How much does it cost to live in Bangkok?

scottmallon wrote:
neda_aria wrote:

Well for me as a girl, I live in a studio apartment and I don't pay much. I monthly pay 15000 Baht monthly for everything but entertainment.

In this 15,000 baht budget, do you save any money or pay health or life insurance?

Does this include your visa fees or transportation outside of the country to get the visa? My non-O visa costs me about 12,000 baht a year but with a work permit, it is even more. Those who go out of the country every month or every three months need to fly out, adding even more.

for sure, I just spend it on food, transportation and accommodation.

Hi, I'll be moving to BKK early feb 2013. I need to find somewhere reasonably cheap to live, also near Sukhumvit. I need to keep costs to a minimum until I get established in my new job. If any of you guys have any suggestions or contacts (estate agents) that would be great. Thanks Glen

How much is cheap. Also, if you're looking for cheap, agents are not the way to go. Do you have any Thai friends who can help you? They tend to be better at finding less expensive places where you get more for your money.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've no thai friends yet. This will be my first time in Bangkok. I've got about £1000.00 (47157.90 thb)max a month to live on, really not sure about living cost at all. Any help would be brill. Thanks Glen.

Glen R wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've no thai friends yet. This will be my first time in Bangkok. I've got about £1000.00 (47157.90 thb)max a month to live on, really not sure about living cost at all. Any help would be brill. Thanks Glen.

That's enough but you'll need to watch your spending, especially if you like to drink and party and run around.

This should give you a better idea of what I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWt-Vww9ELE - this is my old channel.

The new site is:
http://www.youtube.com/user/anamericaninbangkok

so you recommend to not use an agent to find a house?

if I dont use an agent how do I go about finding a house?

do I just walk into apartment buildings, condos etc and ask to talk with the manager?

thank you..

I am given 30.000bht housing allowance a month, I have been looking at many agent sites and I have noticed some of the houses they are posting for 40.000 don't seem worth that much when compared to other sites, and some worth 50.000 look like they are only worth 30.000bht.

so, because I am not paying for my house, and I can not draw the cash at all, the company pays the rent. I might as well get the best living I can get for the price.
so what will 30-35K bht get me in sukhumvit area if I don't use an agent? would it be like something listing for 50.000bht on the agent websites?
or are the agent prices pretty much correct but just a couple 1000 off for their take?

There are numerous places online and you can use these places to give yourself an idea of where to look. It's been my experience that the agents always want to upsell you or get you the most expensive places. They get a certain percentage kickback from the apartment or they get a certain percentage every month. 

In looking around online and also walking around,you'll get a good idea of the prices and where to check for places. Also, if you have a Thai friend, by all means get them to help.

30,000 baht a month is more than enough to find a nice place. More than enough. We live in a 4-bedroom, 2-baht home for 7000 a month. But to get a place around the Sukhumvit area I think you'll find many of the managers speak English.

We plan on moving in the next few months and we've found numerous 2-bedroom condos for 12,000-15,000 a month.

Luis I'm walter,that was very helpful,thanks. I also plan to live in Thailand very soon.

THESE QUESTIONS ARE ALSO FOR ANYONE WHO CAN GIVE ME MORE INFO.

Luis, figure I'm about 50 yrs in good shape looking for a Thai girlfriend for keeps.
At the beginning at least I'm considering the capital because even though its bound to be more expensive it is something you would want to see/experience and maybe you have a better chance of meeting girls.

Oh, important, in that girl subject; what would you do? Once you're there you go on the internet websites (which?) or were do you go to meet them and were should you live to meet the right woman?

I noticed in your monthly expenses that you lived far from transportation,obviously it must be to save.But since I'm so new and by myself, I'd like to be more centralized closer to cheap restaurants as I will likely eat all my meals out rather than cooking.
Also a good place to walk everywhere,enjoy the city go to the gym and be a little closer to people and things in general...Keeping in mind that I rarely drink (don't care for beer)Nor am I much of loud music nightclub person.

As far as food, meat/chiken/fish and vegetables is what I like to keep in shape which is probably more common there, than here in the U.S.
Were should I look to live and how much would I need to spend?
and where to look for beautiful nice girls???
Last question: cheaper dates/time to travel/airlines etc

Cuban wrote:

Luis I'm walter,that was very helpful,thanks. I also plan to live in Thailand very soon.

THESE QUESTIONS ARE ALSO FOR ANYONE WHO CAN GIVE ME MORE INFO.

Luis, figure I'm about 50 yrs in good shape looking for a Thai girlfriend for keeps.
At the beginning at least I'm considering the capital because even though its bound to be more expensive it is something you would want to see/experience and maybe you have a better chance of meeting girls.

Oh, important, in that girl subject; what would you do? Once you're there you go on the internet websites (which?) or were do you go to meet them and were should you live to meet the right woman?

I noticed in your monthly expenses that you lived far from transportation,obviously it must be to save.But since I'm so new and by myself, I'd like to be more centralized closer to cheap restaurants as I will likely eat all my meals out rather than cooking.
Also a good place to walk everywhere,enjoy the city go to the gym and be a little closer to people and things in general...Keeping in mind that I rarely drink (don't care for beer)Nor am I much of loud music nightclub person.

As far as food, meat/chiken/fish and vegetables is what I like to keep in shape which is probably more common there, than here in the U.S.
Were should I look to live and how much would I need to spend?
and where to look for beautiful nice girls???
Last question: cheaper dates/time to travel/airlines etc

Walter - a couple of things to consider.

There are cheap restaurants and food stalls on nearly every street. Food should be the least of your worries, at least once you get situated. You can get just about any type of food you want here. Today I drank the water from four coconuts throughout the day and it cost me about $2. Fresh markets are everywhere so like I said, finding food will not be a major concern.

I have no idea how well you know about Thai culture but I'm assuming very little. If you want "nice girls," learn a little about the culture before you jump right in.

As far as what you need to spend...if you're not hitting the clubs, you don't smoke or drink alcohol excessively, that will cut your budget significantly.

If I were single now, I wouldn't want to  live off less than $2000 a month, but that's me. A comfortable, one-bedroom apartment is 10,000-15,000 (Lumpini Condos are in this range) but you can find one for less. You can also get a house for this much too.

If you eat out every day at Thai style restaurants, you can get by on next to nothing (100 baht) if you scrimp or you can eat well for 300-400 baht.

Transportation...depends on what mode you take. If you use the river taxis, buses, sky train, subway...you will generally save quite a bit over taking taxis. But...you need to get to know your area and the transportation systems.

You should also figure in health care and your visa costs.

I personally would stay away from the internet, at least at first. You don't need the internet when you're living among them! I am also 50 and have been married for quite some time but I did years of running around. If you don't want nightclubs or nightlife, take a course teaching you Thai, go see the sites, and get to know Thailand. Thailand is like an onion - you peel away the layers and more and more and more layers are underneath.

I've been here close to 17 years now and have went through just about every situation imaginable and I still learn things about Thailand every single day.   

If you want a girl who's out for money, or one to fulfill your needs, they're easy to find. Almost as easy as finding a 7'11. Finding a truly good woman is another matter. They can be difficult to find anywhere in the world but it will help you quite a bit if you know the rules of the game here, what they expect, and what they're like.

Some Thai women would never dream of dating or marrying a foreigner, some are good girls that have pressure on them to land a financially strong boyfriend/husband, and others are downright snakes. This is everywhere but the cultural difference often interferes with men's thinking process here-they think with the little head instead of the big one. And...their girl is different.     

I don't understand your last question though...cheaper days to and from where? While in Asia/Thailand, there are numerous budget airlines...Air Asia, Bangkok Air, Tiger Airways, Jetstar Asia, FlyScoot...

Great! Let me ask you about neighborhoods or areas that are centrally located; can you tell me some names please?

Places that it would be good cause they have restaurants,gym close by a good place to walk around to sight see or exercise and live.
Were would you advise me to look?

Preferably close to transportation.

Thanks!

I just discovered your info on the site.I didn't know you had written,thanks!
So in what areas/neighborhoods ideally would I live close to everything? (since food is not an issue) Like a gym,a place that is good to walk around etc

And if you can tell me how not to insult "in my approch" a Thi girl that would be great. What percentage of them speak English?

Yes,I'm planning to move there in a few months and you seem to have a great apt. deal!

I'd love to get a one bedroom or large studio kind of like yours in a central location were there would be maybe a gym to work out,a nice place to walk around for exercising and generally a nice area to live in.

I used to live in midtown manhattan and it was great cause you could walk mostly everywhere and if it's to far, take public transportation (subway) or a cab but you are basically already there!

Also, what's the temperature there mostly? Are there seasons? or lots of rain? How do you dress mostly?

What should I take from here that it's hard to find or overly expensove over there? Electronics,shoes,good clothing,what would be a good things to bring with me when I move?

When you are looking for women there, is it easier to go to hangouts,bars (which?) or find them throw the internet?

Thanks for your help!

Yes,I'm planning to move there in a few months and you seem to have a great apt. deal!

I'd love to get a one bedroom or large studio  in a central location were there would be maybe a gym to work out,a nice place to walk around for exercising and generally a nice area to live in.

Could you tell me the names of some neghborhoods/areas that I should look into?

I used to live in midtown manhattan and it was great cause you could walk mostly everywhere and if it's to far, take public transportation (subway) or a cab but you are basically already there!

Also, what's the temperature there mostly? Are there seasons? or lots of rain? How do you dress mostly?

What should I take from here that it's hard to find or overly expensove over there? Electronics,shoes,good clothing,what would be a good things to bring with me when I move?

When you are looking for women there, is it easier to go to hangouts,bars (which?) or find them throw the internet?

Thanks for your help!

Cuban wrote:

I'd love to get a one bedroom or large studio  in a central location were there would be maybe a gym to work out,a nice place to walk around for exercising and generally a nice area to live in.

Could you tell me the names of some neghborhoods/areas that I should look into?

Thanks for your help!

Woh...you're asking a ton of questions and most can be answered if you simply search online. Temperature, seasons, dress, etc.

I'm assuming you've never been here. Are you coming for a job or because you think it will be the place for you? Because if you have not been here before for any length of time, I would seriously suggest coming here a few times before picking up and moving here.

Learn the basics of the language. If anything, you can keep your mouth shut and understand a bit of what they're saying.

Areas to live: Sukhumvit - upper is cheaper but not as much to do. But the sky train is available. Silom - business area, Victory Monument area...close to Khao San Road...

I live out by Ramkhamhaeng University, on Ladprao Road. I personally don't want to be around mostly foreigners, as with the lower Sukhumvit area.

I already told you what I think about going after women. If you absolutely need or want to find a woman, just go to a massage parlor. Otherwise, get to know the culture, get to know the people, hang out in coffee shops, malls, restaurants, find a new hobby, and learn the ins and outs of the country. Until that time, it's going to be difficult to understand Thai women.

How not to insult them...don't treat them all like they're prostitutes. Don't touch them or hug them or kiss them until you've definitely got something going with them. I can't tell you how many times a visiting friend of mine I'm showing around tries to tough a girls hand or arm that he just met only to have them stiffen. Thai women, IMO, are like flowers waiting to bloom. You give them a little time and they start opening up. They may be shy and reserved at first but once you get them to open up they're strong and go after what they want. 

Like I said - using the internet to pick up women isn't necessary but it is another way to hook up. My apprehension with you though is that you'll start something before you come over here, the woman will want to help you get set up, and you'll be in a relationship before you have even had time to look around.

Also, if they're a good Thai chick, a truly good girl, you're going to have to get to know her a bit before she'll go out with you. Even then, she may want to along bring a friend.

This is Thailand, not New York, and things are laid back. Move slowly and take your time; this will serve you well.

Thank you for the info!
And no, I've never even been in the area at all.But it seems like a good place to start.

We r shifting to bangkok. Can anybody tell me expenses in bangkok.i mean total expenditure including rent, food etc.my husbands office is in lumpini. How much is rent there for 1bhk. How well are apartments protected from rodents.

symawani wrote:

We r shifting to bangkok. Can anybody tell me expenses in bangkok.i mean total expenditure including rent, food etc.my husbands office is in lumpini. How much is rent there for 1bhk. How well are apartments protected from rodents.

Welcome to Expat.com.

For living costs try www.numbeo.com
Remember you will also need medical insurance cover too. 

For rental costs click on housing at the top of this page and check out the rentals advertised there. v

This is 2014. What are th expenses to live a good life in. Bangkok..

symawani wrote:

The snakes kill the rodents  :cool:

I lived in Bangkok for almost 3 years and everything's incredibly affordable in Thailand! I stayed in Ramkamhaeng area where a townhouse only costed me around 7K baht a month. It'd be higher with your preferred location. A budget of 40k to 50k a month could actually provide you a decent living. Then again, this is subjective.

Hi,

Your fixed cost: rents, phone bill, transportation.

for rent: in Sukhumvit area rents rate will start from 15,000, 20,000, On Negotiated. 25,000, 30,000, 35,000. is depends.
Phone Bill I would recommend for monthly service for convenience you will pay around 850 - 1,500 Approx. or Top up- you might pay cheaper  around 800 THB
Easy Transportation: BTS/MRT monthly ticket, Motorcycle-Win. or a taxi cap run by miter.

Takecare,

Scott - how much is medical insurance?  Can u direct me where I can learn more please?

Hi guys, I'm considering an expat assignment to Samae Dam area in Bangkok for one year. I got most of my questions answered in this thread (although I'm not sure if the figures are still relevant because some of the posts are from few years ago).

My decision on where to rent lies on if I should get my own transport. Is public transport system here reliable? Or is it very important for me to live near where my office is to avoid having to use public transport or buying own vehicle.

Thanks everyone.

How Much Does it Cost?

In Bangkok I roughly spent $2,500 – $3,000 a month. It's a lot cheaper than what I spent in America, and my quality of life's higher.

$600 a month = do-able, but not comfortable at all
$1,000- $2,000 a month = average
$2,000+ = Living nice

If you get a chance, definitely visit Bangkok. I think it's a great gateway city to the rest of Asia. I might be moving back so look me up if you wanna meet up.

Well it's a tough question to answer because different people have different needs. I have done a lot of research on this topic before I wrote this (I am not trying to promote my post), but I am sure this will give you an idea of how much it costs to live in Thailand - bangkokexpatlife.com/2014/12/cost-living-bangkok-expats

Also, another good source is would be - ajarn.com/help-and-guides/cost-of-living/ - It's a guide of what different people spend living in Bangkok. It might be completely different for you but it gives an overview.

Manny 009 - where's the link?  Very much want to read what u have to say

Bahiablue wrote:

Manny 009 - where's the link?  Very much want to read what u have to say

The link is under review by admin. If okay it will be available.This is done to stop spammers etc.

Thai Bath is the most cheapest currency in the world in Order to Live Fun Eat Hangout.

Is the 20,000 for a year? I'm trying to give myself an estimate for how much each year will cost in Bangkok. I'm going to college at Thongsook and am in the process of getting loans. Any ideas?

Europhaessa wrote:

Is the 20,000 for a year? I'm trying to give myself an estimate for how much each year will cost in Bangkok. I'm going to college at Thongsook and am in the process of getting loans. Any ideas?

Check out this site for cost of living.  www.numbeo.com   You can also read through the many informative posts in the forum categories list upper right hand side of this page.

Hi you gave such a great explanation on expenses.
Do you like to live out there, and how much will be in dollars if   5000 in tb ?
since i am in America and have no idea but would like to move out there.
thank you

Hi i am glad to hear this ,since i am thinking to relocate from America to Thailand
When you mentioned 2000 how much it will be in dollars?
also if you can tell me what city might be good where very peaceful
thanks

vilicoy wrote:

Hi i am glad to hear this ,since i am thinking to relocate from America to Thailand
When you mentioned 2000 how much it will be in dollars?
also if you can tell me what city might be good where very peaceful
thanks

2000 baht = US$60

thank you for responding

If you want to be stuck in your apartment or condo all the time then yes 60000 baht A month is probably doable.
If you like to get out and do things,travel then it's going to be like 100000 baht A month.

The standard commission for all property agents in rental and sale as follows.
1) if monthly rental is 20,000.00 baht per month, agent will get 1/2 month rental fee which is 10,000 baht for 6 months rental contract. 1 month rental fee which is 20,000 baht for 1 year contract. Owner pay the agent and nothing to do with you.

Thus most agents love high monthly rental rate like 100,000 baht and above. They get 100,000 baht commission from house owner if you rent for 1 year.

Ask yourself, will you be interested to bring customers all over the place to see houses if commission is low since rental rate is low? Cost of phone calls, check out the house first before you see to make sure it's good etc, transportation cost etc. Besides you might ask other agent to look for a house too.

2) owners of house or land has to pay 3% commission from the selling price of property and this has nothing to do with buyer.

Agents don't need private negotiations with property owner as above rules is standard and known.

Those who make side are like so call "friend's" who are not in this field.

Ask yourself first, where is your place of work because it's best to live near there as you travel daily to avoid being stuck in traffic for long hours.

If you have nothing to do at Sukhumvit or Chinatown, don't need to live near there as rental cost is high.

A small apartment in Sukhumvit road like from Soi 71 upwards will be like 7,000 baht. If you pay this amount, you can live in a terrace house outside Bangkok like across the river or Pathum Thani or fringe of Bangkok.

be careful with condo fees on electricity, i live in a townhouse in pattanakarn, its a 3 story place with probably over 300 square meters and i pay 20,000 a month for it with 2 parking spaces and balconies on every floor. Compared to a condo its a steal. I run aircon all day and all night continuously on one unit sometimes 2 at the same time. I never pay more than 2000 baht a month. Condos can be a real rip off in Bangkok, the only reason i would ever consider moving to one would be for location next to a skytrain and the swimming pool or gym.