Moving from South Africa to USA

Hi All,
Im very grateful for a site like this. My husband and I are moving from South Africa to USA mid 2014. I am so overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done that I'm not sure where to even begin with the planning. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Genevieve

Hi Genevieve,

You post is now on the Houston Forum :)

Please tell us, what would you like to understand :) ?

Best wishes and Thank you

Maximilien

Hello Genevieve,
It would be helpful to know what part of the USA you are moving to since there are some regional differences.  As well, what is/are your approximate age(s) since different things are important during different stages of life.  I would be delighted to help.  I live in the southeast USA but have traveled a fair amount both domestically and internationally. 
Sincerely,
Winter

Sounds like they are moving to Houston, Texas.  Anyone know anything about living in Houston?

I live in the Houston area. Are there any specific things I can help you with? Houston is a great area for expats to live in, because it has very strong expat communities.

I just read your profile and see that your husband is coming to study at the University of Houston. I am currently in my last semester studying for an MBA from the University of Houston-Victoria campus.

Hello I live in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee not far from Knoxville.  This area and the other side of the state border are very nice as well as safe.  If you are looking for a true community my neighbor is selling his small farm.  I could ask around and get more info as well as ask him if he is indeed selling.  Let me know and best of luck with your move to USA