Hungarians, what are your guilty pleasures in food

What biscuits, snacks or cookies do Hungarians buy?
What is your most popular local jam?
What breakfast item?

And I love that bit of fat? ?  sometimes with a bit of scallion served on bread at some wine cellars.  What is that, exactly?

missustoad wrote:

And I love that bit of fat? ?  sometimes with a bit of scallion served on bread at some wine cellars.  What is that, exactly?

If you mean a fatty substance spread on bread like butter, that is most likely foie gras.

It wasn't foie gras.  If it was, it was very pale.  It has a very light flavor.  Lighter than the typical foie gras.  It was very delicious!

If it looked like, and had the same color as, mashed potatoes, it is the Hungarian version. It can be mixed with butter or other fats to make it look white. I guess you can call it more of a paté than traditional foie gras.

Yes, that was it! Yummy!

Hi,

Some traditional snacks are:
"túró rudi" (<- this one is actually good),
"győri édes keksz",
"vaníliás karika".

Jams (well, probably not the exact same thing but similar, it's called "lekvár") are made from most local fruit. Apricot (barack) is great for crepes (palacsinta), prune is cooked for days into an extremely thick consistency and very intense flavor.

Maybe not fancy vine cellar food, but "libazsír" (geese lard?) fits the description otherwise. It's served on white bread with onion rings, salt, and ground red pepper (pirospaprika)

Thank you. These are a great beginning. I think the geese lard sounds like what I remember.  I will try all.

I would have to ask my Hungarian husband the exact name in Hungarian but what you had was probably something like goose grease on toast with green onion, the bottom white part of the onion.
Maybe it was bacon fat or goose grease.
Popular in old style drink bars to eat some bread with grease and onion if you are going to be drinking allot of hard booze.
Crackers, at least soda crackers I have not found sold in HU as of yet. I miss those.
You can buy ready to serve goose grease or lard in most shops. You can always buy some goose fat and skin and make your own at home. look on the internet for how to do it, there are several different ways, some with milk added and some with garlic etc. added.
I was a non red meat eater for over 30 years but since living full time in HU, I have started eating the meat products here, just a bit. Not sure if I missed out for over 30 years or not. Sometimes the meat dishes are too heavy but they are always tasty.
Almost forgot, be sure to shake a bit of salt on the grease before eating, goes nice with a cup of tea in the morning , they say it is easy on the digestion, only if you don't over do it like I sometimes do.The goose grease is addicting.