement that you notify the customs office, but the notification can be done in writing and handled simply by your attorney. 

The above notification should be in writing, and include copies of the vehicle permit as well as the renewed Visa and sent by messenger to the following address in Mexico City:

Administración General de Aduanas
Administración Central de Planeacion Aduanera
Av. Hidalgo No. 77, Modulo IV, primer piso
Col. Guerrero, Delegación Cuauhtemoc
Código Postal 06300, México, D.F.

You stated: "Further, as long as the importer has a valid immigration status",

Article 106 you posted includes this clause.

"The vehicles covered by this subsection, shall meet the requirements specified in the regulations." [TIP rules]

The TIP rules state you can have renewals of INM documents AS long as they are not changed to Inmigrante Lucritiva or Inmigrado.

So you can have a TIP as long as you do not change to any of these classifications. The new visa would be Residente Temporal, with a "Permiso para Trabajar" [lucritiva, Inmigrante] and Residente Permanente [Inmigrado].

So having any INM visa does not allow you to have a TIP. If you change to one of the 2 above your TIP is then cancelled.

TIP Rules, at least this part:

"For more information contact your consular or call toll INFOSAT 1877 44 88 728.

If you fail to return the vehicle, the guarantee [deposit] will be called [not refunded] and Banjército will transfer the amount thereof to the Federal Treasury, no later than the second banking day following the day on which the expiration of the temporary .

If your period is extended by extension or endorsement of its quality [characteristic] or change in nonimmigrant visa status to immigrant rentista [retiree] (provided there is continuity in migration categories), so that the left  guarantee [deposit] does not become effected, must occur in any 49 customs of the country, a free-form writing, giving notice of that fact within 15 working days following the day on which he had granted the extension, enlargement, endorsement or change of nonimmigrant visa status to immigrant rentista and must attach a copy of proof of such proceedings, and the temporary import permit of the vehicle and, if appropriate, the admission card.

If the vehicle's return is not made in time, it is suggested not to drive, since it will be illegally in the country and may be subject to penalties and seizure of the vehicle, so you must arrange a safe return."

"Para mayor información acuda a su representación consular o llame sin costo a INFOSAT 1 877 44 88 728.

Si no cumple con el retorno del vehículo, la garantía se hará efectiva y Banjército transferirá el monto de la misma a la Tesorería de la Federación, a más tardar al segundo día hábil bancario siguiente a aquél en que haya vencido el plazo de la importación temporal. 

Si su plazo se prorroga por ampliación o refrendo a su calidad o cambio en la calidad migratoria de no inmigrante a inmigrante rentista (siempre que exista continuidad en las calidades migratorias), para que la garantía que dejó no se haga efectiva, debe presentar en cualquiera de las 49 aduanas del país, un escrito en formato libre, dando aviso de dicha circunstancia, dentro de los 15 días hábiles siguientes a aquél en que se le hubiera otorgado la prórroga, ampliación, refrendo o cambio en la calidad migratoria de no inmigrante a inmigrante rentista, debiendo anexar copia del comprobante de dicho trámite, así como del permiso de importación temporal del vehículo y, en su caso, la tarjeta de internación.

Si el retorno del vehículo no se hace en tiempo, se sugiere no conducirlo, ya que el mismo se encontrará de manera ilegal en el país y podrá ser sujeto de sanciones y embargo del vehículo, por lo que deberá tramitar el Retorno seguro."

aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11220.html

"