Places to visit in Cuba

Hi,

For the ones living in Cuba, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Cuba, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Cuba?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

There are many interesting and beautiful places to visit in this largest Caribbean island. Why not start with a few days in Havana for the music,great night life, historical and colonial architectures. Then, move on east towards Varadero, there you would find the most beautiful beaches in the world. Move further east towards the city of Cienfuegos and then to Santa Clara for a visit to the famous 'Che' museum. The fifteenth century city of Trinidad is well worth a visit. If you want to see more of Cuba, then I suggest you move further south towards Santiago de Cuba and the historical city of Bayamo. Cuba is simply enchanting. Good luck.

Julie, folks don't go to Cuba for a couple of days or a week, but usually two weeks. If the visitor wants to stay in a resort hotel and indulge in the three B's (Buffet, Booze and Beach), then go to Varadero on a package tour. There are 57 hotels on a 14mile long peninsula and apart from those working there, you won't meet many Cubans. If on the other hand you wish to experience Cuba, its ambience and people, stay in casa particulars (bed & breakfasts) Use the web site  cubaparticular.com where you can find accurate details of accommodation, book in advance and receive confirmation by e-mail from Raul Fuentes the fellow who runs it, all at no charge. To travel use the Viazul coach service. Mike Guddoy suggests rather more travel than I would suggest, unless you want to spend a lot of time packing and re-packing plus sitting in the coach. If time is limited to two weeks, my suggestion would be:
Habana Vieja (0ld Havana)where most of the historical attractions are located:                          3 Nights
Vinales by Transtur. Vinales lies to the west of Havana unlike all the places Mike mentions.                     3 Nights
Trinidad by Transtur from Vinales (reserve seats at the bus office on the main street). In Trinidad you can listen to free music at the two open air bars by the church every night and/or visit the trovas. Also the Playa d'Ancon is only 8 km away and only 2 CUC return by bus.                         6 nights
Habana Vieja by Viazul from Trinidad prior to the flight home                                              2 nights
Like Mike, I wish all visitors to Cuba - where my home is - a good vacation which you will never forget.
Oh! finally about Santa Clara, the best museum is where the train wreck has been preserved and is an historic site. The Che Memorial is way over the top and for those who have studied Che and his deep Marxist philosophy, he certainly would not have approved the extravagance - which reflects Fidel's use for promotional purposes. But there is little else in Santa Clara apart from the Boulevard at night.