Introduce yourself HERE!

Hello my name is Liza. I am retiring in two months and have decided to make my new home in Santo Domingo. Very excited but a little scared of the unknown. I want to move in early December this year. Don't have a place yet. I need a school for my boys 11 and 13. Planner has been helping me out alot! Any information like prices for schools would be great to have.  I don't want expensive schools this doesn't guarantee they are the best. Plus this is the reason I am moving to this country I want my retirement pay to go along way so that I can spend time with my kids without working.  I am a single parent! Nice to hear any info....liza

Welcome to the site Liza!!!!

Liza welcome.  Where are you moving from?
We came here to retire 8+ years ago from Colorado USA

Bob K

Hello;
I am in Central Illinois and recently retired from manufacturing. I have lived in the Philippines for 4 months, and returned. In June and July, I attended a Spanish language school in Sosua, DR.   I returned to Illinois to take care of some personal issues, and will return to the DR in a week or two. I want to live in the DR long term.  I WOULD LIKE TO find a furnished 2 bedroom apartment online prior to my arrival. Perhaps in Puerto Plata, Sosua, or Cabarate.  My price range is around $450.

c1wayus
Welcome to the forum.  Finding an apartment at this time of year should be pretty easy but most apartments for rent are not advertised and if they are who knows where they are advertising.  Your best bet is to walk the streets and find an apartment when you are here.

BObK

Welcome to the forum.  Bob is right few places are advertised online. Your best bet is to walk or drive around the areas you are interested in!  Ask around for good safe areas.

C1wayus: I have a 2 BR in Puerto Chiquito.
4-5 km west of Sosua.
Interested?
Tom.

I guess it is my turn to introduce myself now.. I have been living in the US for 31 years now, an expat from France, right from the suburbs of Paris. My better half is also French and we met by accident on a supermarket parking lot In Louisville, KY.  Our objective is to retire in 10 years . We love the Caribbean .. the sun, the sea, the food, the culture  and the relax atmosphere . Real Estate  is still very affordable in DR and your retirement money can go a longer way than in the US.   Looking forward to join the expat community part time next year after buying our condo.

Welcome thanks for a bit of your story!  I am Canadian, but ive been here almost 11 years. I spent 7 years on the north coast and now 4 years in Santo Domingo.

Welcome to the forum officially.

We look forward to having the two of you join our community.

Bob K

Although I've been reading the DR forum for some time now, I don't think I've actually introduced myself. On my first visit about 10 years ago I absolutely fell in love with the Dominican Republic and the people there.  Since then my goal and plans have been to retire or move there should I be able to before retirement. I visit at least once a year and have found that the North Coast appeals to me most, as I am not really a big city person. Currently I work in Atlanta, GA and live in a suburb of it.  For 3 years I've been attempting to learn to speak and understand Spanish, but making very little progress.

Since I brought that up, can anyone recommend a good Spanish language school near Sosua/Cabarete?

Welcome to the forums!!!!  Best way to learn spanish is to immerse yourself in it!!!!  I am sure that is what you would love to do!

Welcome to the  forum.  My wife and I settled into the Sosua/Cabarete area 8+ years ago full time and have not looked back for a second.
There are multiple schools here in Sosua but your best bet is just to immerse yourself in it.
When you visit to you rent a condo or stay at AI resorts and how long a trip do you take when coming down?
Feel free to ask any questions and again officially welcome

Bob K

Thanks for the welcome.

I've done classes here in Atlanta and multiple learn in your car or other audio programs.  I believe you're right it's gonna take immersion. 

Bobk to answer your questions, I have stayed in AI resorts, but lately have rented condos or stayed in smaller hotels. Most past trips have been 7-10 days.  But starting 2015 I'll begin doing 2-3 weeks stretches, with at least one week on my own. I know I shouldn't blame them but my non-Spanish speaking friends are holding me back!

Why are they holding  you back?
I am glad you are planning on a 3 weeker or two.  This will give you a glimpse of what it is like to "live" here.

Bob K

Hello Friends: I plan to retire in June after 30 years in law. I am originally for North Carolina but have lived in Conn. most of my life. I still have family I N.C. and visit there regularly.I am fascinated with what I have read about Semana  and especially the North Carolina connection. a I would love to relocate there at least for a year to do more research ,enjoy the beach  and improve my Spanish . My new retirement plan includes my 4 year old grand niece whom I have custody of so I need to figure out how to educate her. I have visited the Dominican Republic twice before; Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. Loved the beaches. Is it relatively safe there? Is there good elementary school  nearby or do you home school? Is this a good cultural hub with lots of music etc? Where do I start? Who do I contact re rental property? where do I go to get permission to stay in the country for a year? I plan to visit in the near future to check it out.

It just that I usually travel with friends that speak no Spanish so I'm speaking mostly English while there. Because they're not trying to learn Spanish too, they sometimes don't have patience while I try to communicate.  It seems that in shops or restaurants when one person is speaking English (my friend) and the other is speaking mangled Spanish (me) the real Spanish speaker tends to use English if they speak it. 

Honestly it's probably not my friends. It's my very limited and bad Spanish.

Welcome Curtco! Wow you have a plan.  First start reading the various threads. It will give you an idea of how things work.  Read the daily life for our insights into what it is really like.  Ask plenty of questions here, either in those threads or start your own!  We are here to help you and gosh darn it I think we do a pretty good job.... LOL

OOMMMA
Don't let them hold you back.  You will do fine with your Spanglish to start.  You need to take the plunge

Bob k

Welcome Curtco,

Before you make any decision you need to come visit for a couple of months, explore the area, schools, shopping, infrastructure, and see if it "fits" for you.  It does not work for everyone.  Living here is vastly different that taking a vacation here.

There are lots of Private schools about some much better than others.  Public school here is basically a joke and do not even consider that as an option.

How much of an Expat community will you need?

There are lots of folks here on this forum with lots of information.  So basically just ask a way.

Bob K

Hello: Just wondering why u chose Semana?

Very interesting to note that a single woman lives in Santo Domingo? How do you move around without being harassed?

Thank you Bob K and Darlene.. If I remember well... AKA Planner !

I love living in Santo Domingo. It is easier here in many ways. I explain this way -  on the north coast I was a Gringa but here I am an extranjera!.  So much more of a target there. Here I am just an expat,  living and working.

I use regular safety precautions, I don't carry a lot of money or flash valuables. I do not go out alone at night unless i  am in a taxi.  I do not drive alone at night either (thus the need for taxi)   I live in a typical middle class neighborhood where all of us look out for each other and I am the only expat around.....LOL

Planner.. you stole my answer ! as an ex- language teacher, I agree that full immersion is always the best  and fastest way to learn the language .

And often the most fun!!!!   :D

absolutely !

Where have you chosen to live in D.R.? I am not yet an expat but planning to do so as a single woman with a child. would love to keep up with your adventures to get the benefit of your experiences. I am from Hartford, Ct.

Where have you chosen to live in D.R.? I am not yet an expat but planning to do so as a single woman with a child. would love to keep up with your adventures to get the benefit of your experiences. I am from Hartford, Ct.

I am in Santo Domingo.

Bob is in Sosua.

Others add your name and location if you choose.

Would not consider anywhere else but the north coast.

Bob K

I'm with you Bob! :)

Love reading all the forums and gaining insight to DR life. I have visited Las Galera, Las Terrenas, Santo Domingo, Santiago and Cabarete/Sosua. We were engaged at the Castle Club and came back and married at Hideaway Beach over 2 years ago. We visited Cabarete twice last year, have been there already for 8 days a few months ago and are returning in November for 21 nights and can't wait to get back. We are strongly considering a permanent move to Cabarete next year either just before or just after Holy week. I have a few questions that I need some help with although they may seem silly ones! Where is the best place to ask, start a new topic? Thanks all in advance and thanks for all the information I have discovered on the site so far.

Welcome to the forum. There is lots of great information here for you

Yes just start a new subject line and we will do what we can to get you the information you want.  As I used to tell my students many years ago the only stupid or silly question is the you ask but already know the answer.

Again Welcome

Bob K

please explain

Thanks Bob

welcome to the forums!!!  Sounds like you have already started reading, if you don't find your questions or a general subject, start a new thread and we will help find you some answers!

You are welcome.  Ask away

Bob K

Well we are off for one of our "mini escapes" for the next 5 days.  We will be at the Life Styles resort in PP.  My internet access maybe limited so I may not post as much till late in the week.

In the mean time "all  you all" (Tennessee speak) be safe and enjoy.

Bob K

Enjoy Bob!!!!

Closed