Canadian looking for a retirement home

We are a Canadian couple in our early 40's, looking for a place to retire and a few countries including Chile are on our list to investigate.

Do we have any Canadians on the forum here who have retired to Chile?  I would love to have a few email pen pals to chat with.

Please send me a message directly or respond here.

The biggest question on my mind is, how much Spanish should we know before our first visit to Chile? We plan to fly into Santiago then travel south from there, most likely by public transit.

Thank you for any information!

Hello Shaynelle.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks.

Karen :)

[moderated: no free ad on the forum + pls use the housing section.]

Well... chileans donŽt speak fluent english, just 2% of people do, but almost 45% of people will understand what you want to say and will try to help you friendly.

So if you want to come as a tourist with just a couple of weeks studyng spanish, i think you wont have big issues.

Now if you want to live in Chile, i recommend take some classes here, because our spanish is very "special", half of what we speak are chilean words or pronunciations. And if you live here, you will get big issues with english if you want to go to doctor for example, explain address to taxi drivers, go to bank, etc.

Good luck