Considering moving to Bali

I am considering moving to Bali and would like some information on what is required, (IE paper work visa etc)and how to find accommodation long term. Preferably a villa to share with other people.

Hi Sue,buzzand woody.,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You can find some useful info on this article : Indonesia visa.

For your accommodation search, please post an ad in the housing in Bali section. It can help.

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

If you are even semi-serious about moving to Bali, then come here for a few months and take a "trial run."

The vast majority of expats who show up here without doing their homework end up leaving...thus the immigration requirement for a return ticket upon entry.

I am very serious about moving to Bali, I have holidayed there 11 times over the past 6 years and aside from the accommodation issue I'm reasonably good to go, thanks for your concern though.

Most often the best deals and best homes are found by word of mouth and networking with local expats in the area of Bali that you want to call home.

With that in mind it's best to come over and take a long stay in a moderate hotel or homestay while you get to know the area and the people, both the locals and the expats already living in that area.

If you don't want to take it slow and easy, then just like anywhere else, find realtors,  look in the classifieds of the local English language papers like The Bali Advertiser and the Bali Times and search the internet.  Properties here that are available for long term lease or outright sale generally do not have signs posted out front.   

I guarantee that you will find that the holiday experience of Bali is considerably different than the experience of living here. 

As for visas, you might consider starting out with a 60 day visit visa which can be extended at any of the three immigration offices on Bali up to four times, each time good for an additional 30 days, and then move on to a temporary residence visa called a KITAS visa.   

Good luck.

Hi Sue, I am also thinking of moving to Bali in the new year, I have contacted a few people about accomadation and would definitely be interested in sharing with some one that way getting a bigger and better place. I will keep a look out for your posts, Vicki from gold coast

Hi Vicki,
Thanks for you reply, I am in total agreement, my plans are to move in the New Year (2014) have you got a time frame at this stage and do you have an area where you plan to live?.
Regards,Sue.

Hi again Vicki, sorry I just reread your post and apologise for not reading the part about the new year, so obviously our timing is the same, so maybe we can chat further.
Regards,
Sue.

you can email me if you like at [email protected]