Citizenship in Macedonia

Hello all,

I'm an American married to a Macedonian and living here in Skopje.  I'm working and have hit the one year mark (woo hoo)!  I am definitely wanting to stick around but I do have a question regarding citizenship.  How long do you have to be here or be married to apply for dual citizen ship here?  It is a possible consideration :)  Thanks in advance!

Hi P. Coops,

Have you try a search on Google regarding Dual citizenship Macedonia or on the Travel.state.gov :) ?

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

I got mine here recently and the rules at the time were that one must have been resident here for 3 years. 3 years from the time I first registered under my foreign visitors ID.  Many of my fellow expats seem to simply stay under a 10 year ID. You lose the protection of your embassy to a great extent after becoming a citizen.

Very little information about these things can be reliably found on google when it comes to macedonia.

I'll just make it simple, 3 years living in Macedonia legally ofcourse is what you need to gain Macedonian citizenship. You could also gain Macedonian by being married to a Macedonian outside of the country but it would take up to 7 years.

I know it's been almost a yet since you posted this but I am also an American married to a macedonian and I am having trouble getting a visa here in macedonia.. Did you figure it out?

Hi Tiffluvskoki,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Albanian gave some information concerning the residence permit in Macedonia above

Albanian wrote:

I'll just make it simple, 3 years living in Macedonia legally of course is what you need to gain Macedonian citizenship. You could also gain Macedonian by being married to a Macedonian outside of the country but it would take up to 7 years.

However, if this is not the information you are looking for or need additional information, I suggest that you start a new topic on the Macedonia forum as just as you have noticed, this is an old thread from the year 2013 and it is probable that you won't get any reply. Do try to include some more details (as much as you wish to share of course) to help the other members in giving you more accurate information.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Thank you I will post a new topic :)