Sites for cheap apartments in Costa Rica

Hello all,
Does anyone know any newspaper of sites for renting apartments for cheap in Costa Rica specifically in the area of Limon.
Thanks

teachdejaD

You can look at encuentra24[dot]com. However, I do not suggest living in Limon under any circumstance. If you are referring to Puerto Viejo, Cocles or Cahuita, then,  it will not be hard to find some low cost places to live.

OLS, why not Limon?

Soy,

Limon is both a city and a province. The province has beautiful landscape but the city is awful. However, I would not recommend living in Limon overall, it is not safe.

I would stay away from the following towns, Limon proper, Guapiles, Cariari, and Matina. Generally, this towns are not a safe place to live. If somebody wants to live in the Caribbean coast I would recommend Puerto Viejo, Cocles, Manzanillo, Cahuita, as they are a little safer.

The city of Limón used to be a beautiful city even back in the 80s. When I was a child, my family used to spend the summer vacations in Moin in a beach front creole townhouse type of property. Down town Limon looked to me like New Orleans. The architecture on the one hand, and the people on the other hand, gave Limón a unique atmosphere, which made it delightful to visit the town with the great music, food, art and friends.

Unfortunately, after the earthquake of 1991, the city was devastated with a lot of damage to the buildings and public infrastructure. The event sent the city back a few years and the apathetic policies of the central government has made the province a very poor place with very high unemployment rate and very few opportunities for people to grow which coupled with pathetic law enforcement has driven the area to crime.

Today, I am an attorney and my job is to protect my clients and their investments. I have had several clients interested in buying property in the Southern Caribbean (Puerto Viejo, Cocles, Cahuita) and they always wind up looking into other areas. The main issues that we have found in the Southern Caribbean is crime, corruption and fraud. There has not been a single property that we have looked into that did not have a problem. I cannot suggest my clients to buy into problems.

Although, I am a risk taker, Limón is not an area where I put my chips in, nor could I suggest other people to do so. It is unfortunate, because as I said, the area is gorgeous and a great deal of people are awesome, but the bad apples are really affecting the basket overall. My family still has property, but in the Southern Caribbean, and every now and then we spend a weekend there, but they are looking forward to sell.

Hopefully, things will change for the good soon, but I cannot suggest people to sit around and wait in ticking bomb.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Dear OLS (Raphael),
Thank you so much for your sincere and informative response. Coming from someone with your background I believe every word you say. Limon in the 80's sounds like a dream... I hope things will get better.
As Costa Rica is a large country I guess it's a better bet to focus on other areas. Thanks again!

Soy wrote:

OLS, why not Limon?

Why not Limon, city of Limon, read the article "Drugs drive rising homicide rates in Costa Rica" in the Tico Times (Ticotimes.net).

- Dave

I have been getting comments from many clients and friends around the country (apart from Limon) about crimes not being reported in the news. Again, I am curious about the accuracy of crime statistics.
If know about homicides and violent crimes in your community, please send me an email at [email protected] I would like to keep track of them.

why do you feel these other towns are better(or safer) than Puerto Limon???

Got you arnswers.  thanks