Activity group (Basketball, scuba, running, cafe's)

Hi all,

Kuwait can be a bit boring if you are alone. So, I had an idea few months ago to post in public forums about putting a basketball team together, every Friday morning, surprisingly a lot of people showed up and it was a huge success.

Now am planning to take this into a next level where more people are welcome to show up, mix up and it's a great opportunity to have fun and meet some wonderful people.

Here is list of activity that I came up with:

1) Basketball: every Friday morning 8:00 AM for two hours we can play as many as 40 players into teams and winner will last. No one is professional and everyone is there just to have some fun.

2) Running: Jogging with a group can be a lot of fun and very challenging. Currently, we are 3 jogging from 7PM till 8PM at Salmyah accept for the weekend's.

3) Scuba Diving: Not done this yet, but once an interested group is put together I can contact a friend he works in one of those diving center to get a package for a big group and we can do this on a weekend since the weather nowadays is really nice to do so.

4) Chill outs: Every Saturday morning and/or Friday night we get together in a different coffee shop. Meet new folks, talk about what's new and swap stories.

I think we can suggest more activities as we go. All these activites can have people from all ages, eventually we are doing this for fun.

If you like the idea message me your details. Right now am thinking of creating a mailing list or a group on facebook so we can post all the activities we are about to do or have in mind.

Cheers,
Mo

Hi Mr Maghrebi Can you tell me where is this basketball held on Friday morning?Can Expatriates come?Thanks

Yes jacob101, everyone is welcome no exceptions. Last couple weeks we went to Marina basketball court where mornings are less crowded but we plan on going else where in a closed court, specially that its getting more hot by the day.

If you would like to be in the basketball loop please message me your email so I can send you this week's plan in regard of basketball only.

I stick this discussion ;)

What about dancing? Is anyone interested in latin dances?

4) Chill outs: Every Saturday morning and/or Friday night we get together in a different coffee shop. Meet new folks, talk about what's new and swap stories.

sounds interesting to me :-)

@Julien: Thanks for sticking the thread mate.

@Denizkizi: There is a center somewhere near Hilton or in Hilton. Not really into dancing so I don't know what exactly they teach down there. I think I still got their number somewhere, If you want too I could pass it to you.

@Tom02: I already got your contact and I will broadcast an email & SMS a day before. I hope to see you in tomorrow's jog though,

I hope that more people will join in this activity group. If any one out there into dancing, I guess they can say so to work on a group for that. If anyone has any more suggestions or idea please shoot!

I'd love to go jogging with you but:

a) currently stuck in Hawalli with no transportation

b) Start work at 7.30 and it's at least 30 mins drive.

So, can only really do weekends....

Will be jogging tomorrow morning from Hawalli to Marina and back (if I don't die of sunstroke!!!)

Once I get transportation (God knows when!) I'd like to maybe join some of your other activities...

All the best,

Patrick

Hi Mo,

What is the last news now? Are there so many people interested in the activity groups?

@Britpat: Sure mate, tomorrow we got Basketball at 8AM. Last week's game was extremely nice around 5 people showed up. Tomorrow am expecting around 8.

@Denizkizi: Well, so far there been people sending me messages and for example in yesterday's jog someone new joined. Some only showed interest in hanging out in cafe's which we have not done yet. What about you? did you get any where with the dancing lessons? Did you find any good places to go for that around here?

Nobody answered me about dancing. I think the people who live in Kuwait don't like dancing so much. :)

@Jacob: I noted your email down. I will send you invitation soon so you can look at what activities we thinking of.

@Denizkizi: Am sorry to hear that. Are you in Philadelphia or Kuwait?

Folks, am working on a google calendar with all the events to be there. We can add more things as we go and split it into groups, whoever sent me his email already will receive an invite.

Here is a link to the Calendar

BTW, you can enable notifications on your profile so you will receive SMS's or/and emails for any modification or new events added.

I am in Philadelphia now, but I will be in Kuwait soon.By the way, how can I enable notification on my profile so that I can receive the last news about the groups?

Denizkizi wrote:

I am in Philadelphia now, but I will be in Kuwait soon.By the way, how can I enable notification on my profile so that I can receive the last news about the groups?

Good question. I think, you can do that from your google calendar profile. You will need to go in somewhere in the settings and then enable either email or SMS notification for that.

Nonetheless, you will need to get subscriber in some calendar in order to do that or receive an invitation. If you want, you can message me your email and I will send you an invite and you can carry on from there.

I read about Salsa lessons at the Hilton Resort on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 to 9 PM. Beginner and intermediate lessons are on Sundays and Tuesdays. Thursdays are advanced lessons. I don't know any phone numbers or any other info.

Just taken a look at the calendar and you have jogging down from 17.30. I thought you said earlier that it started later than that....just wondering really but I definitely could not make 17.30 but might if it were later.

Cheers,

Patrick

@Patrick: What time you said you could make it? I remember you said something about not having transportation. Is that solved now?

Yep. Transportation is solved (at last!!!). I'm working out in the Sabhan Industrial Area so I reckon I could make it for, say, 6pm (unless the boss decides otherwise). Is there anywhere to get changed? If not, I'll change at the office.

Patrick

Edit: When does it start to get too hot to run in the evenings?

Britpat wrote:

Yep. Transportation is solved (at last!!!). I'm working out in the Sabhan Industrial Area so I reckon I could make it for, say, 6pm (unless the boss decides otherwise). Is there anywhere to get changed? If not, I'll change at the office.

Patrick

Edit: When does it start to get too hot to run in the evenings?

mate, i just sent you a private message with my contact for tomorrow's jog. we will do it at around 6:30PM,

Cheers,
Mo

mo.mughrabi wrote:

Hi all,

Basketball
Running
Scuba Diving
Chill outsMo

Hi Mo & Co.!
all this sounds great.
I am trying to organise a footie on soap with some friends too.
call me for jogging, basket ball, shisha etc
Kalid

kalid13: I got your phone number. I don't think it is a good idea you posting your mobile number here in the public forum. so, edit the post and remove it since I've saved it by now.

I will send out an SMS a day before basketball (thursday), friday morning at 8:00AM we usually gather at the basketball court in marina. See you,

Hi Mo,
I'll wait for your call.
Where is the Marina basketball pitch? next to marina mall parking?
See you friday!
Cheers
kalid

http://whatsonkuwait.com/en/events/view … 04-23.html
(basket ball competition on friday 23rd at 2pm, Marina, Kuwait)

hi all..im new here and id like to join with jogging team...
im waiting bye

Hi guys went to basketball friday it was shut.

Mo or OK2017 any news about that salsa lessons at the hilton

it was shut because of the basketball tournament. Mo any update on the next session or jogging?kalid

@kalid13: This Friday I sent out an SMS that basketball is off because of the dust. I think, I had your number in my group list. If you've never received a message then I probably sent it off to someone else by mistake.

& yes, there was a tournement, I stopped by to watch yesterday but they had restrictions and no anyone could go in. So, I didn't stay for long and moved on...

@spaintown: Yes; It was dusty any way and I don't think its a good idea to breath more dust lol. As for salsa, I don't know what is the update on this since I was not really following up.

@b3den: Sure mate; send me a private message with you number and I usually send out an SMS before we begin jogging in 30 mints.

Am also contacting scuba centers now; maybe we can put a group together interested in scuba diving. I will post more details once I have a clear idea.

Cheers,

Somehow, they let me in without asking questions...Looking forward to meeting you all. been sometime since I played basketball so pardon my skills in advance! :)

anyone fancy playing footie on soapy pitch? there are a number of football pitches on the beach (15kd/hr for the whole pitch). could be fun. by night would be nice? ever done it before?

Are you guys interested in a backgammon tournament?

I wish I knew how to play...! :) enjoy!

@kalid13: It's the thought that counts!

DENIZKIZI:if you are still interested in salsa there is lesson at the hilton(fahaheel)  sundays,tuesday,thursday 8-9,at the health spa. have not being yet, to let u know how it is.

Denizkiki:-
Went to the Palms in the other day, which is great if you live around Salmiya and they have Salsa classes there too. So, you're covered! :-)

Are you guys interested in attending salsa classes?

i am interested in salsa did some lessons 2 years ago. find about this lessons at the plams. do not were is this plams past on any info to me.

What about starting to salsa classes early September? Who is in?

Hi Mo, you are right!! Kuwait can be very boring sometimes. ThatŽs a great idea. I would love to play basketball again. When and where is the next basketball meeting?? Me and my husband are divers. Our friends as well. Lets grow up this idea too.

All good!

Zelia

Hi all,
@ Mo, any news on basket ball this friday morning?
let us know please.
thanks buddy

@kalid13: I apologize Khalid for not getting in touch last week. I actually did not make it to the basketball court last Friday because I was kind of sick. But, this weekend is for sure, I will even private message you my mobile number so you can call me for follow up.

@zelia: This is GREAT. I've been looking for a group for scuba diving, I've already got in touch with a diving center and if we put a decent group together we get good discounts. Plus, we will create our own crowd and its will be fun as well. If you are interested, I will just start a head count first so i can talk to him about his offer.

Can you write to me what diving license you got? open water? and how many is your group? usually this trips will be arrange on Fridays. Is Friday going to be good for your and your mates?

Talk soon,