IT Job offer - Is it feasible to accomodate family status?

Dear friends,

I am IT job seeker (6+ MNC exp in India) in Gulf and has been offered 15K SAR per month. This doesn't include Transportation, Food and Housing. I am married and with a kid of 2.5 years.

Can i go for this offer? I can't drive and it is going to be rented cars for the years.

Probably - the job location will be Riyadh.

Please advise.

Thanks

All i can advise is salary is not very bad for 6 yrs of experience... But nothing to rave about as well... so u need to look at other factors...career growth is not much for expats here... u need to look at if ur current skils and this job, will build enuf oppurtunity for u to exit in future 2-3 years down the line or not... Living expenses -
1. Housing SAR 20-35K per annum payable in 2 installments
2. Initial set up expenses of abt 8-12K
3. Thereon Monthly expenses wud be max abt 3-4K

rest is pretty much saving...

These threads are getting sickening.

For an supposed IT professional your analytical skills are very weak, not to say your handle on the problem is totally wrong.

Salary / life style / blah blah and blah are all RELATIVE, these are subjective and depends on the individual themselves.

If i told you i resigned a 23K + perks job in 3 months would that deter you from accepting this offer ?

will you accept your present offer if some one claimed to be happy making 6K a month ?

It all depends on your life style, and what you can accept / imagine to be.

use the search feature of the forum; there is a plethora of information which you can use.

The thread is to seek information and nothing to argue in that perspective. If you are not interested to share things, please need not spell your comments.

Thanks

misiraj wrote:

Dear friends,

I am IT job seeker (6+ MNC exp in India) in Gulf and has been offered 15K SAR per month. This doesn't include Transportation, Food and Housing. I am married and with a kid of 2.5 years.

Can i go for this offer? I can't drive and it is going to be rented cars for the years.

Probably - the job location will be Riyadh.

Please advise.

Thanks

Your career shall be limited here.. No matter what firm you work for.

I understand your basic is 15k SAR. If this is the case you would be getting about 20k SAR a month (based on housing x3 basic + transportation 10% of basic).

If the above given figure is right, you should move over for few years. Not only the money is decent, it will be easy money!

Considering the negotiation culture here you should be able to negotiate your package which should get you about a grand or two extra.

Hope this helps.

misiraj wrote:

The thread is to seek information and nothing to argue in that perspective. If you are not interested to share things, please need not spell your comments.

Thanks

Help is precisely what I believe I provided you with.

Did you read or better "understand" what I wrote ?

Thank you on the explanation.
It is 15K SAR as a whole monthly package. It includes every thing. In this case, will this be a good choice?

Can you throw some light on the yearly or the increments in the salary?

Regards,
Siraj

misiraj wrote:

Thank you on the explanation.
It is 15K SAR as a whole monthly package. It includes every thing. In this case, will this be a good choice?

Can you throw some light on the yearly or the increments in the salary?

Regards,
Siraj

Yearly increments varies from firm to firm. Decent firms offer 10% increment based on performance and you also get bonuses. Whereas many might not give away extra penny.

15k SAR is not a bad start as long as you are promised annual increment. I must tell you in Saudi if you are earning over 14,999 SAR you are considered as high income class, as majority (esp expats) are struggling to break 10,000 SAR barrier.

Once you have the house up and runnning, depending on your life-style you should be able to save about 7k SAR monthly, which isnt bad.

salman108 wrote:
misiraj wrote:

Thanks

Help is precisely what I believe I provided you with.

Did you read or better "understand" what I wrote ?

You got personal with Misiraj and now you are blowing it all back. You do expect bit of retaliation when you give out sh*t like this.

Just let it go.

and I thought only the OP was "not very intelligent" :)

@sh3hryr you said
"15k SAR is not a bad start as long as you are promised annual increment. I must tell you in Saudi if you are earning over 14,999 SAR you are considered as high income class, as majority (esp expats) are struggling to break 10,000 SAR barrier."

How do you know 15 is not a bad start ?
does OP like to wear Armani suits ?
Does the OP like to wear Stefano Ricci ties ?
Does the OP like to dine out, 5 star every day ?
Does the OP like to live in Hara ? Shamesi ? or Ollaya or Yasmin ?
Does the OP prefer basic 2 bedroom apartment, or the OP needs furnished villa with a swimming pool ?

depending on how you answer above, would 15K be enough ?

Did you "assume" that the OP has no taste for finer things in life ?

If you did, isn't that a bad things, since you are judging and being overly pretentious ?

It will help to read carefully what I am trying to explain the OP, which is "salary fulfillment is purely subjective matter and depends on his/her life style ONLY !"

@sammy
I am not going to dignify you will a response.

@salman108,
People register on this blog to ask questions from settled and/or knowledgeable expats. They don't come here to listen to lectures on relativetly theory like you've come up with. Nor they expect from you to comment on their analytical or problem handling skills. You're really no one to judge anyone...accept that.

If the 'relativetly' has to be THAT important as you are signifying it to be, most of stats in the world must NOT exist because after all almost everything is relative to something else.

Please don't sicken the thread anymore.

I agree with @sh3hryar on everything he has said above. :one

@misiraj,
Let us know if you've other questions. We'll be glad to help.

Salman its not what you say, its how you say it. Everyone is entitled to put in his/her suggestion/remark but going personal is completely out of order.

If I were you I would learn from it, apologise and move on.

Enough said.

Hi Siraj,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Hope you got answers to your questions. :) If you have other questions please do not hesitate to ask here.

Also i invite you to view other topics on the Riyadh forum, you may find some useful informations. ;)

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

Hi All,

After an year - i have got the Visa ready. I would like to hear on the Package (15K) is good to continue since i have one more year experience included in my belt. What does Family status actually mean?

How about Public transportation and life without car. Can it be feasible to survive or rending a taxi would be much expensive?

Thanks

You will be able to live comfortably, on 15K a year, how much you save depends on your lifestyle. The comments others have made on expenses are pretty accurate.

Life without a car, specially with the family will be very difficult, there are lots of taxis available in Riyadh, and not that expensive either, but personally, i would strongly recommend you to buy/lease a car. Cars and Fuel here are very cheap, and you would end up saving money in the long run.

If you dont already have a driving license in Riyadh, pls make one, it will be easier for you to get a license here if you already have one.

Good luck!

@shezx :
I am not getting your reply completely. My queries are:

I would like to hear on the Package (15K per Month) is good to go with? I have 7+ years of IT experience with MNC in India.

What does Family status actually mean?

How about Public transportation and life without car - Is it expensive?.

Can it be feasible to survive or rending a taxi would be much expensive?

I have heard of packages ranging from 8k to 40+k, depending on nationality, type of IT experience, IT specialty, etc.  15k is a very good salary in Saudi, but how it compares to other Indians in similar positions with similar quantity and quality of experience, very hard to answer unless you come across one.

Family status means you are allowed to bring your family here as your dependents.

Cars here are a necessity, not a luxury.  Even secretaries have cars.  No one earning above 5k does not have a car, especially no one earning 15k.  You will NEED a car, as there is no public transport to speak of, and Saudi cities are not made for walking  They are making a metro system, but it won't be ready for a few years.

If you are alone, you can take taxis, but you wouldn't want to subject your wife and small child to that.  The taxis are smelly, and they drive like crazy.  Renting a car can be done for 2,500 per month, for a Hyundai Accent.  Might as well buy a used Camry (most popular and reliable car in Saudi, and with highest resale value) for 40-50k from a used car dealership (possible on installments), or a new car paying around 1-1.5k per month for 5 years for a basic Japanese sedan such as Yaris, Corolla, or Civic.

Honestly if you have a set lifestyle and happy there, stay there. Your child will go to school and good schools are expensive here.

There is NO public transport. taxis are not cheap but not deadly expensive. round trip to you office will cost between 40-80 SR a day depending on how far it is.
if you want to drive and if you rent cars you will pay at least 2000 a month. plus you have to wait till you get the license here.

i would advise you to aim for 18k at least. rest is up to you. i tend to spend a lot on food and tv and internet etc so maybe your cost of living will be less.