Places to visit in Guatemala

Hi,

For the ones living in Guatemala, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Guatemala, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Guatemala?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

I am sad no one from Guatemala has answered this. I have never made it to Gutemala the closest I got was on the Usamasinta river on the Mexican border visiting Yaxchillian. I found Paradise and made a friend Liz in Paradisio Chiapis MX. I would move there if I could have my gun. So I am eyeing the Peten area of Guatemala hope to disentangle myself enough for a trip there this winter. I am dying to get to Tikal and El Mirador, yup Myan ruin nut writing a book so great photos and personal visits are a must. Lake Atitilan is supposed to be one of the most beautiful lakes on the planet. The most beautiful lake on the planet is in China I have a friend near there I hope to visit one day, he did send pics of it. The great wall Terra cotta warriors. Check out the lonely planet forum and see where other people are visiting. Anyone out there have other ideas?

I recently visited the touristy area of Peten (province,state)? stayed in Los Flores and visited Tical, it was a great and relaxing time...I would highly reccomend it