Pekanbaru Expats???

I recently moved to Pekanbaru.  I am not part of the oil industry but I think there has been some interest for some like myself to settle here. 

Is there any expat groups active in the community?  I would like to meet other social groups here to get to know the area better.  I know the oil expat complexes are usually not very social in the indonesian community outside their own industry.  I don't know for sure but that is what I heard about those complex communities. 

I would like to see if it's true myself.  But I am not really interested in working for major companies here.  I would like to help with the education system and other projects to help build up an alternative economy and improve social standards.

I also would like to participate in some local charity or environmental projects.  If this even exists yet.  Well if you know any details would like to hear from you.

Hello there!

Welcome to Indonesia. I work in the climate change/green sector and can definitely advise on some environmental project work but am not sure whether there is any in the pekanbaru area. If you would like to swing by Jakarta please do let me know, lots of activities here! Will find out about Pekanbaru!

“I know the oil expat complexes are usually not very social in the indonesian community outside their own industry.”

And even worse, those expat communities are even less apt to integrate into local culture. 

I for one…and purely for discussion purposes only, would be very interested what particular reasons you had to settle into such a community, so dominated by oil industries and foreign expats in that industry. 

On the surface your decision seems not only noble, but also courageous.  With that in mind my best wishes for boundless good luck. 

Cheers, Roy

And good luck with your volunteer work there!

Hey everyone. I'm in Pekanbaru for one more night after a week here. Looking to get some drinks.

PM me if any interested. Not too sure where either.