Perhaps Ecuador is changing its mind about taking in foreigners?

In the last five years (or so) Ecuador has made all the top lists of international expat havens/retirement destinations--Forbes, the usual junk real estate websites, WSJ, Escape from Whatever....

And I liked Ecuador. I am a persistent person if nothing else, once I set my sights on a goal I am not easily sidetracked. Ecuador and I hit it off marvelously.

But it looks to me that a lot of the Ecuador international hype *might have been* wildly overblown. Visa ease in particular.

I am under the impression at the moment that in spite of the seeming -official- Ecuadoran government policies favoring north American immigration, that their real sentiment is rather more exclusionary. And that their ministries which implement visa procedures are roadblocking and stonewalling resident visas in a big way. Intentionally.

Of course it is their country and their call.

But I am certainly under the impression at the moment, in spite of official Ecuadoran policies and regulations, that currently acquiring permanent residency visas is in fact very difficult, and subject to the constantly changing whim of the administrators in charge of such bureaucracies.

I'm actually thinking that they've seen such an influx of foreign old people (that would be us) that they're having grave second thoughts about their investment/retirement visa qualifications, and have instructed their visa ministries to clamp down on verifications, require an infinite number of notarizations and documentary revarifications, and generally make the requisite documentation so difficult as to discourage all but the most determined, able, and wealthy applicants.

Just sayin'....

ZenSpike's experience, detailed here, would indicate otherwise.

Doesn't mean you're wrong, but his is the only recent case I know of.

Bob

Yes, of course I have been following Zen Spike's experiences day by day.

Cite me another example.

I talked to a guy in a coffee shop briefly who has been in Ecuador 3 weeks and already has his cedula.  I didnŽt get any more of the details, but obviously he and/or his attorney did most of the processing of the visa before his arrival.

From an overall big picture, long term perspective, it's kind of a catch 22 for a developing country like Ecuador is it not?

My situation is different than many on this forum in that I'm 37, and not really looking to retire anytime soon, and certainly won't qualify for a retirement visa any time in the near future. Certainly I fully understand how many of you have worked very hard, and long over the course of your lives, and are now looking for a place where your hard earned money will get more bang for the buck, and rightfully so. However, and I say this with no disrespect, and am sure it will come out sounding horrible, which is not my intention, but why would Ecuador want older retired people, many of whom are on a fixed budget? Wouldn't it make more sense to try and get the younger, and more affluent, who are more likely to invest much more into the Country over the years?

Again, am not trying to be dis-respectful at all. Only speaking from a long term perspective, and what makes more economic sense.

j600rr wrote:

... why would Ecuador want older retired people, many of whom are on a fixed budget? Wouldn't it make more sense to try and get the younger, and more affluent, who are more likely to invest much more into the Country over the years?

Younger people who would take jobs are something Ecuador doesn't need -- they have more than enough now.

Younger people who are investors are welcomed via investment visas.

I think retirees are just seen by Ecuador and some other countries as 'low-hanging fruit'. It's not tough to attract them to a low-cost country. Retirees may not offer as big a payoff as young investors, but neither do they require as much wooing, so the ROI still works out OK.

And of course pursuing the two types of immigrants is not an either/or choice -- Ecuador can (and does) seek both. It's just that thus far they have attracted far more retirees, which I think makes my point -- attracting investors/entrepreneurs is a much longer-term proposition.

And I don't find your question at all disrespectful.

Fair and valid points Bob.
Must admit personally hadn't had much intention of investing in Ecuador, but that 25k investor visa I do find tempting. Might have to take a look around for some good land on next visit.

BobH beat me to it! Ecuador's visa policies are quite rational and welcoming. If you've got a modest guaranteed income, you're in. If you can invest a modest sum ($25,000) you're in. Can't speak much about the professional visa but it appears that if you are educated with a degree from an approved university, you're in. No age restrictions that I am aware of like some countries for any visa. Where Ecuador makes it difficult is for those of low means to stay long term by border hopping like you can do so many places. And I see that as a good thing as it limits the amount of time the riff raff can stay in country. (I hope that comment hasn't offended anyone!).

All points regarding the Visa process on the positive side of the ledger are accurate. I've yet to meet with or communicate with anyone either retiring or just wishing to stay awhile who've been rejected or put off (deliberately). Fact is the Cuenca visa office goes out of the way to accommodate most ex pat Visa seekers. I'm certain many readers have seen some excellent documentation on the Cuenca office and their assistance.
As for me, I am not retired although I would qualify as a disabled guy but I chose to stay awhile and now have become involved with Ecuador's implementation of about 50 technical campus openings around the country. Most of them are predominantly in the Quito area. The schools primary focus is on automation and fluid power training, (hydraulics, pneumatics & electronic controls and programming for systems)
From my point of view, they desire folks who bring education and technical skills  to the party. The money issue and investment visa's at least to me simplify the entire visa process circumventing many of the impediments you seem to think exist. Ecuador and other countries with similar expansion issues like them want and need educated, skilled & technical types to help them grow into a viable economic and skilled country allowing them to open their markets and compete on some level globally.
That's how this ex pat sees it from outside and inside the issue.

One last comment on the country's need to grow, 30 years ago I got off a plane in Malaysia, the taxi had a government bumper sticker placed on it that said
"Automate or die". I'd have to say based on their current GNP which exceeds the USA's current level and their 25 year growth curve they went ahead and automated their country.

The Largisimo wrote:

Where Ecuador makes it difficult is for those of low means to stay long term by border hopping like you can do so many places. And I see that as a good thing as it limits the amount of time the riff raff can stay in country. (I hope that comment hasn't offended anyone!).

LOL!

Hey, I'm offended. (Not really). I've been thinking about going to Guatemala, and if I do I'll be one of the border-hopping riffraff.

Apparently (according to what I'me told) that's easier than going through their convoluted retiree process -- even though I would easily qualify.

Good luck in Guatemala! I have never been there but my impression is the crime situation in parts are very bad. If you can swing Ecuador it really is a glorious place, especially Quito. The weather is spectacular. No more machines to keep you warm or cool.

And as far as the riffraff goes, I don't know what the situation on the ground is like in the Philippines but you only need look as far as Thailand to see what easy visas attract long term.

The Largisimo wrote:

And as far as the riffraff goes, I don't know what the situation on the ground is like in the Philippines but you only need look as far as Thailand to see what easy visas attract long term.

Definitely a lot of riffraff here -- it's embarrassing at times. The border runs are longer here, though; fly to Hong Kong.

I'm afraid I was unclear about Guatemala -- Ecuador (Quito) is my most likely next stop. Quetzaltenango, Guatemala is just my leading alternative (Oaxaca, Mexico is #3). Violence, as you guessed, is the big differentiator.

But I fear we're getting way off the topic. My apologies to Gardener.

I talk to Ex Pats on a daily basis, literally, that have gone through the visas/ cedula process in a totally painless way. I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard of anyone that the process didn't go very smoothly if they had all their documentation in order.
Best Wishes..... and don't be swayed. < grin >
Neil

I talked again to the same expat I had talked to last week. This time I asked more details. He said he had all his documents in order when he arrived. Submitted them in the Cuenca office, and in two weeks he had his residency visa (pensioners). He didnŽt hire a lawyer.

We got our retirement visas in Mar 2011.  It was a bit of a hassle then as directors were getting carted off to jail and visas were put on hold.  However, that situation has been straightened out and from everyone I talk to here in Cuenca the only issue is making sure that they have all the papers.   But the process is relatively painless.

I find Ecuador's requirements for the retirement visa pretty reasonable and was pleasantly surprised to find that they offer us residents but not citizens the same perks as there own senior citizens.

Nards Barley wrote:

He didnŽt hire a lawyer.

Sigh.......

Nothing wrong with wearing a belt and suspenders.