I'm attracted to Savoie and would like some feedback pls

I hope this kind of message is appropriate.

By now, having been there for about 2 years, your French should be functional.  However.....

Firstly, forgive the intrusion; I'm seriously considering coming to live in the Annecy/Chambery/Aix/Evian/Thonon area and I'd be very grateful if you could answer a few questions.

I've been living in France for some time and I know the country well.  I speak good/fluent French.

I'm attracted to Savoie for a variety of reasons; mountains, outdoors, scenic beauty and proximity to airports.

I'd be very interested to know the extent of the ex-pat community in the region.  I'm sure it's patchy but I imagine that the three big towns I've mentioned would have substantial English speaking communities.  Any information in this regard that you could provide would be most gratefully appreciated.

My intention would be to buy a house with some land - upwards of 1,000m2 - in a village within striking distance of a bigger town.  My interests are largely sporting (rugby), but I also enjoy cultural events such as music and theatrical productions. I'm also very keen on gardening. I'm presently living on my own, but am flexible as to to the future.

In light of the above, I'd be grateful if you'd venture to suggest towns/villages which might conform to my interests. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the water, given my budget of around 350,000 euros.

Again, I hope I'm not intruding too much and I look forward to hearing from you.  [email protected]

BY THE WAY, I'D BE GRATEFUL FOR REPLIES FROM ANYONE.

Kind regards

Alan Slomowitz

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Haute Savoie Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Best wishes !

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Alan,

I know this post was a while ago but I'm interested to know if you did moved and where to?
We moved from the Uk to Annecy 6 months ago. Annecy is a great location for the mountains, easy access to the airport and it's a beautiful place. Hope you've found a nice place and are settled.

Would be great to hear back from you.   
Andrea