Considering moving to Hanoi! Advice?

Hi Everyone!

I recently completed my CELTA certificate and I have had interviews with different companies all over Asia. For some reason, I'm really intrigued with Vietnam and I am strongly considering taking a job at Apollo English in Hanoi.

It's so hard to tell what foreigners think of it as everyone is different. The main thing that was concerning me was the "increase in crime" that people have been talking about. Has anyone noticed this? I am from New York City so I am very smart about being out. However, as a single, white foreigner who has never been to Vietnam I don't want to stand out as a target or something like that.

If anyone can post their thoughts on safety/general lifestyle in Vietnam, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

Hi Grace Hanley,

Im Vietnamese and living in Hanoi 10years without losing anything.
Here polices appear everywhere (some of them don't often wear uniform). That's why I believe Hanoi is one of safest city in the world.

People are mostly friendly. Now many young people can speak English well.

You should come here and enjoy. Welcome!

Grace,

I had recently put this somewhere, but totally forgot...  It goes something like this, even the mighty lions must prey on the aged and the injured.  They know better than to toy around with healthy animals, even the lowly gazelle.  So, you have no one, other than yourself, to worry about.

Hanoi is a city of over 7 millions.  Please don't tell me you fall into the 1% that get picked on?

Hmmmm you may wanna take a look:
[url=https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=13880]Vietnam 2013 Crime and Safety

Btw, crime rate in HN is much lower than that in HCMC, I heard so :P. My sister went there and her bag was slit open by pickpockets, one of my friends got her iPhone stolen from her hand when she just put it up to answer a call. So I'm a bit biased :)

Don't be worry, with a little bit of caution you would be fine. I also heard that the pickpocket rate here is lower than in HCM city. I feel very safe living here :)

Hello,

I come from Ha Noi. Safety is one of the things that I proud of. We have to admit that crime exists all over the world. However, it is not popular in Vietnam, especially in Hanoi. Someone meet pickpocket or be cheated somewhere. But I am sure that it's very low rate here. Dont' worry about security  and politics in Vietnam.

Regarding the lifestyle, it varies between the young and old generation. However, family is indispensable in their life. It still exist extended family with 2 or 3 generations living in the same house. People work hard during the day. In the evening, they spend time for family or go out with friends. There are many night activities to join, such as cinema, music show, cafe, bar or walking and enjoy street foods,...  You will meet many kind and hospitable citizen.

Are you still consider between Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh? Maybe life in HCM is much familiar to your life in NY. It is more crowded and dynamic. It never sleeps. Many activities during the night. In my part, I like to live in Ha Noi as it's more peaceful with 4 seasons in the year and I get much sharing from other people here :)You have your own choice. I hope that you will have unforgettable time in Vietnam whatever it's HN or HCM :)

I am a director at a skills training center that teaches The Vietnamese to better communicate with foreigners and handle cultural differences.

As a Single White female, you have nearly nothing to fear.  You're most likely be seen as a novelty and if you are open-minded and friendly, they will love you right away. However, be ready for very intrusive and 'inappropriate' questions - this part may make you go stir crazy eventually. 

I love Hanoi and though I have had over several $1,000s stolen in 5 years, its been because I trust too much or have not always been savvy when I should have been.  Keep a close eye on your money at all times and never go out with more than $25 (or equivalent in VN currency).  If you go out and have a few drinks, be sure you guard your drink - there have been cases of drugging.

Transportation is quite hectic and be aware that know one obeys traffic laws.  Accidents are common to those who don't stay aware of what can happen at any moment.

Find friends who can help you survive your first weeks. My organization actually has a 'buddy' service that pairs you with a VN student, eager to help you find your way while settling.  Expats, especially females, find it quite easy to bond.  There are a number of groups to join making your stay in this fascinating place quite pleasant.

Good Luck!  If you need help, let me know.  I orientate several new teachers when they arrive.

Robert
UNESCO- Vietnam

very glad to know your intention. dont forget to enjoy tet holiday in hanoi, taste Chung cake, peach blossom and kumquat,... in saigon they dont have.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.
Dont worry. You will be ok

No need to worry in term of violence as long as you stay cool but be careful with little thieves.