Cost of living in Al Madinah

Hi!
My husband and I are moving to Al-Madinah in September, insyaAllah. However, we have hardly information on living there. We'd like to know how much would be the living cost monthly (including dine-out maybe once a week), etc. What type of accomodation can we get for 17 thousands riyals? Can women go out for shopping alone, or do we have to accompanied by our husband at all times?
Waiting for the helpfull answers, thank you so much.

17K per annum may fetch you a small apartment in Madinah.
Basic Cps of living for all other requirements may sum up to, approx, SR 5K per month at least for 3 people

Thats very nice..to live in the city of the Prophet.

My work colleagues is originally from Madina and he does go back regularly.

As it is smaller city compared to Riyadh and Jeddah, its significantly cheaper. His estimate is that:_

17K SR you should be able to find a nice apartment.

Living costs around 3k max per month. (although you can survive easily on 1K to 2K - its apparently 40% to 50% cheaper than Riyadh)

You can go shopping alone, but it is prefarable to either go with hubby or with other females.

You have to be covered whenever you go out. (head covering is not compulsory in Riyadh but it is in Madinah)

Weather is very pleasant during summer will be chilly in the winter.

I have found it to be a very calm and peaceful place whenever I have visited.

enjoy!

yep, agree, you cud live on about SR 3K per month but that would be being very frugal. you may wanna keep around SR 250 per week for other miscellaneous expenses.

Thank you very much for the information. My husband and I met someone who worked there 3 years ago and he said we could get a villa for that price. I guess the price must be up by now then :(. As for the living cost, then it's not very much diifference with the living cost in UAE.
Can I ask about the safety there? And where do famillies go for quality time on the weekend?
Thanx again!

hey julia...to be frank, Madina is the best place in saudi arabia to stay, according to me. theres some kinda peace there. u can feel it as soon as u r in that city. i m sure u can get a very nice apartment in that amount. as for safety, i cant say much. for quality time on weekends, families drive down to jeddah.
and just for information, only muslims are allowed to enter madina. i m a bit confused with ur name

She's may be a converted woman.
In Europe, we have more and more converted people.

shahab.ali wrote:

hey julia...to be frank, Madina is the best place in saudi arabia to stay, according to me. theres some kinda peace there. u can feel it as soon as u r in that city. i m sure u can get a very nice apartment in that amount. as for safety, i cant say much. for quality time on weekends, families drive down to jeddah.
and just for information, only muslims are allowed to enter madina. i m a bit confused with ur name

julia arungan wrote:

Thank you very much for the information. My husband and I met someone who worked there 3 years ago and he said we could get a villa for that price. I guess the price must be up by now then :(. As for the living cost, then it's not very much diifference with the living cost in UAE.
Can I ask about the safety there? And where do famillies go for quality time on the weekend?
Thanx again!

Julia,

The cost of living in Madinah is a lot cheaper than UAE (Dubai).

Safety - as safe as most places in KSA.

Weekends - Jeddah is an easy drive, also Madinah has an airport should you wish to go for a short break.

And Shabab is correct, its the most peaceful place.

You will enjoy it.

I spent 6 lovely months in Madinah implementing a Hospital Information System for Madinah nationalk Hospital in 1989 and I have to say they were the most peaceful nights I have ever spent in all my life. The people of the city were also most kind and benevolent to me as an expat much more than all the rest in the other citries across 3 decades.

I wish I could go back there again to rest my weary limbs and also complete my reign on earth.

SaudiUK wrote:

Hey saudi...i might be a shabab but my name is SHAHAB!

shahab.ali wrote:
SaudiUK wrote:

Hey saudi...i might be a shabab but my name is SHAHAB!

Apologies Shahab!

first you are 'others' and now you're shabab :lol:

You probably have never heard of the comedian Rodney Dangerfield, but the punchline of much of his standup comedy was that he didn't get any respect.

I think YOU can claim the same, shahab.ali!  lol

ya...this thing is a bit embarrassing now ;) lol

Thanx a lot guys :). BTW, I couldn't help but giggling about the comments on my name. It's not the first time. Thatz ok. What is in name. Rasulullah SAW didn't ask Bilal to change his name into Arabic one to make it sound more 'Islamic'. Forgive me, I don't mean to sound rude or anything by that comment, but I believe Allah sees someone in his/her heart, not in his/her name ;).

ya julia but bilal is an arabic name!

Ok, Shahab. Got the msg, hehehe.....

Actually Shahab,
My wife's point about Bilal was the origin of his name at the time of the Prophet sws, not about his name today. Bilal has come to be an Arabic name as has Salman but, although it was Simitic, the man came from Abyssinya (modern Ethiopia). So,it was not an Arabic name then. Any name that is virtuous is fit for Islam.... so if a girl has the name Grace and enters Islam she does not need to "translate" it into Arab (Rahman) for her to be a Muslim. On the other hand if our Sri Lankan friend has the name Lingam (meaning sexual reproductive organs) converts to Islam, then that would be unfitting for a Muslim so he would need to change it.

My name was Ryan James before I converted. It does not need to change as the name Ryan can mean the heavenly gate for people who fast, and James is Latin for Yaqub. Both are nobel names (I believe).

: )

Salam

Hello ryan...nice to see u in here. thanks for the info and ya, even i used to say "wats in a name" wen i was in school. later i realized that its all in the name! lol, sounds funny, right? the name gives u an identity. so its kinda better to have a name which suits one family, religion or watever identity one needs...
well, leave all the things aside and welcome to saudi arabia!

well the cost of living in the whole of saudi arabia madinah is very favourable and better for its value of wealth seems more blessed to such that a student like myself can feel it.

coming to names well  as every good name is an islamic name no matter the language however at times we turn to choose popular arabic names of sahabah so that we may imitate their goodness and living according to the islamic law on its true bases .as for name bilaal was arabic is still arabic despite the origin of bilaal (r.a) the only man who stand on top of holy ka'abah during the time of holy prophet (s.a.w).

as for Ryan is not the same word for doors of paradise however i don`t see any point in mentioning  it that way as long as it has a good meaning then its islamic name. 

back to the topic- madinah is most peaceful and lovely place to be and it has affordable cost of living compared to any where  here in kingdom and most of the people here have trust even if they are selling something to you
point to note:most
by the way its for muslims only for it is sacred

Point of clarification 1: There is no compulsion on someone entering Islam to change their name as long as their name has a good meaning, and it doesn't sound like a negative/bad word in Arabic.

Point of clarification 2: The airport, the university (Taibah University), and a few small areas are considered to be outside the sacred city limits.  And so, there *are* non-Muslim Western lecturers and professors at the university.  They are allowed to be in the non-sacred outskirts of Madinah, but they can't enter the sacred limits, which includes nearly the whole city which we know as Madinah.

Note to bro ali: Can you please tell us why you are giving advice on a topic which is 4 years old? :)

:) it may have been that long trap but its impact last  and many will just even come and read it actual its a revival of the topic :cheers:

:top:

This post is old, but I've been offered to work in Madinah by my company. I tried researching about housing and schools but couldn't find enough info to be able to make an informed decision. Is there anyone on this forum from Madinah living with family that can share his/her experience?

What's the rent of an apartment with 5 rooms in close vicinity of Masjid Al Nabawi?

Are there good international schools with IGCSE curriculum?

What you need here in Madinah tell

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share Phone numbers on the public forum

I would like to get an English teaching position in Saudi Arabia if anyone can please help me. I've got a Bachelor degree in English(Linguistics) and a TESOL certificate. However, I've just graduated this year from university. My husband is a student at Madinah. Thank you!

All the best,

Hello there Arrahman,

You should drop an advert in the jobs section here : https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/middle-ea … ia/jeddah/

All the best,
Bhavna

I am eagerly looking for a job in Saudi Arabia. Especially Madeena is my loved place in this world. I would like to settle there. if anyone can help me to find a job in Madeena or close it.