Arabic lessons

I am interested in learning spoken Arabic (as spoke in the Gulf). Can anyone recommend any institute or teacher? I will be grateful for any leads.

Call Mohammed Talal Ameen +973 39215555. Tell him you got his number from Jack.

I will come with you Farhaz, would be great to learn Although me and languages really don't get on

Me too please :)

Thanks brightonguy - will call him and see how this can be arranged.

Jo and scottrace - Great idea if we can all do this together. :)  Will keep everyone posted.

I used to study Modern Standard Arabic earlier, but the grammar and rules got the better of me. Hence the desire to concentrate on spoken Arabic for now. Maybe will get back to grammar and rules later.

It's always the grammar and rules that kill it for me. I'm 43 years old and would fail an English exam, yet I can write it and speak it very well. I just don't see the point in verbs, adjectives and all the other rubbish that goes with it.

What is a verb or adjective btw??

Josnuggles wrote:

What is a verb or adjective btw??

:blink::dumbom:

I am not going to even attempt answering that question :)

Verb is an action word while adjective is a word to describe a thing, place or a person or a subject of the sentence either noun or a pronoun.

Fantastic Farhaz - am with Josnuggles - foreign language not my strong point and havent a clue with Arabic but as we live here I would love, love to learn - let me know what you manage to find out :)

Mohammed is a great guy and I'm sure he'll give you a discount for groups.

I would be very interested in taking Arabic language lessons, too. It would be great if you could keep me posted! Many thanks.

Hello all - i just spoke to the gentleman.

He teaches the Bahraini dialect, which is what we need.

He charges at BD10 per hour. He permits groups of upto 4 students, in which case the 4 participants can share the cost.

I have sent him my contact details. He will notify me when he restarts his classes.

I will of course keep the forum posted.

Fantastic - looking forward to it

Sounds great, thanks for organising Farhaz

Bumping this up to get the momentum going again.

Those interested so far:

1) Me :)
2) Josnuggles
3) scottrace
4) ilamazzy
5) My wife

If we get three more, we could have two groups of 4 each. Otherwise I will speak to the teacher and see if he will tolerate all 5 of us together.

--- Watch this space ---

Ah sorry, though it was just the 4 of us, you must have had a PM instead of someone posting on the forum. I'm looking forward to being totally humiliated in front of friends. Languages go in one ear and straight out of the other. Learnt French at school for 5 years and can't remember a word!!

I confirm I would like to attend, if that's ok... I pm you, Farhaz, with my contact details. My husband (Gioxx on the forum) might be interested, too. I would speak to him and let you know, but it mainly depends on what day and time we are having classes. Thanks for organising this.

Jo...  and il... , Thanks for your responses and pms. And ilamazzy, your hubby is certainly welcome to join. More the merrier. More people for Jo to show off her spoken Arabic. :)

Please PM me days of the week convenient for each of you and I will try to work out a schedule that will suit all of us.

If I have two more victims ... errr ... Sorry ... potential students, we will have 8 and enough for two classes.

Thanks everyone.

I'm okay for Sunday - Wed.

Show off my Arabic???? Really!!!!

Tnx Jo. Noted. :)

Sent everyone PMs with more information. Please check and respond.

Arabic lessons??? I could give it a try too :D

Excellent. Will PM you with details.

Hi all. The first batch is all set and will start on 2 Sept.

if anyone else is interested, pls post here or pm me your interest and we can work with the teacher to start another batch.

Arabic classes!!where n when am in ,can I join u guys?

Thanks for your interest, Goodman. We will probably have another batch next month. I will keep you informed.

First lesson was tonight, great fun and lovely to finally meet everyone. Thanks for giving us the contact Brightonguy.

Sure was nice to meet everyone. And the lesson was good too, though a bit chaotic and smoky :)
Tnx for the contact brightonguy.

Next question ... and this is not off topic ... where can we buy gas masks? :lol:

Farhaz wrote:

Sure was nice to meet everyone. And the lesson was good too, though a bit chaotic and smoky :)
Tnx for the contact brightonguy.

Next question ... and this is not off topic ... where can we buy gas masks? :lol:

It was noisy, smoky, cold and not very well organised tbh. I would have much preferred a better location which I'm hoping will happen tomorrow.

Not off topic as it's your topic

Same feeling, Jo. My better (now bitter) half did not follow the lesson at all since she was stuck in the corner. And I went into a trance (or more like semi-coma) half way through due to excessive second hand inhalation. I did not mind it at the start, since the crowd was thin, but did not realize the place gets crowded like it did, especially on a week day.

Hope today's location is better. Otherwise we will have to make some changes.

Yes we do need a new location as discussed this evening. I'm really sorry your wife did not follow the lesson. I didn't on either occassion as it was dealt with too quietly, too quickly, and not in a teaching situation i.e - whiteboard, clear pronunciation, giving time to write things down, starting the lesson on time etc etc

Now we cant complain about starting on time as it was us that were late Josnuggles ;)

Well... I agree that a lot of things could be improved having a whiteboard, doing more conversation (rather than only writing words), preparing a more focused class, etc.

However we have to consider that we only pay 3 BD for every session. And to be fair - at that price - I am not expecting to have the same service as a private school...

Where did you guys have the lesson?

First day at the Dome Cafe in Juffair.
Second session at the Gulf Hotel.

Yeah, Dome Cafe can get a bit smokey up stairs. Himself is a smoker too so probably that's why he wanted that place. Tell him next time that the majority of the people in the group does not smoke, I'm sure he'll understand.

Yesterday we went to the gulf hotel
Less smokey... ;)

That's cool. When's the third one scheduled for?

Next Monday. Hope all goes well. Tnx

Trust everyone has sorted out their respective classes and venues.