Hello

Hi I am new to the site having made the positive decision that I want to live and work in Egypt. I looked at many sites and by far this seems to be one of the best..... so here I am!
Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can advise me on work, accommodation and pretty much everything else about Egypt.
I am a teacher but will happily turn my hand to just about anything  and am hoping to make the move very soon as I have no ties here in England now.
Look forward to chatting to you all
Angie

Hello, u r very welcome to live here in egypt, but please be specific where in egypt?

Hi Ahmed, Thankyou for the welcome.
I am open to living anywhere that I can work really, as a teacher I understand that Cairo is probably my best option so I guess that I will focus my searches in that area particularly.

I am very curious to know from you why Egypt, why Cairo and why now at these turbulent times???

Hi, thanks for the questions which I totally understand and will try to answer.
Firstly why Egypt? I love the history and the culture, the people are welcoming and friendly (mostly) I spend a lot of money frequently flying there for holidays so I figure that now I have the freedom to do as I please why not move there. Cairo was my first choice as I am a qualified teacher and I am aware that most of the teaching jobs would be in that area, that part is not set in stone ans I will happily go anywhere really where I can find work as a teacher or in any other role.
Secondly, why now with the current political situation? I know a lot of people would probably have some misgivings about moving to a country with such political unrest. I have thought about it for some time and whilst I realise it's not something a lot of people would do I just feel that the time is right for me personally.
Angie

Best of luck to you in your move. You are correct that Cairo has a lot of demand for foreign teachers but you may also want to consider Alexandria or Hurghada. Did you research the numeration package for these positions as well?? If you did, I'll be curious to know how much they pay. Thanks.

Hi Fast916,
Thank you for your good wishes.
I have not researched the pay as yet, I am in a situation whereby as long as the pay covers rent and day to day expenses I will be happy. I know that it is sometimes easier to get the higher paid jobs by applying from the UK but I just feel I would prefer to be 'on site' looking for jobs meeting prospective employers face to face rather than via a video link. I can comfortably afford to move and allow myself maybe 3 months to find work but really just need to be assured that I would get a job within this sort of time period, I am reading regularly now that there is little work for foreigners in Egypt and wonder if that applies to the education sector as well.
Angie

Just an update really, I have had many discussions with friends and colleagues in recent days, also done some research and have decided to move to Sharm el Sheikh for a minimum of 6 months initially. With this in mind I am in the process of securing a rental apartment there and have calculated that I can afford to do this without having to work as the rents are actually far cheaper than I anticipated. I have posted on the Sharm forum now also but just wanted to update this post.
Thanks to those who responded to me both on here and privately.
Angie

So  you are moving now to an area that if things continue deteriorating as they are will have big problems soon.
just over the days 48 hotels in the sharm / dahab area have closed their doors due to the unrest.

As for jobs - find one before you come - don't wait until you are here.

As for turning your hand to other things - this is Egypt millions of unemployed (high caliber unemployed) and it is not like the U UK again in that you can work as anything - the employers won't hire you (quite rightly so when there are many Egyptians who need work  (and why should they employ you anyway - you don't have the language, and cost more as they have to have a work permit for you - which you can't get anyway for the every day jobs)- and the salaries are exceptionally low.

As stated on the forums also - don't think about working illegally - it used to be the 'done thing' - but the ministries are getting very tough on people who work illegally and they are far more vigilant than they were before.

Biffy I take on board what you are saying totally and without going into too much detail here I am in the fortunate position of not actually needing to work now, as I stated in my last post I am in a position whereby I can rent somewhere for a far more reasonable amount than I am currently paying in London. I know Sharm very well and that is why I have now decided to live there rather than Cairo.
Thanks for your very valid comments however

Hi Angieb61,

IF you are looking for a job in Egypt, i would recommend Cairo because of salaries for expatriate in Cairo much more higher than Sharm. otherwise, Cairo has lots of international schools and they are looking for English native speaker as a (Teacher). For example New Cairo, 6th of October city in Jiza. (with really good salaries).
On the other hand, Sharm Elshiekh compared to Cairo as the life style, honestly Sharm is better, but with no good jobs and less salaries. in Addition the cost of living is Sharm is really expensive, but don't compare it with UK.
Finally, wish you all best with your new life career.
Regards,
Mohamed Adel

I u looking forward to live in sharm or hurghada I think I can do some thing you can come over and make some interviews there in some schools may be you find some thing

Mohamed Adel wrote:

Hi Angieb61,

IF you are looking for a job in Egypt, i would recommend Cairo because of salaries for expatriate in Cairo much more higher than Sharm. otherwise, Cairo has lots of international schools and they are looking for English native speaker as a (Teacher). For example New Cairo, 6th of October city in Jiza. (with really good salaries).
On the other hand, Sharm Elshiekh compared to Cairo as the life style, honestly Sharm is better, but with no good jobs and less salaries. in Addition the cost of living is Sharm is really expensive, but don't compare it with UK.
Finally, wish you all best with your new life career.
Regards,
Mohamed Adel

Hi Mohamed and thank you for your good wishes, I am flying to Sharm el Sheikh next week to look at apartments and will be making the move to live there mid October, I will just take some time to settle initially and reconsider my work options after a few months
Best Wishes
Angie

medo dewidar wrote:

I u looking forward to live in sharm or hurghada I think I can do some thing you can come over and make some interviews there in some schools may be you find some thing

Hi and thank you, I will certainly take your kind offer into consideration should I decide I want to seek a post once I am settled #
Best Wishes
Angie

up to you I am going to fly to Dubai soon so I was thinking that will be vacation trip for me , any how take care about the rent

Hello Angie.  Welcome to expat-blog.  I have just moved over from the West Midlands to beautiful Hurghada 3 weeks ago.  If you need to know anything just ask and i will do my best to help.

Kindest regards
Sandra

Hi Sandra and thank you, I hope you are settling in well.
I fly out this Thursday to Sharm el Sheikh for 7 days so that I can look at some rental apartments and hopefully get that all sorted. My plan at the moment is to be back living there by the 13th October ( I always make deadlines for myself by which to do things, sad I know lol!) 
Having made the decision to actually go I seem to go between being very excited and then wondering if I am doing the right thing ....... still,I will never know if I don't give it a go and I don't want to spend the rest of my days saying what if.
I am trying to sort out the visa side of things and its very unclear as I don't plan to work just live there, all I can find is the holiday visa info so if you could point me in the right direction with that I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in anticipation
Angie x

Hi Angie.  I know exactly exactly how you feel with your emotions.  Even up until the day before I travelled .. I thought " oh god " what if its the wrong decision.  But once there, I knew.  But I found each time I came back to the UK from Hurghada I found it hard and always looking at flights to go back again hahahaha!

Like yourself, I  have no dependants and nothing to keep me any one place.  And am fortunate enough to just relax and enjoy my retirement.

I am only on a tourist visa at present.. I have bought 2 apartments and think ( not sure ) but if you purchase property you get a 5 year residency visa.  I will have to sort that out at some point.  I am currently in the process of opening a bank account.

I wish you lots of luck with your future plans.. And you do have to take a risk. Go for it.  If I had listened to people I would be in my arm chair with my slippers  hahahaha!  No chance.

Take care
Sandra

Thanks for that Sandra, I am not buying , at least not at the moment. Maybe in a year or so I will reconsider. To be honest the rent is just a third of what I have been paying in London and in the 4 months I have rented my place I have spent only 6 weeks here  as I am also constantly flying back and forth. Amazing how a place can steal your heart and I always feel I have 'come home' when I land in Sharm. Really cant explain it. Good luck anyway with your new life
Angie x

Hi, im originally from Canada and living in Alexandria.  I was just wondering what the accomodation costs might be in sharm.  My family and I are looking to relocate and interested in that area.  Any input would be appreciated.

mandy1983 wrote:

Hi, im originally from Canada and living in Alexandria.  I was just wondering what the accomodation costs might be in sharm.  My family and I are looking to relocate and interested in that area.  Any input would be appreciated.

Hi I am flying out tomorrow and am viewing several apartments in and around Naama Bay over the coming days. They are a mixture if 1 and 2 bed places and the price range is between 2000LE and 2700LE . Hope this helps
Angie

It is great pleasure to contact you, how are you doing and how is your life in Egypt, are you living with your family :) i think you have a pretty kid in the photo, thanks for adding

Hello...you are more than welcome
all of us are here to help you and join you your wonderful moments you will spend here
just tell us how can we prepare things to you?

Alexandria is a strong option too, I work as a teacher there!

Believe Whedy answer is reliable enough

Hi Angie, and welcome to Egypt :)

Hi Angie, you are most welcome to Egypt, kindly try to make search on the Internet for the British international schools in Egypt and try to contact them to apply online as a teacher, I think you can get a good offer as a British teacher.
Good luck and wish to see you in Egypt soon

Adam4eve wrote:

Hi Angie, you are most welcome to Egypt, kindly try to make search on the Internet for the British international schools in Egypt and try to contact them to apply online as a teacher, I think you can get a good offer as a British teacher.
Good luck and wish to see you in Egypt soon

Thanks, I have been fortunate enough to secure a job here in Sharm now which is where i prefer to be.

Hi Angie, we have 2 vacancies, please check them out:

1. Part- time expert to proof-read content on our website.  Our Package is L.E 1,500 per month and you will work 3 days per week from the office (In Mohandessin), 4 hours per day.

2. Part- time marketing professional to Handle Our Social Media.  Our Package is L.E 3,000 and you will work 2 days per week from the office (In Mohandessin) and 3 days from home, 4 hours per day 9am - 1pm.

If you are interested in any of these vacancies please forward you CV to [email protected]

Best,
Doaa K.

Tbox wrote:

Hi Angie, we have 2 vacancies, please check them out:

1. Part- time expert to proof-read content on our website.  Our Package is L.E 1,500 per month and you will work 3 days per week from the office (In Mohandessin), 4 hours per day.

2. Part- time marketing professional to Handle Our Social Media.  Our Package is L.E 3,000 and you will work 2 days per week from the office (In Mohandessin) and 3 days from home, 4 hours per day 9am - 1pm.

If you are interested in any of these vacancies please forward you CV to [email protected]

Best,
Doaa K.

Hi Tbox, thanks for this , unfortunately I live in Sharm el Sheikh  so would not be able to do the office based work currently. Shamer as I would really be interested in both roles

No problem Angie, if you decide to move to Cairo please feel free to contact me as we are in the phase of expanding our team.  My email: [email protected] and mobile is: 01018083999.

Please also feel free to forward this opportunity to someone you think could be interested in applying.

Cheers!

Doaa K.

I have private messaged you Tbox :-)

@ Tbox > Please note that there is an appropriate section for the job offers, so can you please post your job offer in the jobs section here : https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/africa/egypt/cairo/ ?

Thank you,

Priscilla

Hi Angie
Welcome